Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:19:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KYC - Passports and documents for sale on Dark Web  (Read 624 times)
Wallytred

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:17:33 PM

Anyway the copy of passport is not a legal doc for bank for example. So it's useless and I wonder who buy such info.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redhotiron2004

Activity: 111
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:20:38 PM

There is always a chance that this kind of things would be used by imposters. But, the thing is how far they are going to use the documents. If they are used for normal activities then it doesn't hurt. But if they are used for illegal activities then there is a good chance that the person can get into trouble. But, there is no way this can be avoided. Until or unless a blockchain solution such as "CIVIC" is used for verification.
2Pac

Activity: 749
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:23:00 PM

Anyway the copy of passport is not a legal doc for bank for example. So it's useless and I wonder who buy such info.
You can impersonate anyone on the passport online. You can scam people with another person's identity online.
Also, "information is power".
hiburak

Activity: 1655
Merit: 600

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:25:49 PM

KYCs have to be done by reliable third parties. I hope we will get there at some point. For the time being, it doesn't make sense to risk your personal information for ICOs that you can only invest small amounts.
Onion_Azz

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:26:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up... another reason to fully investigate the ICO your interested in before you send your details
pooque

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:27:16 PM

That is the consequences of joining these KYC verifications because you will risk to lose your privacy and security by joining these verifications,we can opt out to joing these ICOs so we wont lose anything,the IDs might be sold to anyone in the market so we need to be careful in every move we are doing,we can still aquire these tokens in exchanges so our security and identity wont be compromised.

radokan

Activity: 291
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:30:57 PM

There has been a huge influx of passport available for sale on the Dark Web.

Also have seen posts where people are being accused of double entry into ICO's because the scammers used their passport information prior to them getting signed up. 
It doesn't surprise me at all.
Crypto stands for anonymity and lately all I have been reading is KYC here, KYC there KYC everywhere. And when thing like this happens everyone is surprised.
dealthequeen

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 09:29:18 PM

Wow, I almost, repeat almost, feel bad for the people that actually give this information up.  I'm personally just boycotting any project that requires KYC.  Some good ones may pass me by, but, I would rather retain my information and not have it sold then to sell out to KYC...
hrt197

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 09:41:07 PM

Usually you hear about thefts and hackers.  Here in the crypto world we have people that give up the information for free.  Hopefully they learn a life lesson.

Remember target, JPMorgan have both been hacked and information stolen so even giving this to a proper project or KYC service is still a horrible idea.
matsusomoto

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 09:43:18 PM

Also have seen posts where people are being accused of double entry into ICO's because the scammers used their passport information prior to them getting signed up. 

Thats dangerous because our ID might be used in some illegal activities and we wont know what will happen to use,the best thing to do is not to join any of these ICOs because we can still have these tokens after these projects has been listed to exchanges,in that way our privacy wont be compromised,not all the people are willing to risk their privacy.

TheCryptoChaser

Activity: 154
Merit: 25

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 09:45:49 PM

Is there any evidence that someone could show me about this news ? If it's true that would be horrible for people who participated in ICO's.
maereglapo

Activity: 181

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 09:59:32 PM

This is the reason why i dont recommend KYC verifications for most of my friends,because i have seen the posibility of our IDs being sold and used into wrong doings,such as illegal activities and you will just be suprised when you have a bunch of criminal cases because your identity was stolen.I wont be joining any of these KYC verifications because i use cryptocurrencies to protect my privacy.
rost1989

Activity: 308
Merit: 11

Decentralize $15-Trillion Global Trade Industry

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:13:38 PM

Ohh. I am afraid of this issue a lot. These docs could be used in some money laundering things and this could cause a big problems for simple people or investors. Thus, today we have a trend for KYC ICOs that could solve this problem in the future.
But the best way is just to be carefull with scammy ICOs and at least to review partners of ICO project that perform KYC.

Tstar
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

Decentralized Asset Management Platform

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:18:33 PM

What do you expect when people are giving their passports for random airdrop scams?

Value your privacy! Value your life! KYC on ICO's and airdrops are against the whole idea of crypto currencies. I will never buy tokens or participate in a ICO with KYC. And KYC airdrops are totally out of question.

███████████████████████████
████▄▀▀▀███████████████████
█████▄    ▀▀▀██████████████
██████▄▄       ▀▀▀█████████
███████▀██▄▄        ▀▀█████
████████   ▀▀▀      ▄██████
█████████▄▄       ▄████████
█████████  ▀▀   ▄██████████
██████████    ▄████████████
███████████ ▄██████████████
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄██████
███████████████████████████
.COOK.
     Decentralized Asset Management Platform     
│▐ █     WHITEPAPER   │   TWITTER   │   LINKEDIN   │   TELEGRAM     █ ▌│
          ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀█████▄▄
███████████████▄▄█▀██████

█████████████████████████
██▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████
██▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████████
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀███████▀███▄█
█████████████████████▀███▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
▀█████████████▀█████████▀▀▀
       ██ ▀█▀ ▄██
       ▀██▄ ▄███▀
        ▀▀████▀▀
✔  Accessible
✔  Secure
✔  Transparent
anthinguy21

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

OPEN GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:24:32 PM

It's very normal Smiley. But I think everyone shouldn't buy it cause maybe it's just a fake passport or document created by photoshop and maybe you're not the only one buy these fake passport so maybe there are a lot of people have the same passport like you and what will happen if all of them also take part in the same ICO? It's not the only problem, there are a lot of worse problems related to this one so try to stay away from buying fake passport or document Smiley

cryptoheroin

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:37:29 PM

This is the main reason why i wont join any of these ICOs that requires our identity cards ,because it might be sold or stolen from these people who are conducting KYCs,instead of joining these pre-sales i would just wait for these projects to get listed in exchanges so that my privacy wont be compromised or stolen by anyone.

Read Our WHITEPAPER              (((     BIDIUM     )))           Pre-ICO Active | Join NOW!
Revolutionizing Auction & Freelance Hiring with a Crypto Exchange Powered by Blockchain
███████████ |     FACEBOOK     |       TWITTER       |     TELEGRAM     | ███████████
sotoshihero

Activity: 850
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:50:36 PM

Thats dangerous because our ID might be used in some illegal activities and we wont know what will happen to use,the best thing to do is not to join any of these ICOs because we can still have these tokens after these projects has been listed to exchanges,in that way our privacy wont be compromised,not all the people are willing to risk their privacy.

I think this is alarming too. Personal information is covered by data privacy act but how can we be sure that the company we've sent our info will not use,sell or abused our information. Now, there are leaking information on  dark web, our personal security is compromise.
cryptomorphines

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:58:38 PM

We shouldnt support any of these ICOs so that they wont require our IDs anymore,because our privacy shouldnt be compromised by anyone nor be use to any illegal activities.Im sure if there is no one who will join these ICOs they wont require any KYC verifications so that they can raise money as it is the main reason why ICOs do exist.
msspink

Activity: 18

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 11:07:38 PM

We shouldnt support any of these ICOs so that they wont require our IDs anymore,because our privacy shouldnt be compromised by anyone nor be use to any illegal activities.Im sure if there is no one who will join these ICOs they wont require any KYC verifications so that they can raise money as it is the main reason why ICOs do exist.

I agree.  Under no circumstances am I giving any of my KYC data over the internet, no matter what the company/project.  I'm very surprised that most people haven't already come to this conclusion and haven't just avoided these all together.  I know I will be. 
Johnnywelsh

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 11:12:12 PM

I find it hard to believe people who paid money for stolen passport details are using them to apply for ICOs with KYC! Only way I'd find that somewhat feasible is if they'd been sold on so many times that script kiddies are getting their hands on bulk passports for a few dollars each.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: