Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:54:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin.org page -> someone with rights please fix  (Read 3091 times)
antares (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:49:39 PM

Hey, I was just too lazy to enter the "forum" part in the bitcoin forums address and went -> bitcoin.org, clicked on forums there. Seems like someone replaced the link to the forums with a link to a google search for bitcoin forums. I suggest someone with write permissions on the main page should change this back.

thank you and have a nice evening

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tabshift

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:03:26 PM

Hey, I was just too lazy to enter the "forum" part in the bitcoin forums address and went -> bitcoin.org, clicked on forums there. Seems like someone replaced the link to the forums with a link to a google search for bitcoin forums. I suggest someone with write permissions on the main page should change this back.

thank you and have a nice evening

I just noticed this as well.. its very strange.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:06:08 PM

This change is intentional, as part of the effort to make the current forums less official.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
BitVapes

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 11:10:56 PM

I heard they were moving the forums to the weusecoins domain to seperate the user forums from the official page because reporters were quoting random bs from the forums as official announcements from the bitcoin developers

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:11:14 PM

Much as I like this forum I think the StackExchange site (link in my sig) will be much more useful, assuming we can get it off the ground. Too much politics, advertising, scamming and slander here; doesn't put the best spin on bitcoin unfortunately.
TeraPool

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:57:33 AM

Much as I like this forum I think the StackExchange site (link in my sig) will be much more useful, assuming we can get it off the ground. Too much politics, advertising, scamming and slander here; doesn't put the best spin on bitcoin unfortunately.

We had implemented a "smite/like" button or something like that a few months back but it was quickly disabled for some reason.

A "points" system telling us who to listen to would be much better than the current system (post count).

All the whackos rack up massive post counts overnight anyways by making 50+ posts per day. (Yes, some people post that much!)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:20:45 AM

We had implemented a "smite/like" button or something like that a few months back but it was quickly disabled for some reason.

Because nobody knows why they are getting downvoted.

lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

agree with the switch but the google link is dumb. and an unannounced google link without even a mod sticky or something is even dumber.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 05:14:20 AM

and an unannounced google link without even a mod sticky or something is even dumber.
Huh? The whole point is that we're no longer affiliated with Bitcoin.org. Why would they have us post a sticky?

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:28:07 AM

The google link will AFAIK be removed as well, in time. This is just an intermediate solution so that people won't lose track of the forums entirely until they have been relocated to a new domain.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:02:20 AM

This change is intentional, as part of the effort to make the current forums less official.
Nothing about Bitcoin is official. Even the Satoshi client software is "original" rather than "official".
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 11:14:11 AM

The google link on the bitcoin.org homepage is/was my idea.

"The One True Forums" for bitcoin doesn't make sense to me-- the whole point of bitcoin is to be decentralized. I sincerely believe that open and free competition makes everything better, and I hope that more places to discuss bitcoin pop up and compete to be the best.

In the future, I'd like most of the links on the bitcoin.org home page to be google searches, including the "download bitcoin" links (I think we'll see some great new bitcoin clients released over the next six months or so).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:56:37 AM

The google link on the bitcoin.org homepage is/was my idea.

One would hope nobody will be successful in maliciously manipulating google rankings.
In the future, I'd like most of the links on the bitcoin.org home page to be google searches, including the "download bitcoin" links (I think we'll see some great new bitcoin clients released over the next six months or so).

Again, the google index can be manipulated.

I am not sure what is the best solution to the problem will be.

onesalt

Activity: 756

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 03:04:41 PM

The best solution is to leave it. The developers don't want bitcoins name sullied by this, in my opinion,  somewhat awful forum.
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 03:19:38 PM

I don't think this is such a great idea.  Like others have mentioned, page rankings can be manipulated.  Also, Google itself is massively centralized; I'm not sure how making all the links point to Google is supposed to decentralize things.

It's possible to go overboard with wanting to decentralize.  I think it's better to just let bitcoin.org be associated with "the Satoshi client".  Remember bittorrent.com?  Does anyone actually use "the Cohen client" anymore?  Eventually bitcoin.org will matter a lot less, because like Bittorrent, Bitcoin will just be thought of as part of the internet.

In the case of the forum, the Google link doesn't do enough to dissociate it.  There's already a link to the wiki, which links to the forum, and can be edited to link to any number of additional forums.  That should be good enough.
lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 03:23:41 PM

Why would you link to google searches? Where is this common practice?

If I click a link that says "Bitcoin Clients" I expect to get a list of clients, not get redirected to a search. if I wanted to go to google and search for "bitcoin clients" I would have done so.

Just remove the forum link altogether or something, the unannounced google search link is bizarre and feels passive aggressive.

Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 04:54:51 PM

There's already a link to the wiki, which links to the forum, and can be edited to link to any number of additional forums.

I just went ahead and did this:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Forums

The "Forum" link on the front page of the wiki now points there, and I listed all the Bitcoin general discussion sites I could think of.
Furyan

Activity: 175

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 05:22:03 PM

I'm fine with the Google search.  Seems appropriate.

I think the Wiki page with Forums links is a better idea, nice thinking Chris!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 05:43:11 PM

I'm in FULL support of this change.  More activity on bitcoinforums.net would be very welcome.   Wink
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 05:47:24 PM

I just went ahead and did this:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Forums

The "Forum" link on the front page of the wiki now points there, and I listed all the Bitcoin general discussion sites I could think of.
I also like this idea Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: