Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:13:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is not politically-neutral.  (Read 4973 times)
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 12:55:04 AM

Strength and Might is usually correct when its not limited to the elite few. That's another premise of mine.

What is protection? Who is entitled to protection? How do they get it?
Protection is what defends a persons claim to something. One is entitled to protection by having the correct amount of value to espouse it whether it be through your inherent value as a human being or direct payment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MountainMan

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:55:30 AM

People are stupid. History proves it. People do stupid, incredibly self-detructive things over and over and over again. You can't expect any individual to be rational over any given period of time, because we're not wired for rational. We're wired for emotional, psychological, intuitive, and inspired thinking. No matter how perfect your system is in theory, in practice it will fail because humans are fallible.

Anarcho-Capitalism is dependent on individuals behaving rationally.
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 12:55:54 AM

Protection in a collective form by the weak exists. It's called government.

Please change your writing style, it is a horrendous mix of pseudointellectual and trying too hard.
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 12:57:02 AM

Protection in a collective form by the weak exists. It's called government.

Please change your writing style, it is a horrendous mix of pseudointellectual and trying too hard.
No, it's not. For instance, the supreme court has ruled that an individual citizen is not entitled to protection. The protection is only according to the whims of the few that have a hold over the system and it's not the people.
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 12:58:03 AM

People are stupid. History proves it. People do stupid, incredibly self-detructive things over and over and over again. You can't expect any individual to be rational over any given period of time, because we're not wired for rational.
Then it's over. We can't expect anything greater of our rulers then. Let's throw in the towel. Humanity is doomed.
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 01:00:43 AM

Also, irrational people voting for a ruler? That's hopeless. Let's just hire a benevolent dictator! He'll know what's best!
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 01:01:41 AM

There is no such thing as a apathetic tool unless it is used inanely with a handicapped view of reality.

Please don't anamorphize inanimate objects, they hate then you do that.   Smiley

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:12:13 AM

Bitcoin is a tool. It is politically-neutral since it is incapable of holding political views. People on the other hand are not politically-neutral.

It is a tool and tools are designed with a purpose. Tools with a specific purpose will serve these purposes along with their shared sentiments. The purpose is obviously freedom.

If a tool were truly neutral, it would be incapable of anything. To say a screw-driver is neutral is to say it's not for screwing screws when obviously that's its intended purpose.

There is no such thing as a apathetic tool unless it is used inanely with a handicapped view of reality.

I'm a big fan of both bitcoin and PM's, but...

...in practice I suspect that bitcoin and PM's would/will be an even more effective tool than is debt-based money for a small group of people to manipulate a larger group.  That is to say, to rob them of a good portion of their freedom and guide the wealth of civilizations into a few people's pockets.

So, I do not really see bitcoin or PM's as the ultimate final solution but rather as a tool to help us during the death throws of our current debt-based system (USD being the proxy by virtue of it's reserve status) which is reaching EOL and a moderating force to help steer a replacement debt-based monetary system on along a more healthy path.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 01:38:44 AM

Protection rackets upon the weak exist. It's called government.

fyp.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
MountainMan

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:08:01 AM

Then it's over. We can't expect anything greater of our rulers then. Let's throw in the towel. Humanity is doomed.

Funny. I was just pointing out a flaw in Anarcho-Capitalism (actually, it's a flaw in humanity.) It's part of every human endeavour. When we overcome it, we do great things. The American system of government, when it works, is a great example of this. When we get a good ROI from our taxes, low regulation, and minimal disruption of our daily lives, while we pursue our dreams... education, invention, wealth-building, family ties, whatever.

There are more abuses and examples of corruption in the American system every day, and I'd be the last to say America is unique in allowing people great freedom. I just used it here as an example of government working.

Government, when it works, is a collective expression of the will of the majority, constrained by rational boundaries, respectful of the rights of all. In the US, the boundaries are the system of law, the Constitution, and all the derived codes and policies.

Bitcoin isn't political. It doesn't mean you can avoid taxes, or live outside the law, or anything like that. It's still a tool of commerce. You can still use it for political purposes, both as a currency and as a means of trying to live outside the system. It's your usage, not BitCoin itself, that gives it politics. I would hesitate to accept the wisdom of trying to do so, but again, you bring the politics to the table, not BitCoin.

That's what people are trying to say.
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 02:10:46 AM

So, the creator's intentions are irrelevant?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Satoshi_Nakamoto
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 02:14:21 AM

So you beleve your life and liberty would be guaranteed by... What, exactly? You're talking bout a state of nature, which while interesting as a thought experiment in political theory has no basis in realty.

So again, accepting that we live in this universe, what should the role of a government be with regards to it's citizens?

My life and liberty would be guaranteed by my own efforts and the efforts of those who voluntarily contributed to that endeavor. There is nothing wrong with collective action and mutual aid as long as it is voluntary.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
ronwan

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:20:57 AM

Your wording makes it sound a bit like you think decentralized means distributed wealth? There are still going to be obscenely rich bitcoin holders and very poor bitcoin holders.

I don't expect Bitcoin to repeal Pareto's principle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

If everyone tries to produce the best they can. I expect 80% to go to the top 20%.  This is actually fractal and so the top 4% get 64% of income.  This is natural and fair to me.
But Politicians and other Tax Parasites might have to find honest gainful employment instead of riding along with their feet up and not peddling.
MountainMan

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:22:07 AM

I think that's thoroughly obvious. It's uncontrollable by its very nature... you can't attach any sort of ideology to the use of BitCoin, because all ideologies (except perhaps nihilism) are equally attachable... it's certainly more useful to some than others, but that's part of the politics, not the tool.
Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:23:25 AM

Bitcoin is a tool.

So is Atlas.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 02:23:58 AM

...but if Bitcoin is accepted by the majority, it will achieve a more free society.

This does not mean it is tied to an ideology in your eyes even though it meets its ends?
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 02:24:52 AM

You're just jealous because he gets laid more than you.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
MountainMan

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:29:24 AM

"A more free society" isn't a political ideology. It's a result of using a tool. A political ideology simply provides a lens to view the results of using a tool... one ideology will say it's good, another will say it's bad. There's nothing inherently political about the usage, by itself.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:39:14 AM

Boy, all this attention from Atlas.  Amusing.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 03:46:01 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Satoshi_Nakamoto

Yes
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: