Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:37:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Transfer Taking Forever......  (Read 5208 times)
IncreaseMyT (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:28:35 PM

I sent a couple coins from my blockchain wallet to my Bit QT.  It is taking forever.  Is it wise to cancel sending them and start over?  Or should I just wait it out.  Its been a couple of hours now.

I don't know how to look up the transaction on the blockchain yet Smiley

I started accepting them for Biz so I wanted to play with it so I could work out kinks like this before I really got started.
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:31:53 PM

It shouldn't take that long, have you checked your address is correct?

IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:37:37 PM

it shows in my BitQT but it just says unconfirmed.  In blockchain wallet it showed only 2 % or 2 nodes working.
bitcoinchecker

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Provider of Bitcoin products and services

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:38:41 PM

Post the receiving address here

Quality Bitcoin T-shirts for sale http://thevillageidiotme.ipage.com/shop.html
IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:44:34 PM

14tuFEfbr3qwTSWRQ7zsCXk2nw4DMXK95a

I have used that address before and it worked great.
clipcoins

Activity: 119

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:49:31 PM

https://blockchain.info/address/14tuFEfbr3qwTSWRQ7zsCXk2nw4DMXK95a

Well if somehow you didn't include miners fee in there, it can take a long time. I had one like that they other day. I've got think it will go through eventually. 

And you can't "cancel" it.  Once you send BTC, it is sent...no way to call it back.  If I am wrong about this, someone please correct me.

Opened Now: Clipcoins.com
IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:53:58 PM

Oh I see, I didn't realize I should put a fee in Smiley

I thought you could cancel unconfirmed transactions? 
clipcoins

Activity: 119

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:56:19 PM

Oh I see, I didn't realize I should put a fee in Smiley

I thought you could cancel unconfirmed transactions?  

Well most of the programs/sites automatically add the miners fee in there.  It is usually .0001 or .0005. BTC.  
And nope, you can't cancel it once it's sent.  

I think maybe they can possibly "bounce back" to you if they never get confirmed somehow but I don't even know if this is the case.

You are probably ok and it will go through today or in the next few days.  It only took a few extra hours with mine that I didn't have a fee on.

Opened Now: Clipcoins.com
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 05:10:31 PM

You issue is due to two factors.

1. The input to your transaction is new and hasn't had time to build up much priority yet.  Therefore most miners will confirm higher priority free transactions instead of yours.

2. You can provide an incentive to miners to confirm your transaction by including a transaction fee of at least 0.0001 BTC, but your transaction does not include any fee at all.

Your transaction will almost certainly confirm eventually when there are no longer any other higher priority free transactions pending.

A fee isn't required, but in this situation it most certainly would have helped get your transaction confirmed faster.

There isn't an easy way to "cancel" a transaction once it has been sent.  Some wallets (such as blockchain.info) will stop transmitting/relaying the transaction if it hasn't been confirmed after a while (I think blockchain.info waits 48 hours).  At that point, you can attempt to respend the same input with a fee if you use a wallet that has "coin control".
IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 05:25:15 PM

Next time I will put a fee in there to move the money.  This only my 5th transaction and 3rd done on QT.

Thanks for the input, glad I played around with transferring it.
bitcoinchecker

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Provider of Bitcoin products and services

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 05:31:13 PM

Next time I will put a fee in there to move the money.  This only my 5th transaction and 3rd done on QT.

Thanks for the input, glad I played around with transferring it.

In QT under "settings" you can set it to automatically include a fee for when you send from the wallet.

Quality Bitcoin T-shirts for sale http://thevillageidiotme.ipage.com/shop.html
IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 05:47:49 PM

Im on a Mac is it in a different place?  I am assuming under preferences.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:07:46 PM

Im on a Mac is it in a different place?  I am assuming under preferences.

Correct.

With Preferences you'll get an options window.

There will be buttons to choose between 4 sets of options (Main, Network, Window, and Display).  Choose "Main".

You'll see the following description:

Optional transaction fee per kB that helps make sure your transactions are processed quickly.  Most transactions are 1 kB.

Then you'll see a "Pay transaction fee" text entry box.

Set it to 0.00010000 BTC and click the "Apply" button.  You're all set.
IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 06:25:38 PM

Thanks for the info, that makes it much easier.

The transaction went through but it was weird, I sen another out of the same wallet to a different addy in BitQT and it took a while too like 30 minutes, then all the sudden they both went through at the exact same time.  

Weird Smiley  the second one did have a transaction fee of .0005

Does this mean that the same miner is doing both transactions?  They have the same number of confirms.

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:31:03 PM

I started accepting them for Biz so I wanted to play with it so I could work out kinks like this before I really got started.

You should use something like bitpay to accept bitcoins -- they'll automatically convert it and send you dollars/euro/etc.  Otherwise you take a risk of the BTC value dropping before you can convert it.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 06:37:09 PM

We do use Bitpay, just got the account.  Now I am setting up the SSL for the site.  So I can accept way more.  I did not need it before as clients used there cc with us through a different secure medical portal.

I actually prefer to keep some in bitcoin though, I am willing to take a little risk.  The amount of people that pay me in bitcoin initially will probably only be 10% of my business, to me it is less risky than 401k Smiley

But yes I will need to convert some cash too, mostly, if I can convince my clients to use it.  My clients are a tough bunch Smiley But if they do accept it, the will use a lot I am sure.

Thank You though!  

I was actually thinking of having a Bitpay and Coinbase, as Coinbase gives you the first mill in transact free.  But I am not completely sold on the exchange rate for them, or if they guarantee it like Bitpay.

IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 07:33:02 PM

Does this mean that the same miner is doing both transactions?  They have the same number of confirms.

Wanted to bump this question Smiley
dragonkid

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 07:45:40 PM

Wanted to bump this question Smiley

I doubt that is the case. Bitcoin is decentralised and P2P, so in practice and theory. It should not be the same miner. There are thousands of miners out there, the possibility of having the same miner is very slim.

IncreaseMyT (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 07:48:18 PM

Strange they went through at the EXACT same time and have the exact same confirmations.

Last question and I will leave you guys alone for a bit Smiley

When backing up Bit QT should I save an extra copy? to a USB?

Just thinking if some how mu computer crashed.
dragonkid

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 07:59:43 PM

Strange they went through at the EXACT same time and have the exact same confirmations.

Last question and I will leave you guys alone for a bit Smiley

When backing up Bit QT should I save an extra copy? to a USB?

Just thinking if some how mu computer crashed.
No, you don't need to save a copy of Bitcoin-QT, what you need to back up is just your wallet.dat

You should save a copy of your wallet.dat, and put it in a save place. wallet.dat is where your wallet address is. If you can I suggest using Truecrypt and encrypt the wallet.dat and do a symbolic link to it. You might need to google this.

How it work is that you will need to unencrypt your wallet.dat before you open Bitcoin-QT using TrueCrypt. After you finish with Bitcoin-QT, close it. Then unmount the TrueCrypt volume.

If you encrypt your wallet.dat, no one can use it. Even if there is a trojan on your Mac, and someone stole your wallet.dat. It is just a symbolic link, therefore they can't get your wallet.

Read these:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20150/getting-started-with-truecrypt-on-mac-os-x/
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

This one is for Linux, but Mac OSX commands should be the same when you use the Console.
http://es.slideshare.net/jonmatonis/securing-your-bitcoin-wallet-in-ubuntu

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: