Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:24:59 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to safely hide Private Key ETH. I found a great way.  (Read 327 times)
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 10:16:05 PM

It will be a bit hard for a forgetful person like me to do this, but might work for others.

Another option, if you plan to keep your Eth tokens for a long time, imo the safest way to secure your private key is to save it offline. If you plan to check your balances, don't open your wallet and just go to block explorers.
JeromeTash
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1215

Heisenberg

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 10:28:59 PM

I think the first step is to avoid visiting suspicious links and ending up getting phished... because once your private key is phished all the measures you will have done above will be useless.

█████████████████████████
██
█████▀▀███████▀▀███████
█████▀░░▄███████▄░░▀█████
██▀░░██████▀░▀████░░▀██
██▀░░▀▀▀████████████░░▀██
██░░█▄████▀▀███▀█████░░██
██░░███▄▄███████▀▀███░░██
██░░█████████████████░░██
██▄░░████▄▄██████▄▄█░░▄██
██▄░░██████▄░░████░░▄██
█████▄░░▀███▌░░▐▀░░▄█████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
█████████████████████████
.ROOBET 2.0..██████.IIIIIFASTER & SLEEKER.██████.
|

█▄█
▀█▀
████▄▄██████▄▄████
█▄███▀█░░█████░░█▀███▄█
▀█▄▄░▐█████████▌▄▄█▀
██▄▄█████████▄▄████▌
██████▄▄████████
█▀▀████████████████
██████
█████████████
██
█▀▀██████████████
▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
    PLAY NOW    
Old Bindu

Activity: 532
Merit: 12

KEEP CALM and HODL

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 12:01:54 AM

Your idea is very interesting, it's true. But actually it's much easier to buy a hardware wallet and use it to access your coins that are stored on MEW.

●   KEEP CALM & HODL   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  KCH  ❱❱❱❱❱❱ 
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
waichi

Activity: 359
Merit: 100

Reinventing Decentralised Finance on BSC

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 12:05:23 AM

I always back up my private keys on cold storage. I write it down and print it with multiple copies. I do not just save it in my USB or in my computer because there is always a risk. I prefer having it all print out.

███ TWITTER Udego Finance WHITEPAPER ███
███ ANN Reinventing Decentralised Finance on BSC FACEBOOK PAGE ███
███ TELEGRAM AMM MEDIUM ███
DeepChipolino

Activity: 658
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:00:26 PM

Yes, the idea for protection is good. It is good if the funds are hold on one or two addresses. I create many addresses and I distribute my tokens and ether. And I keep the keys separately. So I'm not worried about hacking one of the addresses.

tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:04:19 PM

this is a good idea.... the only problem is that if for example someone like your wife, parents have to access wallet and they don't know this (for example after you died) everything will be lost...

I think that pieace of paper stored somewhere secret is still the best option...
cryptogeek101

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

homt.net

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 11:12:45 PM

I read a lot of posts on this topic. People offer any, even fantastic options. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages.
I found a simple and understandable solution. We have Private Key, for example

ch74nhcwrf4439nfv340fvq3rvn23mf2fj20f204f

You can leave it on the computer + print and put somewhere at home + make another copy on the email.
It is necessary to do only one thing. Change 4-6 characters.

For example, change ch74nh to krw49d    Further, it is enough to remember these 4-6 characters.

Now if a hacker gets access to your computer and finds a Private Key, he can not steal money.

But we can do even better. Replace characters not at the beginning of the Private Key, but somewhere in the middle. For example, the date of birth your wife on 12 December. You definitely will not forget this date. We change the symbols from 12 to 17.

My brother I want to use this opportunity and time to thank you for the wonderful and amazing information you have given us. The above information is very helping to us. I would personally implement what you have told about the security of our wallet and our private keys. Thanks for your great suggestions.

HOMT

Powered by,
DesmondHayes

Activity: 182
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:24:55 PM

Great post! Just for me. I store the key on my computer and on e-mail, I worry that I will be stolen. I took and changed 4 symbols. I'm sure I will not forget them. The problem with anxiety is solved.

The even better solution would be to think a new dictionary for your words and to change each alphabet letter with the different one. Afcorsee, to do that you must write your own alphabet on a piece of the paper (stay away from the computer and internet).

This piece of paper must be stored like your precious jewelry because if lost and you don't have and photo memory you can as well say only to your wallet. There are many ways which the users which don't own the hardware wallet are keeping their private keys anonymous.

Different solutions are welcome and I hope someone will provide the even better solution to the thread.

CONTRACTNET     |     At the intersection of Blockchain, IOT & SMART CONTRACTS             
|     WHITEPAPER     |     TWITTER     |      TELEGRAM     
████████████████████████  [  JOIN ICO   ●   10th MARCH  ] ████████████████████████
9jaflick

Activity: 728
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:53:54 PM

I read a lot of posts on this topic. People offer any, even fantastic options. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages.

You can leave it on the computer + print and put somewhere at home + make another copy on the email.

For example, change ch74nh to krw49d    Further, it is enough to remember these 4-6 characters.

Now if a hacker gets access to your computer and finds a Private Key, he can not steal money.

But we can do even better. Replace characters not at the beginning of the Private Key, but somewhere in the middle. For example, the date of birth your wife on 12 December. You definitely will not forget this date. We change the symbols from 12 to 17.
i did this sometime ago and my account still get hacked! how it happened i dont know, up till date the whole thing still remains a mystery to me, please dont get it twisted, this idea is highly welcome, atleast it can help some persons, but in-terms of security i strongly recommend Ledger Nano. for the now this is the only method of storing my fund that i can trust 80% 
blazingshockwave

Activity: 173
Merit: 10

Astorgame.com | ICO is LIVE | Get Your Bonus

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 08:02:35 AM

Its a bad idea because  4-6 letter is not easy to memorize specially if you are not using it daily. Remembering the date of your birthdate is easy to recall but private key that is given by the system is not easy to recall because it is random. Imagine that there are people who forgot their password on their email or any account that needs password because they seldom  use it.

Astorgame.com  | eSports & Online Gambling | ICO is LIVE
BONUS for early investors
▬▬▬ ◈◈  Website ◈◈  Whitepaper ◈◈  ANN thread ◈◈  Facebook ◈◈  Twitter ◈◈  Telegram ▬▬▬
JFry83 (OP)

Activity: 59

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 08:04:27 PM

My brother I want to use this opportunity and time to thank you for the wonderful and amazing information you have given us. The above information is very helping to us. I would personally implement what you have told about the security of our wallet and our private keys. Thanks for your great suggestions.

Thank you! I talked about the way many of us need.
Tryto

Activity: 76

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:13:15 PM

Moreover, those who do not change letters in places can do so: when they copy a private key, do it without two letters at the beginning.
 And then write them, after you put a copy in the wallet.
Gab20

Activity: 714
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:25:12 PM

This is a great and astute idea, but you know hackers can go extra mile to get what they need. The best would have being with the use of hardware wallet. This is more secured and reliable. It gives you rest of mind, without any form of fear whatsoever. The only thing to ensure is not allowing a third party to get hold of your hardware wallet.
faceoff97

Activity: 644
Merit: 113

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 09:30:23 PM

I simply store it at my messenger account. I made a message to my self and just check it out there when I need it. Though it might be also be lost, I also keep it on my email. Since private key is just a short combination i would try memorizing it. Im actually familiar on the first and last digit of my key. Printable might also help, keep it you wallet but dont let anyone see it.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: