Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:12:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My comments on trying to sell the r/Bitcoin subreddit:  (Read 7815 times)
Anonymous

July 19, 2011, 11:15:34 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2011, 04:20:10 AM by Atlas

I was wrong. I nearly acted against Reddit's property rights. I acted irrationally.

On a final note:

I apologize. Again, I was terribly wrong in considering this. It's disrespectful to those who contribute to the r/Bitcoin sub-reddit and leaves a bad mark on the Bitcoin community. I have nothing but remorse for this incident. I don't expect forgiveness but I wish to make it clear that I do not condone these previous actions of mine. I will not disrespect the Bitcoin community again.

I have acted accordingly and resigned. Theymos now has jurisdiction over the Reddit.

Godspeed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 11:23:24 PM

Property rights? You acted against the spirit of the website, the reason why it exists, against the interests of everyone who was subscribed and only in the interest of your own greedy, self-serving, corrupt and morally bankrupt ass.

In short, f*ck you. I that hope you're never given a position of power anywhere ever again
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:25:56 PM

I acted irrationally.
*sigh* Typical Atlas...

Story of your life.

Anonymous

July 19, 2011, 11:26:22 PM

Property rights? You acted against the spirit of the website, the reason why it exists, against the interests of everyone who was subscribed and only in the interest of your own greedy, self-serving, corrupt and morally bankrupt ass.

In short, f*ck you. I that hope you're never given a position of power anywhere ever again
I believe if somebody invested in a significant amount in the subreddit, they would care for their investment. Obviously it could go into the hands of somebody that wishes to turn it into a giant advertisement which is why I wouldn't of sold it in the end.
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:29:53 PM

I acted irrationally.
*sigh* Typical Atlas...

Story of your life.

I'm pretty sure we were all irrational at 17. That said, irrational moves come with consequences and that's always a good lesson.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:32:19 PM

I acted irrationally.
*sigh* Typical Atlas...

Story of your life.

I'm pretty sure we were all irrational at 17. That said, irrational moves come with consequences and that's always a good lesson.
Agreed. I'm glad that Atlas is recognizing that he's acting irrationally, as that's the first step to fixing the problem.

Anonymous

July 19, 2011, 11:37:40 PM

Theymos has jurisdiction over the sub-reddit now. When he becomes aware, I am sure he will handle the place nicely through proper delegation or otherwise.
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:12:40 AM

It would be pretty cool if one day you actually learn from your mistakes, instead of always convincing yourself you are right and continuing to make similar ones each time someone calls you out.
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 04:13:42 AM

It would be pretty cool if one day you actually learn from your mistakes, instead of always convincing yourself you are right and continuing to make similar ones each time someone calls you out.
I have never justified my wrong-doings.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 04:14:56 PM

Just want to say that I don't think what you tried to do was morally wrong. Perhaps the way you went about it was not the most honest, but it seems to me that you homesteaded r/Bitcoin and therefore should be able to do with it as you wish (within the reddit terms of use, of course).
Tawsix

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

I have always been afraid of banks.

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 05:59:59 PM

What the hell is Reddit?

Holy shit that made me laugh!

To a few choice people (YOU KNOW WHO U R): stop flaming Atlas, he's owning up to what he sees as his mistake.  No reason to be a complete dickwad to him, you're just making yourselves look like assholes.

bitclown

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:12:08 PM

Have fun with the donations, Atlas!
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:41:28 PM

What are you doing with the bitcoin donations you took from a few reddit users?
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:44:16 AM

takes a man to own up and apologize, though i didnt see too much wrong with you selling you moderators position. if you sold it to a shill someone would just make a different subreddit.

mooo for rent
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:54:50 AM

Well Atlas, where i come from people sell facebook fan pages and alikes like hot cakes and i don't see anything wrong with that.
People must be rewarded, if not for more, at least for the time dedicated to it.
I guess some people prefer those guys who try to trademark Bitcoin, never contributing a single bit to it Wink

To all the nay sayers: The man worked for it. Must he starve, instead of trying to capitalize on his time?
Or must he mug an old lady?  Roll Eyes
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 02:39:24 AM

To all the nay sayers: The man worked for it. Must he starve, instead of trying to capitalize on his time?

The argument has been that this was a broad community effort that Atlas has personally tried to cash in on. If that is the case, yes, he should starve over exploiting the goodwill of others. However, it seems he knew it was wrong and did the right thing in the end.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 06:30:00 AM

Well Atlas, where i come from people sell facebook fan pages and alikes like hot cakes and i don't see anything wrong with that.
People must be rewarded, if not for more, at least for the time dedicated to it.
I guess some people prefer those guys who try to trademark Bitcoin, never contributing a single bit to it Wink

Mugging and starving are the choices presented in a monetary system.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:31:31 PM

Mugging and starving are the choices presented in a monetary system.

Prove it.
woo

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 02:32:53 PM

I agree with making money off facebook fan pages - there are lots of crud that admin's need to delete, moderate and etc.
Reddit is different though. Users submit their own content. Users vote and weed through submissions. Users make and vote for witty comments.
Subreddit mods usually just weed through the spam filter and implement changes in css - not a difficult task, especially for a small subreddit.

It's called the reddit community for a reason.
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 10:48:49 PM

i didnt see too much wrong with you selling you moderators position. if you sold it to a shill someone would just make a different subreddit.
Anyone who would pay money to be a moderator of a community based on trust and responsibility is not someone who should ever be a moderator.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: