Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:55:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the bitcointalk merit system democratic?  (Read 265 times)
Luizrosevelt (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 11:43:29 AM
Merited by pooya87 (1), d57heinz (1), Xester (1)

I have been trying to rap my head around the incredibly appraisal system introduced by the admin. The system no doubt is strategic and delibrate to enhance the quality of posts. I sincerely respect the idea.
However, without trying to gainsay or second-guess the admin, I think the system puts our new members in a horrible disadvantage. It's rather  funny how top members look at posts from new members with eyes fixed at the rank first. This gives them a mindset, and they read such posts with a funny face that "this is a new kid in the block" . Regardless of ranks in here, some newbies are already ancestors in cryptocurrency environment and imo, it is condescending to dismiss posts based on ranks.
Finally, this system albeit it's promise of improving the post quality hinders new members from deserved merits from the merit "whales" lol. Few people are that generous to give a post from a newbie or jr member any chance or merit and the democratic sense in it is shaken to its very foundation. Let's embrace ideas irrespective of ranks, it feels good to have merits anyway.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 11:49:33 AM

i personally dont base my biases on ranking. i base it on how well thought out their posts are.

EG did they sit down and have a coffee and really think about what they were going to post. or are they just being sheep to the propaganda of reddit. copy and pasting nonsense and using the obvious buzzwords of the month that show no original thought

many people know i have helped and supported "noobs" to understand better, and also facepalmed and treated some legendary members as naive dimwhits.. purely based on what they post. not their ranking

as for democracy.. sorry but merits are not some voting system of electing anyone.. its more like a round of applause or a well done pat on the back. nothing more

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Luizrosevelt (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 11:53:55 AM

i personally dont base my biases on ranking. i base it on how well thought out their posts are.

EG did they sit down and have a coffee and really think about what they were going to post. or are they just being sheep to the propaganda of reddit. copy and pasting nonsense and using the obvious buzzwords of the month that show no original thought

many people know i have helped and supported "noobs" to understand better, and also facepalmed and treated some legendary members as naive dimwhits.. purely based on what they post. not their ranking

as for democracy.. sorry but merits are not some voting system of elections anyone.. its more like a round of applause or a well done pat on the back. nothing more
Thank you franky. Good to know ... by democratic, i don't mean vote in that context. I was referring to everyone getting equal attention.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 11:59:32 AM

as for democracy.. sorry but merits are not some voting system of elections anyone.. its more like a round of applause or a well done pat on the back. nothing more
Thank you franky. Good to know ... by democratic, i don't mean vote in that context. I was referring to everyone getting equal attention.

for me the equal attention comes from how accurate the title and content of the post is.
just like media news headlines. if the title of a news headline is boring it wont get my attention. if its inaccurate id read it and try to correct the person. if the title is groundbreaking and interesting id read and give it my attention.

i would say the titles on the main page do not reveal merits. so its the title that grabs attention.. not merits.
because you dont know what someones merit is until you have atleast read and clicked the title.

so if you want the attention. write a good title for your post

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:03:34 PM

However, without trying to gainsay or second-guess the admin, I think the system puts our new members in a horrible disadvantage. It's rather  funny how top members look at posts from new members with eyes fixed at the rank first. This gives them a mindset, and they read such posts with a funny face that "this is a new kid in the block" . Regardless of ranks in here, some newbies are already ancestors in cryptocurrency environment and imo, it is condescending to dismiss posts based on ranks.

Where do you base your information anyway? Yes, personally I always look at the rank of the poster; but it doesn't mean that I'm going to judge the post based on the rank. The argument of lower ranked members are always something like "higher ranks never notice our posts". Well, we would notice them if only their posts wasn't made of utter crap. Their posts are mostly just posts about merits, bounties, cheap shills, and full of broken english.

There's a reason why they're stuck and complaining in the bottom ranks with no merits. It's simply because they don't know enough about crypto for them to be given merits.

Topic: For the newbies complaining about Merits

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
fuer44

Activity: 1638
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2018, 12:07:21 PM

yes, this is fair because each member has every right to give merit to other members who are considered good quality posts and help the public.
CryptoRothschild

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:10:34 PM

The word "democratic" is totally out of place here, just as it is out of place in most of the discussions which happen in general in society. You should have referred to the concept of justice instead. As for the answer to THAT question, the answer is obviously no. However, this wouldn't mean that the opposite would be a better choice. As a matter of fact, this forum is becoming a trashcan of low level spamming of people who can't even write in un understandable way. I understand that the administrator of the forum is trying to save the forum from that. How effectively and with which collateral damage, this we will see.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
fabioganga

Activity: 478
Merit: 113

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2018, 12:11:35 PM

I have been trying to rap my head around the incredibly appraisal system introduced by the admin. The system no doubt is strategic and delibrate to enhance the quality of posts. I sincerely respect the idea.
However, without trying to gainsay or second-guess the admin, I think the system puts our new members in a horrible disadvantage. It's rather  funny how top members look at posts from new members with eyes fixed at the rank first. This gives them a mindset, and they read such posts with a funny face that "this is a new kid in the block" . Regardless of ranks in here, some newbies are already ancestors in cryptocurrency environment and imo, it is condescending to dismiss posts based on ranks.
Finally, this system albeit it's promise of improving the post quality hinders new members from deserved merits from the merit "whales" lol. Few people are that generous to give a post from a newbie or jr member any chance or merit and the democratic sense in it is shaken to its very foundation. Let's embrace ideas irrespective of ranks, it feels good to have merits anyway.

I couldn't agree more. I dislike this merit system totally, although I understand that good motive behind it it is not at all a solution and it penalises, as you said, new members.

It has also made a lot more difficult to advance in the ranks.

I hope the old system based on activity will be restored, perhaps with some corrections... but not this awful merit system.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:29:37 PM

I couldn't agree more. I dislike this merit system totally, although I understand that good motive behind it it is not at all a solution and it penalises, as you said, new members.

I hope the old system based on activity will be restored, perhaps with some corrections... but not this awful merit system.

just write good posts because ranks are meaningless.

dont blame legends for not helping your promotions for a rank, which by the way doesnt really give you any advantage.
instead do a good job and you will get noticed

legendary members dont need merits because they are already "top" but legendary members wont give merits unless they see the person posting is actually thinking about a topic or questioning a certain subject in a way that deserves a pat on the back.

legendary members dont think about it as 'this person needs a merit because he deserves to be promoted to legendary faster than others'. they give merits because the post had content worth a round of applause.

stop thinking about merits as a promotion. think of it as a job well done.
like employment. dont cry because your employer isnt promoting you faster purely because you have only had the job for 6 months. instead do a good job and you will get recognised, given a pat on the back.. and as the subtle side effect of doing a job well done often. you will get the promotion sooner.

i would employee a fresh recruit sooner if they showed good understanding and a out-of-the-box mindset compared to a employee who has 25 years under their belt just plotting along doing the same boring thing each day

after all.. even if you are legend tomorrow. your not really going to get anything from it.. i certainly have not seen any benefit of being a legend. and i been on this forum since 2012.

a good real life scenario is the whole florida students vs NRA/senate.. more people are interested and praising the florida students for their words compared to the high ranks of NRA/senate

respect and acknowledgement is earned. not given

YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:30:41 PM

I am also looking at the rank first but I am not letting my judgement be base to that, but on the Quality of their post and its content and if I would see that it is very helpful in the community No need to rant because I think that each and every one of us here can really gain merit if they only try fixed their post and stop spamming, But what is happening in my opinion the merit can be given to people that are well known in the forum I don't blame that because they really deserve that in the first place because of the things that they have done for the forum, And one more thing I am neutral with the idea of merit because it can surely help in the forum post quality but it can be mistreated by users that have multiple account as well.
money_amount

Activity: 167
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:39:01 PM

Yes, I have learned a lot since researching this forum. And the bitcoin forum gives me so much information that I can invest in ICO projects. So I like this forum very much.
Uno17

Activity: 322
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:43:23 PM

I just want to share my opinion on this topic, but first of all I respect the new rules implemented, and we understand also that it is part of enhancing the bitcointalk forums so that everyone who participates will try his best to compose interesting topics also, but then in our side as a beginner, honestly it is literally hard in the sense that too much high merit required inorder to step up rank, though you have obtained already your activity counts, but the merit hinders much to rank up. So it is really hard to combat with this new system, and maybe almost everyone will stuck where he is, this time☺️
Luizrosevelt (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:46:21 PM

just write good posts because ranks are meaningless.

dont blame legends for not helping your promotions for a rank, which by the way doesnt really give you any advantage.
instead do a good job and you will get noticed

legendary members dont need merits because they are already "top" but legendary members wont give merits unless they see the person posting is actually thinking about a topic or questioning a certain subject in a way that deserves a pat on the back.

legendary members dont think about it as 'this person needs a merit because he deserves to be promoted to legendary faster than others'. they give merits because the post had content worth a round of applause.

stop thinking about merits as a promotion. think of it as a job well done.
like employment. dont cry because your employer isnt promoting you faster purely because you have only had the job for 6 months. instead do a good job and you will get recognised, given a pat on the back.. and as the subtle side effect of doing a job well done often. you will get the promotion sooner.

i would employee a fresh recruit sooner if they showed good understanding and a out-of-the-box mindset compared to a employee who has 25 years under their belt just plotting along doing the same boring thing each day

after all.. even if you are legend tomorrow. your not really going to get anything from it.. i certainly have not seen any benefit of being a legend. and i been on this forum since 2012.

a good real life scenario is the whole florida students vs NRA/senate.. more people are interested and praising the florida students for their words compared to the high ranks of NRA/senate

respect and acknowledgement is earned. not given
That's very objective... good job. The merit system isn't automated , so it is at the discretion of the holders as you said.
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 01:07:03 PM

A wise person once said.  Never judge a book by its cover Wink

BR

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
bozo333

Activity: 742
Merit: 255

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 01:10:22 PM

However, without trying to gainsay or second-guess the admin, I think the system puts our new members in a horrible disadvantage. It's rather  funny how top members look at posts from new members with eyes fixed at the rank first. This gives them a mindset, and they read such posts with a funny face that "this is a new kid in the block" . Regardless of ranks in here, some newbies are already ancestors in cryptocurrency environment and imo, it is condescending to dismiss posts based on ranks.

Many spam peoples are day by day increase in this forum. So this is the right way to reduce the irrelevant member if you post something new and useful message it is really appreciate in all the members. So try to accept this new technology it is benefit for all the peoples. The future some changes is possible in merit system but it is not sure because yesterday hilarious moderator is find some spam merit so definitely expect some changes.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
milugau

Activity: 154
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 02:17:54 PM

Yes, it is democratic system despite of the fact that there are abuser, beggers of the merit system. Those sort of users will be charged with expensive charges like permanent bans. I think you should not pay your attention that way. Keep focus on your internal changes to adapt with the system.
CryptoProove

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 02:40:19 PM

I think the ranking system although not perfect is probably needed somewhat to hold market standards. Not all regulation is bad but at the end of the day if we post on here regularly the merit will increase so prove people wrong with the words you type. If they don't choose to listen it is their loss. I think having an open mind on forums is very important.
Luizrosevelt (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 06:45:41 PM

A wise person once said.  Never judge a book by its cover Wink

BR
Absolutely... that resonates with me..lol
Maum

Activity: 250
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 07:09:38 PM

No.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 07:22:10 PM

This gives them a mindset, and they read such posts with a funny face that "this is a new kid in the block" .
Unfortunately, you nailed it  Cool

Finally, this system albeit it's promise of improving the post quality hinders new members from deserved merits from the merit "whales" lol.
Let the whales  Roll Eyes do their work and you and me be strategic on our side. I see the idea of merit system is great however the application level needs to be improved.

I think we all need a neutral mind. Forget about who is noobs and who is opposite. As long as the content is good, give merit for that. This is the sole purpose of the whole merit system. Give recognition of your content.

Their posts are mostly just posts about merits, bounties, cheap shills, and full of broken english.
I am glad you used the word mostly  Grin

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: