Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:13:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a stablecoin?  (Read 1012 times)
awazieik

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2018, 11:32:38 AM

The prime function of a stablecoin is stability.

In these times of volatility, people are looking for a stablecoin because they want to be sure its value tomorrow will be predictable and close to today’s value.

This criterion favors fiat-backed tokens as they will track the price of the underlying asset rather than other digital assets and therefore most of them are easy to value... for example Tether and their cryptocurrency USDT pegged to the US Dollar.

But it was recently announced that Tether received subpoena from the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). Would you agree there is room for improvement? What other stablecoins do you know/support?

When you think about stable coins , then you understand that the market at this point is very volatile so the idea is to have two coins, one coin that is exposed to the volatile market while the other coin is stable and it is not affected by the market. Take a look at Havven, they have a working model of how stablecoin should be

► HackenAI ◄ ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦ ► HackenAI ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Facebook|Twitter|Medium|Reddit|Telegram|Whitepaper
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
panurgos

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 02:19:14 PM

In these times of volatility, people are looking for a stablecoin because they want to be sure its value tomorrow will be predictable and close to today’s value.

This criterion favors fiat-backed tokens as they will track the price of the underlying asset rather than other digital assets and therefore most of them are easy to value... for example Tether and their cryptocurrency USDT pegged to the US Dollar.

But it was recently announced that Tether received subpoena from the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). Would you agree there is room for improvement? What other stablecoins do you know/support?

When you think about stable coins , then you understand that the market at this point is very volatile so the idea is to have two coins, one coin that is exposed to the volatile market while the other coin is stable and it is not affected by the market. Take a look at Havven, they have a working model of how stablecoin should be

The function of a stable coin is to extend the desirable aspects of true distributed consensus cryptos to a decentralized digital medium of exchange, with unit of account, for the real life usage.
These aspects are: censorless, permissionless, borderless, fast transactions and marginal fees above all. So yes, a stablecoin can be used also to escape from the dumps of the volatile crypto-assets (all nowdays cryptos) as well as from any other asset dump, exactly as the most trusted fiat are used today. But as saying that the most trusted fiat today are used ONLY for escape from asset investments volatility is really crazy....that's the same for a true stablecoin.

I see some problem with Havven:
- The lack of an external reserve asset used as collateral
- The lack of a clear and good reference basket
- It's built on ETH, that's not, by far, the best distributed censorless and secure digital ledger available at the moment
Arcoin1

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 08:16:42 AM

You need to make a decision to enter the virtual world. I gave my money and I believe I can make money from this market. You should investigate and decide. I do not regret that you will not regret it.
oceanstarview

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 11:45:22 AM

For I know, the most stable coins is not exist. Even though the USDT and QC( USDT is equal to US dollar, QC equal to China RMB). This is a investment market, so the absolutely stable is hard to maintain.

Stable coin is a term used in cryptocurrencies meant to hold stable values. For example, Tehter (USDT) is a block chain based asset meant to trade for $1 (USD). It is a "Price-stable cryptocurrency."
Colibra

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 02:27:09 PM

For I know, the most stable coins is not exist. Even though the USDT and QC( USDT is equal to US dollar, QC equal to China RMB). This is a investment market, so the absolutely stable is hard to maintain.

Stable coin is a term used in cryptocurrencies meant to hold stable values. For example, Tehter (USDT) is a block chain based asset meant to trade for $1 (USD). It is a "Price-stable cryptocurrency."

I agree with you. I was also wondering if there is any other usage of stablecoins such as blockchain representation of fiat, not only "price-stable cryptocurrency" but also value preservation.
Bytem3

Activity: 602
Merit: 107

View Profile
September 12, 2018, 06:05:32 PM

Tether and DAI are getting some competition. This time it's GUSD stablecoin by Gemeni (aka Gemini Dollar):

https://coincodex.com/article/2328/gemini-launches-gusd-stablecoin/

Best way to LONG/SHORT Bitcoin. Up to 66x leverage. Register on BitMax now!
robertycore
Copper Member

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 12, 2018, 06:26:40 PM

in a decentralized world stability is hard to get
Kaznachej123

Activity: 882
Merit: 548

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 07:53:00 PM

Tether and DAI are getting some competition. This time it's GUSD stablecoin by Gemeni (aka Gemini Dollar):

https://coincodex.com/article/2328/gemini-launches-gusd-stablecoin/

Hello everybody! More positive big news "today Circle https://www.circle.com and the CENTRE open source consortium introduced a service to tokenize US dollars and use those dollars over public blockchains on the internet: USD//Coin, also known as USDC. Individuals and institutions can enroll in this service to deposit US dollars from bank accounts, convert those dollars into tokens usable everywhere the internet reaches (subject to the token’s compliance controls), and redeem USDC tokens and cash out to bank accounts." More information read on Official Blog: https://blog.circle.com/2018/09/26/introducing-usd-coin
mrkavasaki

Activity: 888
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 08:34:41 PM

I agree with you. I was also wondering if there is any other usage of stablecoins such as blockchain representation of fiat, not only "price-stable cryptocurrency" but also value preservation.

I did not expect a stable coin in this market, when I joined I was aware of that. And here is where I can make quick money, even USDT can not stabilize if a day like the Wex USD
nonbody

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

2local[IEO] - https://2local.io/

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 03:12:15 AM

I think that the current cryptocurrency must become a stable currency, must be recognized by the government, and a large number of investors must use it.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌
██████▀▐███████████████
░░▀███░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

2local
Sustainability and Prosperity.
Pre sale is going on
...J O I N...
...Whitepaper...
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌

I   E   O IN Livecoin.net  Probit  P2pPb2b from 11/02/2020
2local Sale
Hosam Mazawi

Activity: 129
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 09:21:12 AM

The term stablecoin refers to any cryptocurrency coin or token pegged to an asset with a relatively stable price, such as fiat currencies or gold. A stablecoin can be under control of a central entity, such as Tether (USDT), or a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO), such as Dai, a stablecoin which is issued on the Ethereum network. Nubits is another stablecoin which is partly controlled by a DAO, but is also under control by a central authority, representing a hybrid issuance model.

Full guide about stablecoins https://www.cointelligence.com/content/stablecoins-guide/
generous

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 09:24:21 AM

ether and btc remain the most stable coins to date, because both coins require a long time to experience price increases.
I feel the slowness of price changes on the two coins, and is relatively stable for me.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Xeon

Activity: 239
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 09:42:22 AM

As I understand this definition has been designed to describe coins, which are more or less stable but I don't know whether it is possible to design a coin that really will be immune to the market fluctuations
USDXWallet
Copper Member

Activity: 43

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 09:35:55 PM

When you think about stable coins, then you understand that the market at this point is very volatile so the idea is to have two coins, one coin that is exposed to the volatile market while the other coin is stable and it is not affected by the market. Take a look at Havven, they have a working model of how stablecoin should be

Let me introduce a new stablecoin, USDX. Like Havven, our project features two coins: one, LHT, is exposed to the volatile market and therefore has volatile price. The other, USDX, is pegged to the U.S. Dollar and has a stable price. Unlike Havven, the transactions inside our system are fee-free. We only plan to charge merchants in the future, when the USDX currency and USDX Wallet app will have a prominent user base. Not sure if I can post a link to the website, so if you want see more info, just make a search by "USDX Wallet" phrase, and you'll find both a website and our app, which is already available at the App Store and Google Play.
Wibizza

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 02:55:51 PM

Stablecoin is a coin specifically created as high-volatility crypto. Stablecoin crypto has stable characteristics, making it suitable for use as a value storage unit, mainly in the short or medium term.
Verbiola_Paramita

Activity: 73
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 02:59:28 PM

the term Stablecoin coin which is specifically made as a crypto of high volatility. Stablecoin crypto has stable characteristics, making it suitable for use as a value storage unit, especially in the short or medium term. Stable coins have become popular in the past two years, and the digital currency (USDT) issued by the Omni Layer protocol is a phenomenon.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: