Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:44:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Theymos now controls the r/Bitcoin subreddit.  (Read 2475 times)
Anonymous

July 19, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

It seems the community would prefer I resigned from the r/Bitcoin reddit and transfered it to somebody who is more community-oriented. Whom better than Theymos?

Enjoy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:07:49 AM

It seems the community would prefer I resigned from the r/Bitcoin reddit and transfered it to somebody who is more community-oriented. Whom better than Theymos?

Enjoy.

Well.. there must be many better choices than Theymos.
I don't have anything against Theymos - but just from the point of view of distribution of power, it would surely be preferable that it's not someone who is an admin or mod on another bitcoin forum.

I think if someone else reasonable puts their hand up for it, that'd be better... but who decides reasonable is up to the particular forum I guess.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 12:15:05 AM

I think if someone else reasonable puts their hand up for it, that'd be better... but who decides reasonable is up to the particular forum I guess.
In communities such as Reddit I'd say that a meritocracy is the best way to run things. If you do the most for the community and are respected by the community then you should have the most power, but only so that the community benefits.

I don't visit r/bitcoin enough to be involved in any of the politics though, so couldn't recommend anyone else.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:18:17 AM

Never ever choose me as mod! Don't care about the work or the power.

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:04:03 PM

It seems like, we should have kept Atlas as the moderator of the subreddit Wink

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
itsamemario

Activity: 114
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:24:23 AM

Hmm, seems this whole thing could have been avoided if everyone decided to quit being drama queens at let the upvote and downvote system do its thing.

right?  What ever happened to the votes.... They seem as though nobody cares they exist anymore.

If there is one thing that can change, is someone can work on a smart platform that self moderates, requires basis or adds substance to up and down votes by requiring a comment, or something. Today i realized a HUGE issue.  As long as the main communication platforms are running under the guise of 1 individual there will continue to be  a bias, and conversation will be filtered. That is in complete contrast with concencus and how Bitcoin will function, soooo not sure what to do here. not a programmer, or anything, but Bitcoin needs new discussion platform
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 02:36:10 AM

I also think that theymos should not be the mod, not because he might not be fit, I don't care to discuss opinions on that, but just because he already controls this website.
itsamemario

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:41:31 AM

I also think that theymos should not be the mod, not because he might not be fit, I don't care to discuss opinions on that, but just because he already controls this website.

Theymos controls Bitcoin discussion.  People are scared about mining, developer centralization?  What about the community discussion? The place we come to the conclusions that effect everything.  Realize in a consensus based economy, communication is #1.... So centralization of ANY other aspect of Bitcoin stems directly down from the places people are using to build opinions and voice concerns.  Communication is everything, and if it's going to be filtered, future consensus is already fucked.

Truly a shame at best what is happening here as we speak.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:51:57 AM

Theymos controls Bitcoin discussion.  People are scared about mining, developer centralization?  What about the community discussion? The place we come to the conclusions that effect everything.  Realize in a consensus based economy, communication is #1.... So centralization of ANY other aspect of Bitcoin stems directly down from the places people are using to build opinions and voice concerns.  Communication is everything, and if it's going to be filtered, future consensus is already fucked.

Exactly. I just hope people will migrate to other platforms so it will decentralize discussions once and for all.

RGBKey

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 02:53:42 AM

Exactly. I just hope people will migrate to other platforms so it will decentralize discussions once and for all.
The scary part is that I highly doubt that's going to happen. This place has been THE place for all discussion, *maybe* the subreddit.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:56:51 AM

The scary part is that I highly doubt that's going to happen. This place has been THE place for all discussion, *maybe* the subreddit.

Well, people are unsubscribing in mass right now. It never happened before.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:57:20 AM

If the will of the majority is flagrantly labelled irrelevant then that can only be held back for so long.
RGBKey

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 02:57:42 AM

True, but just because they're unsubscribing doesn't mean that they don't look at it still, or that they won't go back later.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 02:58:17 AM

Distribution of power is needed. It is needed in bitcoin's development and it is needed in it's communities. We can't have 3 people (Gavin, Hern & Theymos) running everything. This is why I am more towards core (more developers), and I do support a blocksize increase but not the way Gavin and Hearn are trying to do it. Theymos should hand off r/bitcoin to someone else for the good of bitcoin. He'll still have bitcointalk, which is way cooler than reddit anyways  Cool

RGBKey

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 02:59:44 AM

Distribution of power is needed. It is needed in bitcoin's development and it is needed in it's communities. We can't have 3 people (Gavin, Hern & Theymos) running everything. This is why I am more towards core (more developers), and I do support a blocksize increase but not the way Gavin and Hearn are trying to do it. Theymos should hand off r/bitcoin to someone else for the good of bitcoin. He'll still have bitcointalk, which is way cooler than reddit anyways  Cool
That's the way I think most of this site thinks, we need a blocksize increase, but XT is awful and we CANNOT adopt it.
itsamemario

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 03:01:39 AM

Well, people are unsubscribing in mass right now. It never happened before.

Almost down 100 in the hour.  But I agree, we need people to start posting elsewhere as opposed to just unsubbing.  Times like these I wish I could code.  Bitcoin discussion needs a new platform with a more versatile voting system that can self regulate somehow.  Votes need to have substance behind them, ie. downvote upvote requires reasoning.
itsamemario

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 03:03:44 AM

That's the way I think most of this site thinks, we need a blocksize increase, but XT is awful and we CANNOT adopt it.

But how can we even move forward with the block size now that we can be sure that the discussion was clearly bias.  I mean, perhaps not to one side or the other, but when there is a filter on all the content, you can be sure that some sides of the debate have the short end of the stick.  all consensus is based of discussion and debate,a nd without a platform to be sure that everyone is heard, it's tough to make a judgement call on a debate.  Communication is #1 for progression in Bitcoin, and there is clearly a central flaw in the current mediums for it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: