Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:44:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Display your cgminer Stats on a small LCD Display (cgminerLCDStats)  (Read 10642 times)
cardcomm (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 02:10:47 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2013, 02:05:34 AM by cardcomm

Hi Everyone,

I like to take a minute to introduce a new monitor app for cgminer. This simple script will get data from the cgminer API and display mining statistics on a small LCD screen attached to your computer or Raspberry Pi. It's a great addition to most unix based mining setups, and includes a handy MtGox ticker and clock display as well. It's been verified to work with most Linux distributions, Apple OS X, and as I said, works great on the Pi.

The project website is here:
http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/

The code can be downloaded here:
https://github.com/cardcomm/cgminerLCDStats

Here is a screen shot of the display in action:

You can order the specific LCD screen needed for this app from the ColdTears Electronics ebay store:
(Note that I am IN NO WAY connected with ColdTears electronics, nor am I endorsing this ebay seller. I've personally ordered and received two units, and I know several others have purchased them as well.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-8-TFT-LCD-module-LCD-sys-info-display-temperature-fan-AIDA64-LCD-Smartie-/121004607232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2c6fc700

I first heard of this display in a post on the MinePeon forum. There are quite a few posts in that thread discussing the LCD display and this project.
BTW, the code to support the LCD display is rolled in to the current release of MinePeon.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137934.msg2844656#msg2844656

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cardcomm (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 04:23:50 PM

A little bump to make sure everyone gets a chance to see this...

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:05:07 PM

that is pretty sweet. Smiley
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 04:33:33 AM

Does it need to be connected directly to the Pi and not via USB hub? I'm having issues getting it to be seen when running the  sudo python2 cgminerLCDStats.py" command.  Angry

CaptainAK

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 04:57:42 AM

Just ordered one. Can't wait to get it going. Smiley
Beastlymac

Activity: 630

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:04:33 AM

In the title.
"Re: Display your gcminer Stats on a small LCD Display (cgminerLCDStats)"
Should be
"Re: Display your cgminer Stats on a small LCD Display (cgminerLCDStats)"

Just a heads up.

Message me if you have any problems
18RATTT

Activity: 282

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 03:12:29 PM

good stuff

cardcomm (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:05:16 AM

In the title.
"Re: Display your gcminer Stats on a small LCD Display (cgminerLCDStats)"
Should be
"Re: Display your cgminer Stats on a small LCD Display (cgminerLCDStats)"

Just a heads up.

LOL! Thanks. I can't tell you how many times I've made that typo :/

cardcomm (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:09:15 AM

Does it need to be connected directly to the Pi and not via USB hub? I'm having issues getting it to be seen when running the  sudo python2 cgminerLCDStats.py" command.  Angry

No, it should work fine when connected to a hub. I've seen a number of these units with defective USB cables, unfortunately. They tend to fit very loosely at the connection near the display. Does the Display work for any of the demos?

What specific error are you getting? I'm assuming one about "not being able to claim the device". It's usually either a bad USB cable, or not running the script as root. (that does not seem to be you problem)

Zeek_W

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:33:37 AM

No, it should work fine when connected to a hub. I've seen a number of these units with defective USB cables, unfortunately. They tend to fit very loosely at the connection near the display. Does the Display work for any of the demos?

What specific error are you getting? I'm assuming one about "not being able to claim the device". It's usually either a bad USB cable, or not running the script as root. (that does not seem to be you problem)

It powers up, but using the command lsusb doesn't bring it up.

Next time I am back home, I will try another USB cable and actually try it with the default software. Will get back to you.

salfter

Activity: 651

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 03:40:55 PM

This display would be perfect for the GPU/ASIC rig I just spun up...will probably have to roll my own software to poll two cgminer instances and two CryptoSwitcher instances, but the pointer to a suitable display is useful info.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
cardcomm (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 06:19:39 PM

This display would be perfect for the GPU/ASIC rig I just spun up...will probably have to roll my own software to poll two cgminer instances and two CryptoSwitcher instances, but the pointer to a suitable display is useful info.

The Python code should be a good starting point for that. It already supports being pointed to an arbitrary cgminer instance. You would just have to add code to poll the two separately.

ktbken

Activity: 158

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 06:47:57 PM

Hi im  trying to get this screen to work with bfgminer but i think there is some difference between it and cgminer and a it just hangs at what looks like getting the api info anyone have any idea what need changing ?

Multi-coin pools - http://united-miners.com - IRC  freenode #united-miners
cardcomm (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 05:28:57 PM

Hi im  trying to get this screen to work with bfgminer but i think there is some difference between it and cgminer and a it just hangs at what looks like getting the api info anyone have any idea what need changing ?

Hi,

I haven't tested with bfgminer at all, and I'm not very familiar with it. I  think the API is similar, so it may work. You'll need to make sure bfgminer is listening for API call. I think you need something like this in the bfgminer config file:

"api-listen" : true,
"api-port" : "4028",

I hope this helps. Let me know if you get it working, or if I can be of further help.

Zeek_W

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 03:27:42 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2013, 04:00:34 AM by Zeek_W

Turns out the one I got was a dud, the USB connecter is broken and only receives power, no data. Time to open it up and see what I can see!

EDIT: working now. Just hit the USB connector with my rework station and all is working.

Cheers for a great little script OP!

cardcomm (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:51:22 AM

Turns out the one I got was a dud, the USB connecter is broken and only receives power, no data. Time to open it up and see what I can see!

EDIT: working now. Just hit the USB connector with my rework station and all is working.

Sweet! Congrats on the repair.

Zeek_W

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 08:29:03 AM

Sweet! Congrats on the repair.

I'm kinda noobie to Linux - but I have a question:

I use SSH to access my rPi and I can get it running easily. However - is there a way so i can still sudo screen -r on cgminer so I can monitor the miner when I am on my other computer?

Any way around this?

cowandtea

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 01:50:08 PM

Pretty sweet, thanks for sharing.

ktbken

Activity: 158

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 09:50:44 PM

Hi,

I haven't tested with bfgminer at all, and I'm not very familiar with it. I  think the API is similar, so it may work. You'll need to make sure bfgminer is listening for API call. I think you need something like this in the bfgminer config file:

"api-listen" : true,
"api-port" : "4028",

I hope this helps. Let me know if you get it working, or if I can be of further help.

Implemented a quick dirty fix which gets it working with bfgminer

changed CgminerRPCClient.py

Code:
# loop until a zero byte indicates we got all the data
            data = ""
            while True:
                buffer = s.recv(65535)
                if '\x00' in buffer:
                    data += buffer # keep the buffer and bail from the loop - we got all t$
                    break # zero found, so we must have all the data TODO break in loop is$
                else:
                    data += buffer # No zero found yet, append current buffer to data and $

s.close() # close the socket

To

# loop until a zero byte indicates we got all the data
            data = ""
            while True:
                buffer = s.recv(65535)
                if buffer:
                    data += buffer # keep the buffer and bail from the loop - we got all t$
                 # zero found, so we must have all the data TODO break in loop is ugly    $
                else:
                      s.close() # close the socket
                break

Multi-coin pools - http://united-miners.com - IRC  freenode #united-miners
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 252

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 10:47:02 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2013, 08:48:06 AM by southerngentuk

Implemented a quick dirty fix which gets it working with bfgminer

changed CgminerRPCClient.py

Your my Hero. This Works for BFGMiner. I now at last have a stable Minepeon Build.

How to get the screen to run on boot?

Edit  : found the answer on minepeon forums

All is right with the world once again.

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄