Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:52:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Americans giving up their citizenship?  (Read 1593 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 03:36:06 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24135021

The number of Americans giving up their citizenship has rocketed this year - partly, it's thought, because of a new tax law that is frustrating many expats.

Goodbye, US passport.

That's not a concept that Americans contemplate lightly. But it's one that many of them seem to be considering - and acting on.

The number of expatriates renouncing their US citizenship surged in the second quarter of 2013, compared with the same period the year before - 1,131 cases to 189 in 2012. It's still a small proportion of the estimated six million Americans abroad, but it's a significant rise.

The list is compiled by the Federal Register and while no reasons are given, the big looming factor seems to be tax.

A new law called the Foreign Accounts Tax Compliance Act (Fatca) will, from 1 July next year, require all financial institutions around the world to report directly to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) all the assets and incomes of any US citizens with $50,000 (£31,000) on their books. The US could withhold 30% of dividends and interest payments due to the banks that don't comply.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xsfgsdrwe

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 10:22:34 PM

We've been giving up our rights for years now.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2013, 10:31:49 PM

The US, Philippines and Eritrea have citizenship-based and well as residency-based tax law. If you retain your US citizenship but ignore the IRS, and they think you owe them serious money, you could land up in trouble if you return to the US. Expatriation* is a legal way out of this rut (assuming one has multiple citizenship or is in the process of naturalising elsewhere), though you'll be declared persona non grata in the USA if the IRS believes your expatriation lowered your legal tax liability by more than 50.000 USD, as I understand it.

* in the proper legal sense of the word, i.e. renunciation of citizenship, not just moving countries

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
leoragraves666

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 11:23:54 PM

Funny how citizenship is sold for money (avoidance of taxes). I always thought it is something you should be proud of

PC & Mac repairs
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 11:26:53 PM

Funny how citizenship is sold for money (avoidance of taxes). I always thought it is something you should be proud of

Yes, but if your country is the number one enemy of most of the terrorist organisation in the world, it will be good not to have a US passport during a hostage situation. Because you will most likely get kill first.

millsdmb

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 11:36:41 PM

i believe so they can keep their money overseas

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 12:11:49 AM

i believe so they can keep their money overseas

Or for regular persons, not having to spend huge amount of money to prove that you don't have to pay anything... Just tells how broken the system is if you have to pay more to do math than the acttual taxes...

I'm happy that my government does taxes for me. Though no that I have much to tax yet.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 01:41:36 AM

This is interesting. Still not huge numbers but I didn't realize there was such a boom recently.

nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 02:22:09 AM

If only citizenships could be traded on the open market! A few countries, most notably Dominica, are willing to sell citizenship to willing and able foreigners for roughly 105k USD. At the other end of the scale, in the likes of the US and Australia, both of which have federal governments that get a bit gung-ho about making foreigners personae non grata at times, you will typically need a seven-digit net worth in dollar terms just to buy your way in as a permanent resident, with the possibility to naturalise four or five years down the line.

BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:18:58 AM

Maybe being a citizen of another country is more beneficial to them.
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 12:01:00 PM

Maybe being a citizen of another country is more beneficial to them.

Bringing Bitcoinia into this, a significant portion of the Bitcoin community would love to be stateless, but only if everybody else is. Smiley

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 12:08:13 PM

I always thought only retards are proud about where they were born/where they live.

nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 12:19:01 PM

Citizenship is slavery to the State. Statelessness would be good but only if everyone were stateless, because being in a stateless minority under Statism is a particular drag: ask any number of the hundreds of thousands of Baltic Russians, who are citizens of neither the EU nor the Russian Federation.

Professor James Moriarty
aka TheTortoise

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 12:34:56 PM

To be honest if I were american , I would definetly hide the fact and try to get another citizenship and act like I have never been to america . Why would anyone willingly be american?
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 12:36:23 PM

Plenty of Americans are nice people. It's their government that's gone rogue.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 12:55:10 PM

Yep, that's certainly the case, even the ones you end up bickering with about politics are usually more intelligent than the people in charge, oh, just so you know, I'm a U.K citizen and even I'm thinking about ditching my citizenship before its too late. I'm having a careful thought about which country I'm going to join though, I just need a passport for travelling really but I'd like to be a citizen of a country that's stays neutral a lot of the time and doesn't get involved too much in overseas politics.

In this case, one of the ones you'd have to google in order to know anything about that doesn't appear in the news very often Tongue
Professor James Moriarty
aka TheTortoise

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 12:56:07 PM

ahahahahha , so the ones that vote for the goverment is normal ? The ones that vote for reality shows and watch jersey shore , and the redneck ones , the army guys , the farm guys that makes beastility pron look kind  , the western ones with their eastern zen look to world with 'actor' profession in mind and yoga and so on , the washington folk? , the wall street people?

I don't know if I need to go on , but british people sent criminal folk to america to get rid of them , irish sent white slaves , americans took africans from their home and made them slaves , mexican people are trying to run away from their country to be in america , I don't think the history of USA will never leave them alone , it was build as a corrupt place and it will stay like that. The whole 'american dream ' says step over people to become rich , what else you were expecting?
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 01:08:50 PM

The vast majority of people living in the world is nice, regardless of where they were born.

The most dangerous ones are those that are proud of random things they were born with (their race, their gender, their citizenship, etc.)

Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:04:14 PM

And part of population who spout nonsense which gets on my nerves...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:34:11 PM

I always though it was kind of weird to be proud of where you were born, as if you had any choice in the matter.

These are my sentiments; to be proud of one's country is to be proud of one's ethnicity or height or social class--in other words, facetious bullshit people adopt when they have nothing else to take pride in for having done nothing their lives thus far.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: