Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:11:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inputs.io screwed up; any good alternatives?  (Read 945 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
whiskers75 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 05:40:07 PM

Let me quote the email which I sent to the owner, TradeFortress, a few minutes ago about how whiskchat.com is not working with it:
(slightly edited)
First, you nearly lose me all my money [through a bug in the API]. Then, you change your IP. Now, you're not letting API requests get through, because WhiskChat uses a very dynamic IP and "whitelisting" doesn't cut it.
I've had enough: I simply want to stop using your service.
...(snip)... replacing Inputs with something better (bitcoind?), unless you can fix your service.

Anyone have any good alternatives to Inputs.io that are reliable? Coinbase seems nice. (warning, that link is a shameless referral link)

Reason for self-moderation: Deleting spam replies. Deleted replies will be posted below, or acknowledged.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maxmint

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 06:01:20 PM

What exactly are you looking for? Blockchain.info has a nice API too: http://blockchain.info/api

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 06:06:50 PM

What exactly are you looking for? Blockchain.info has a nice API too: http://blockchain.info/api
I've had good experiences with that API Wink
I'm looking for a service that lets me send micropayments (mBTC) with minimal fees/limits.

KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 06:07:37 PM

Let me quote the email which I sent to the owner, TradeFortress, a few minutes ago about how whiskchat.com is not working with it:
(slightly edited)
First, you nearly lose me all my money [through a bug in the API]. Then, you change your IP. Now, you're not letting API requests get through, because WhiskChat uses a very dynamic IP and "whitelisting" doesn't cut it.
...(snip)... replacing Inputs with something better (bitcoind?), unless you can fix your service.

Anyone have any good alternatives to Inputs.io that are reliable? Coinbase seems nice. (warning, that link is a shameless referral link)

Reason for self-moderation: Deleting spam replies. Deleted replies will be posted below, or acknowledged.

Interesting, I usually have all the odd stuff happen to me but I am having no issues logging in.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 06:13:18 PM

(slightly edited)

Interesting, I usually have all the odd stuff happen to me but I am having no issues logging in.
You misunderstand my rant - I am ranting about their API.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 07:31:35 PM

(slightly edited)

You misunderstand my rant - I am ranting about their API.

As I understand it they are dealing with a lot of DDOS at the moment. Why not give them a chance to fix things?

more or less retired.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:50:14 AM

"Lots of micropayments" means e.g. sending someone 10 satoshis per word written? If yes, then anything on-chain would soon end up with enormous fees (relative to the outputs).

Maybe you can restructure your service in a way that people either get paid after a certain treshhold is eached (e.g. 0.1 BTC) or alternatively their balance gets cleared after 2 weeks of inactivity?

Inputs.io is NOT a bitcoin wallet, they issue internally transaferrable debt denominated in bitcoins that can be redeemed on demand. This is 100% the same as Paypal (you send them USD and you hope/trust that you can get a USD balance back). Coinbase seems to be a similar service, you deposit coins there and then you can redeem them (hopefully) some time in the future.

Bitcoin is not really built for (nearly) free Nano- or Micropayments, so it might make sense to use such a service provider, however you just have seen the risk and trust you put into the provider(s) of these services, as they can freeze or steal your coins at will (or out of bad luck/hacks/etc.).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:27:54 AM

"Lots of micropayments" means e.g. sending someone 10 satoshis per word written? If yes, then anything on-chain would soon end up with enormous fees (relative to the outputs).

Maybe you can restructure your service in a way that people either get paid after a certain treshhold is eached (e.g. 0.1 BTC) or alternatively their balance gets cleared after 2 weeks of inactivity?

Inputs.io is NOT a bitcoin wallet, they issue internally transaferrable debt denominated in bitcoins that can be redeemed on demand. This is 100% the same as Paypal (you send them USD and you hope/trust that you can get a USD balance back). Coinbase seems to be a similar service, you deposit coins there and then you can redeem them (hopefully) some time in the future.

Bitcoin is not really built for (nearly) free Nano- or Micropayments, so it might make sense to use such a service provider, however you just have seen the risk and trust you put into the provider(s) of these services, as they can freeze or steal your coins at will (or out of bad luck/hacks/etc.).

Although I was reading about a micro-payment channel coming in some future release. Sorry I don't have more info.

more or less retired.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 09:19:49 AM

Bitcoinj supports Mike hearns idea of rapidly adjusted micropayment channels. If you coded your back end in java, you might be even more interested in that. I don't know if bitcoind will integrate something similar soon/ever.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:00:10 AM

UPDATE: The owner contacted me and fixed it! Props to TradeFortress. (Side note: if you have the same problem with the API, PM me.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: