Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:03:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone hacked my wallet.  (Read 6696 times)
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:35:23 PM

I am a master auto tech. It is like me saying oh your car is messed up and it is your fault you were running an inefficient stoichiometric ratio and now your values are burnt and your catalyst system is destroyed. You should of checked that BIG MISTAKE!

The nature of analogies makes it difficult to say whether or not one is valid while another is not. So without discounting the validity of your own analogy, allow me to provide you with another automotive analogy.

Say someone brings you a car with an engine that is completely fucked; bearings are spun, rods are thrown, head gasket is blown, etc. (They had to tow this car in.) You ask them, "when is the last time you had the oil changed?" They give you a confused look and say, "I don't know what that means."

My point is, while it may not be your fault that your coins got stolen, (you could say it was the thief's fault, but there will be thieves as long as there is anything of value to steal) you are the only one who could've prevented it. Blockchain.info provides several methods to secure your account (even ones to combat keyloggers), and while it's true they could've walked you through their use and purpose, in the end it's up to you to properly utilize them.

Now if you're saying you did use said methods to secure your account, and they all failed or proceed ineffective, this should be brought to the attention of Blockchain.info and the bitcoin community so that they can be rectified or improved upon.

Right if you want to have a car that runs you have to change the oil periodically, but if you had the option of owning a car that never had to have the oil changed with no additional cost then no one would own a car requiring oil changes you are asking me to value a car that has to have the oil changed when there are cars out there that dont

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:37:23 PM

Oh all i need to do is go get a second computer? Is that all? Get real.

I know i am being a bit of a dick here, but every time I see someone getting robbed it is their fault. There is nothing wrong with the system no changes need to be implemented there is nothing to fix because the problem isnt the way that it works but my ignorance or my behavior.

What do you have against learning? It's one of the greatest joys in life. It enables you to do shit.

If you go on demanding that the world change to suit your current level of understanding or lack thereof, it's going to be pure butthurt from here on out.

Nothing I love learning, but about the things that I value. There are other people to learn about the things that do not interest me 
realestone
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 08:27:15 PM

sorry to here about this sublime when it rains it pours sometimes
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 09:45:51 PM

Smiley Thanks bro, but things are looking up.
xsfgsdrwe

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 09:51:02 PM

Smiley Thanks bro, but things are looking up.

It usually does. When I am down I just remind myself things come together, they always do. Stressing about crap will just kill you sooner.
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 09:57:37 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2013, 10:08:41 PM by sublime5447

Nothing I love learning, but about the things that I value. There are other people to learn about the things that do not interest me  

If you don't value your bitcoins, then why the rant when they were stolen from you?

That was the last bit that I had I ordered from coinbase 7 or 8 days ago (my first time buying from an institution) and over that time period. I decided that i dont value bitcoin.

It cant work, and doesn't have the ability to enable real change. So it is of no use to me.

That is my opinion for now.

It will take a major innovation to change that situation, I will watch and go back to working on the liberty campaign, more than likely supporting Rand Paul in his presidential run. Though I dont believe that has much promise either I dont think that the ballot box is capable of creating real change. As we get closer to the collapse of the global financial system I may get back involved just to help people have an alternative to state issued fiat.

Ya it not the BTC that I care about it is the 182 USD that I would have got selling it.

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 10:10:52 PM

I strongly suggest you download install and run this.  

http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors16/

Sounds like a hassle. Someone else can worry about it. It is their job to protect my accounts if someone steals it is their job to get the money back to me. I am a user it is for tech nerds to prevent this shit from happening. I dont care and I shouldnt have to care. I hate tech shit this is my dads company http://www.norlinx.com/ he is a computer engineer that writes software to manage data centers. He tortured me with programming when I was a kid. I dont like it and couldnt care less about it. I am a user i dont care about the details. I put my efforts in other places.  

That's wrong, it's your money, and it's your own responsibility to protect your coins.  Bitcoin is NOT a scam, although many people IN bitcoin are.  Many people lost more, and by your attitude, are you quitting bitcoin?  If so, sell your coins or give them away Tongue

I got just as pissed as you when I lose on Just-dice, but we all have to get over it Sad
dyingdreams

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:19:06 PM

I am a master auto tech. It is like me saying oh your car is messed up and it is your fault you were running an inefficient stoichiometric ratio and now your values are burnt and your catalyst system is destroyed. You should of checked that BIG MISTAKE!

The nature of analogies makes it difficult to say whether or not one is valid while another is not. So without discounting the validity of your own analogy, allow me to provide you with another automotive analogy.

Say someone brings you a car with an engine that is completely fucked; bearings are spun, rods are thrown, head gasket is blown, etc. (They had to tow this car in.) You ask them, "when is the last time you had the oil changed?" They give you a confused look and say, "I don't know what that means."

My point is, while it may not be your fault that your coins got stolen, (you could say it was the thief's fault, but there will be thieves as long as there is anything of value to steal) you are the only one who could've prevented it. Blockchain.info provides several methods to secure your account (even ones to combat keyloggers), and while it's true they could've walked you through their use and purpose, in the end it's up to you to properly utilize them.

Now if you're saying you did use said methods to secure your account, and they all failed or proceed ineffective, this should be brought to the attention of Blockchain.info and the bitcoin community so that they can be rectified or improved upon.

Right if you want to have a car that runs you have to change the oil periodically, but if you had the option of owning a car that never had to have the oil changed with no additional cost then no one would own a car requiring oil changes you are asking me to value a car that has to have the oil changed when there are cars out there that dont

First: commas

Second: electric cars

Third: You speak as if bitcoins are exactly the same as conventional currency, but without all the protection that conventional currency provides. That is simply not true, just ask someone from Cyprus. There are advantages and disadvantages to both conventional currencies and crypto-currencies.

You act as if what happened to you would have been impossible with normal currency which couldn't be further from the truth. If you were holding cash on your person, someone could come up and mug you and take your money, and it would be equally untraceable. Likewise, if you were holding your funds in a bank, the bank and/or the government could take your money. Although highly unlikely, it has happened in this country and others. However unlike conventional currency, with bitcoin there are steps you can take to absolutely secure your funds. So that there is nothing anyone could do ever to take them away from you, short of destroying the internet.

Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:28:01 PM

Instead of trolling, can we try to figure out what exactly happened? Is there a vulnerability in blockchain.info? This has been happening a lot lately.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
xsfgsdrwe

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:33:13 PM

Instead of trolling, can we try to figure out what exactly happened? Is there a vulnerability in blockchain.info? This has been happening a lot lately.

This is my gut reaction. It seems this is starting to appear more often with blockchain. Has anyone tried getting a response from support about this?

OP do you feel you did something wrong and may have infected your computer or could this possible be an exploit in the blockchain client? I know you mentioned a shady site you visited, have any more information on that?
dyingdreams

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:36:32 PM

I tried that here, clearly expressing my concern.

I am curious about the security on your blockchain.info wallet, mainly because I myself have one.

You say you had a strong password, but how strong. How many digits? Upper and lowercase letters? Numbers and symbols?

Do you have 2 step-authentication? If so what kind? SMS, Yubi, email, or GAuth?

Do you have a secondary password?

Do you have an email on your wallet? If so, did you get an email concerning the login attempt?

Do you have logging enabled? If so, does it list any events?

He didn't reply to any of those questions, but he did take to time to reply to my analogy, wrongfully telling me that cars that don't require oil changes don't exist.

I don't expect to glean any useful information from this guy; it seems like all that he wants to do is complain about bitcoins and the horrendous travesty that has so unjustly befallen him.

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 12:12:41 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2013, 12:31:04 AM by sublime5447

1. 14 characters capital and lowercase and numbers  

2. No

3. No didnt know that was an option but dont see where it would have made a difference

4. No

5. No dont know what it is

"just ask someone from Cyprus." The people of cyprus bought in near the height of the the bubble they would have been better off taking the hit on their fiat. I dont think may would have anything positive to say, but maybe they where happy to buy in at 180 and watch it crash back down to 60?  

"wrongfully telling me that cars that don't require oil changes don't exist." Never seen an engine that didnt require oil  

"First: commas" ya I dont do grammar

"Second: electric cars"  I said that dint incur any extra cost. They have the added cost of replacing the battery array among other cost.  

"That's wrong, it's your money, and it's your own responsibility to protect your coins." every other institution that serves as my bank protects my funds I see no reason why bitcoin should be any different  

"something neither of the Pauls will ever be able to do." They already have made a large difference but Yes I agree.

"are you quitting bitcoin"   Yes

"If so, sell your coins or give them away"    Final Balance   0.004 BTC   you can have the .04 if you want it

"Is there a vulnerability in blockchain.info?" I wouldnt be at all surprised if there where

"I know you mentioned a shady site you visited, have any more information on that?" Ya I am watching movies but will look back and post here later  

"horrendous travesty that has so unjustly befallen him." I actually havent made a big deal at all about it.
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 12:27:52 AM

Look i realize you guys are hardcore fans of bitcoin, but I have been buying and selling them for a year and I dont see it working out, maybe that will change. When and if it does I will get back in and will be the first to admit I was wrong.

I just cant in good faith support it, I cant tell people I care about to use it. I want honest money and i dont see anything honest about bitcoin right now.
cparsley

Activity: 215

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 12:45:01 AM

Please for the love of god, protect yourself... using a web-based wallet is like leaving ur cash sitting on a public table.... you expect them to stay there?
dyingdreams

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 12:48:11 AM

The reference to Cyprus was concerning those who had money in the bank and had it taken by the government, nothing to do with bitcoins. See here.

As for this:

every other institution that serves as my bank protects my funds I see no reason why bitcoin should be any different  

I have just shown you an instance where this has not been true for others, in fact the exact opposite was true. Additionally, because of the Great Depression, many older people have a great deal of mistrust for banks. My own father refuses to put any of his money in the bank, and makes use of a bank account only when absolutely necessary.

The secondary password option that Blockchain.info offers is a password that is used when making certain changes to the account, but more importantly, must be entered any time you attempt to send bitcoins. Furthermore, when prompted for the secondary password, an onscreen keyboard comes up which allows you to use the mouse to enter the password. This foils key-loggers that strictly record key presses, but not those that record mouse position and clicks. Both this, as well as any of the two-factor authentication methods would've probably spared you this loss.

I am sorry that you lost your bitcoins, even though it wasn't a huge amount of money, it was still a significant loss. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. From what you've told me it doesn't seem likely that there is a vulnerability in Blockchain.info, or at least none that was in play here. It's probably safe to say you have a key-logger so you should probably take the time to scan your system just to be on the safe side. Even if you're not worried about your bank account or PayPal information because they protect your funds, it may save you the headache of having to go through the process of filing claims and getting your funds recovered. I imagine the reason why Blockchain.info wallets become targeted so frequently is due to the fact that they provide an interface to you wallet that can be accessed from anywhere in the world. If you had used a wallet program such as the Bitcoin-QT client, it would take more than a keylogger to get your coins, unless for some reason you had typed out your private key or copied it to the clipboard.

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 01:00:53 AM

" onscreen keyboard comes up which allows you to use the mouse to enter the password."   Sounds like that should be the default.

http://bigislandbitcoin.com/  This is one sketch link I said there was only one but I vaguely remember another I will have to do a bit of digging to find it. 

I have a QT wallet it is just way out of sync.  I dont save the coins just buy and sell them so I dont normally have a reason to store them for to long. When I get coins I use blockchin then send the coins off to various exchanges then sell them off for usd. i hold usd on the exchange to protect myself from market moves and then when someone contacts me looking for coins I buy them back.

I dont worry about the wallet to much because ordinarily someone would have to be fast to get anything out of there and if I do leave coins it is not more than I can lose.     
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 01:15:08 AM

"If so, sell your coins or give them away"    Final Balance   0.004 BTC   you can have the .04 if you want it

address is in my sig lolz.
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 03:46:49 AM

16zh6GmuyGCwizowXB5qhKAkMTAJHqyyiX
 Today 23:46:24 Unconfirmed Transaction!
-0.004 BTC
0.00 BTC
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 04:05:47 AM

I strongly suggest you download install and run this. 

http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors16/

Sounds like a hassle. Someone else can worry about it. It is their job to protect my accounts if someone steals it is their job to get the money back to me. I am a user it is for tech nerds to prevent this shit from happening. I dont care and I shouldnt have to care. I hate tech shit this is my dads company http://www.norlinx.com/ he is a computer engineer that writes software to manage data centers. He tortured me with programming when I was a kid. I dont like it and couldnt care less about it. I am a user i dont care about the details. I put my efforts in other places.   

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 04:19:43 AM

Oh all i need to do is go get a second computer? Is that all? Get real.

I know i am being a bit of a dick here, but every time I see someone getting robbed it is their fault. There is nothing wrong with the system no changes need to be implemented there is nothing to fix because the problem isnt the way that it works but my ignorance or my behavior.

What do you have against learning? It's one of the greatest joys in life. It enables you to do shit.

If you go on demanding that the world change to suit your current level of understanding or lack thereof, it's going to be pure butthurt from here on out.

First of all, I'm sorry for what happened.  That sucks, and it was not your fault you had bitcoins stolen from you.  But, there are three parties involved here, and each has their own responsibilities.  The thief is responsible for the theft, blockchain.info is responsible for its website, and you are responsible for management of your funds and whom you entrust them to.

Second, how long did you say you were using bitcoins for?  Why did you use them?  It seems you value(d) them, hence this thread.  So, it's confusing to me why you never learned about Bitcoin, a part of which involves learning how to manage your funds.  Your self-disclosed lack of knowledge indicates to me that you relied on blockchain.info because you didn't even trust yourself to know what you were doing.

Third, blockchain.info is not the "standard bearer" of Bitcoin.  What were you even trying to say in suggesting that?

Fourth, blaming bitcoins themselves is just a logic fail.  You might as well just blame the Internet as a whole because it had about as much to do with this heist as bitcoins did.  Or, blame computers.  You could commit to never using a computer ever again until the "tech guys" figure out how to make a computer that is invincible to all cyber attacks.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: