Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:28:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I almost logged in to this site, bitcointalk.to, instead of this one.  (Read 322 times)
ridertiger (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 01:26:11 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/
Looks and reads exactly like this one, but it is easier to load. There was a google link to it, when I clicked, I did not notice the differences.
I mean there seems to be a lot of messages as well. So is it a copy cat or a scam, or is it another branch of this site?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MillardFerland

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:17:34 PM

Its a phishing site, any mod didnt mention that theres a different link where you can safely login and redirected here. And look at the upper right corner the date is not even right January 13, 2018, 08:24:01 AM 
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 6977

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2018, 07:25:20 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2018, 07:44:34 PM by TryNinja

Am I the only one who can't even login in the fake website because reCaptcha isn't working on the login page? Why would someone try to login if the captcha isn't working? IMO the website is more like a (outdated) reading-only forum mirror than a phishing website. (just don't try to login)

"ERROR: Invalid domain for site key"
jhean_arcane

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 07:41:25 PM

To avoid clicking phishing sites, bookmark this website: https://bitcointalk.org
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 06:55:29 AM

You are not the only one, I woke up when it said the thing about captcha Smiley
Also lastpass did not fill in my info, which is a great measure against phishing sites I guess.
Am I the only one who can't even login in the fake website because reCaptcha isn't working on the login page? Why would someone try to login if the captcha isn't working? IMO the website is more like a (outdated) reading-only forum mirror than a phishing website. (just don't try to login)

stantpro

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:16:43 PM

Such sites should be placed on red alert once discovered to never allow unsuspecting
audience to fall victim.We need to probably have a forum for confirmed scamming sites
so as to inform, alert, advise and guide all members or subscribers of these discovered
dangers.Whoever brought this discovery to fore should be commended for the piece of
information.I encourage other as well to dutifully do same to save our community from
dysfunctional agents.
BenOnceAgain

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 08:11:46 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/
Looks and reads exactly like this one, but it is easier to load. There was a google link to it, when I clicked, I did not notice the differences.
I mean there seems to be a lot of messages as well. So is it a copy cat or a scam, or is it another branch of this site?

I've ALMOST done the same, after Googling something.  Beware, it is just a way for them to take your password.  They don't actually have the passwords for accounts on Bitcointalk.org, so it's an elaborate mirror phishing scam.  Some of these sites can steal your password even if you don't press the submit form, as they have AJAX code that runs in the browser that will send what you're typing to their server (similar to how autocomplete works on google.com, for example).  So it's a good idea to change your password if you've ever been tricked into even beginning to type this sites password.  I use KeePass for this reason, I don't know many of the passwords I use, KeePass does.

Here's something you can do to make sure you never reach that site, redirect bitcointalk.to to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).  In Windows this is done as follows:

1. Open Notepad or another text editor AS ADMINISTRATOR.  If you open it as a normal user, it won't allow you to write to your hosts file.

2. Use File | Open to open this file: C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts (Note, the file has no extension. This is proper.)

3. Add the following, on a line by itself, to the end of your hosts file:
Code:
127.0.0.1 bitcointalk.to

4. Save the file.

Now, any time your browser does a DNS lookup for "bitcointalk.to", it will resolve to the loopback/localhost IP and you'll get a timeout, since you're not running a web server.

You may have to reboot for this to take effect, but I don't think so.  If you want you can do a command prompt and "ipconfig /flushdns" should take care of it.

Hope this helps, that site should really come up redlisted in browsers.  Not sure why it doesn't.  Maybe I'll report it today.

Best regards,
Ben
preshpr1nce

Activity: 266
Merit: 60

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 09:21:09 AM

I would change your password if you entered it there, it's purpose is to gather your username/password

Different websites,
Pinging bitcointalk.to [104.31.78.210] with 32 bytes of data:
Pinging bitcointalk.com [104.28.15.56] with 32 bytes of data:
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 11:45:51 AM

Yeah, good thing my password program did not fill it in. I almost copied and pasted from the program, but then I saw the captcha did not fit in, which was a great wake up call.
There must be a place the owners of this site can complain though right?
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 6977

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 12:38:10 PM

I would change your password if you entered it there, it's purpose is to gather your username/password
I didn't. I knew if wasn't BitcoinTalk. My point was that I can't login even if I wanted to because the captcha isn't working.

I don't think so. Maybe you can report it if the website is paying Google to be advertised at the top of the page when you search "BitcoinTalk", but you can't easily take the entire site down.
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 05:41:08 PM

Unfortunately, it was not an ad link by google.
TurboRyzen

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 06:20:42 PM

I've seen a lot of people saying that their account was hacked and I always wondered how did it happen. Interesting to see a possible way. I'll be careful not to Google the site. Sometimes I enter bitcointalk.com by mistake, not fully being used to the .org.
BenOnceAgain

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 06:32:19 PM

I didn't. I knew if wasn't BitcoinTalk. My point was that I can't login even if I wanted to because the captcha isn't working.

I don't think so. Maybe you can report it if the website is paying Google to be advertised at the top of the page when you search "BitcoinTalk", but you can't easily take the entire site down.

Here's a link to report phishing websites.  I just reported them, but potentially more reports would push this site to the top of the list to be reviewed.  I assume if they get enough reports, it will become one of those "red page" warning screens.  I also looked and it appears that Firefox and Chrome both use Google's list:

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/?hl=en

Best regards,
Ben
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:14:22 AM

I just reported that as well, thanks for forwarding us there. If more people report it, all the better.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 03:26:33 PM

As TryNinja already said, it's not possible to login in this website because I also got "Invalid domain key" error.
I often see this fake website in first page of Google search results, sometimes even above original website. Once I mistakenly visited this website and didn't understood why I was logged out (I clicked to always stay logged in on Bitcointalk.org). And when I tried to login in Bitcointalk.to and saw captcha error, only then I realised that's fake website.
I also reported, but I'm not sure that it can help to remove this website from search results.
atamism

Activity: 463
Merit: 11

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 12:33:04 AM

Its a phishing website. Don't provide any information on that website. I don't even open the link because of the possibility of malwares or anything that can harm your device. The website has been reported many times and it should be closed soon. Its a site to get your email and password, once they be able to access your email, all of the accounts related to it will be zeroed out. That is how good they are. Be careful.
BenOnceAgain

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 02:04:45 AM

Just be really careful with that website, it's obviously collecting a lot of people's credentials.  If you look through Meta, you see that people's accounts are "hacked" quite often.  Many of them probably come from that site.  I reported it to the phishing site registry, but I have no idea how long it takes for them to investigate/respond to reports.

Here's something to know about those phishing sites, just in case you or anyone reading this doesn't know:

Even if you couldn't log in because of their captcha issue or whatever, a website can be coded in a way that it records everything you enter on a login page -- even if you never submit the form.  Most people believe that you have to submit the form for information to be sent to the website, and often that is the case.  But there are ways that a webpage can use javascript to submit information as you are typing it.

Best advice: if in doubt, change your password.  There's no harm in changing passwords whenever a compromise is possible, even if it's unlikely that it actually occurred.

Another thing you can do, if you are finding yourself going to that website accidentally often (because it shows up in Google results), you can prevent your computer from being able resolve the domain name for the website by null routing the DNS name (127.0.0.1 in your hosts file), or using a browser extension like this one (for Firefox):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blocksite/

I'm sure Chrome has one too, or I think it might have built-in functionality to block sites.

Better safe than sorry!

Best,
Ben
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:48:14 PM

Using lastpass is a very good way of avoiding that as well. It does not fill out the information if it is the wrong site.
khufuking

Activity: 840
Merit: 266

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 02:14:34 PM

It happened with me 2 days ago I was searching for something in google and I wanted the result form Bitcointalk so I entered what I wanted to search + bitcointalk and the results came up before I press it  I did not notice that the site was .tk , I only noticed when I saw myself loggout ! I always leave my account logged in to prevent the need to type the password . Anyway I closed the site immediately , thank god I did not try to login . 
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 04:29:13 PM

Yeah, something has to be done about it, I think it is called spoofing. If everyone fills out the form given above
https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/?hl=en
it will help report that site and something can be done about it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: