Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:37:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: >>10 port powered USB 2.0 hub $14.99 + A Very good selection of USB Hubs for BTC  (Read 7087 times)
RicRock

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:12:02 AM

You have to solder a wire to red circles (on the photos) that would be +5V, and another one GND(0) to the black ones (either will work)
As You can see there is no diode Y4 preventing power to go back to PC, and the circuit connecting it is solid, You will have to scrub this thin CU layer in brown line, after You do that check with multimeter if there is any connection left.

So connect all the +5v with a wire and do the same on the ground side?
Tommo_Aus

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:32:18 AM

As it happens I have the same hub, I removed the power supply from its cable and soldered in a molex to ground and +5v. No issues plugging the molex into my machines PSU and the hub into the PC. I can run 10 BE's for an hour or so but then they'll drop out.

Next up I'll try mijanur's suggestion to solder cable to the +5v line, but I don't understand the need to solder the ground and scrub the connection. Is this to stop power from the +5v line going back through the PC's USB port? Wouldn't I have seen the result of this after it being plugged in for days? Also, wouldn't this mean without any mods, the power from the external power supply would be going back through the computers USB port?

Tompool - http://tompool.org - a 2% fee SHA256/Scrypt/BURST/Groestl multipool supporting ANC, ASC, DGC, EZC, FLO, GLD, GME, MNC, RYC, TGC, TRC, XNC, ZET & more
mijanur

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:29:14 AM

You have to solder a wire to red circles (on the photos) that would be +5V, and another one GND(0) to the black ones (either will work)
As You can see there is no diode Y4 preventing power to go back to PC, and the circuit connecting it is solid, You will have to scrub this thin CU layer in brown line, after You do that check with multimeter if there is any connection left.

So connect all the +5v with a wire and do the same on the ground side?

not both, one or the other.
mijanur

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:33:15 AM

As it happens I have the same hub, I removed the power supply from its cable and soldered in a molex to ground and +5v. No issues plugging the molex into my machines PSU and the hub into the PC. I can run 10 BE's for an hour or so but then they'll drop out.

Next up I'll try mijanur's suggestion to solder cable to the +5v line, but I don't understand the need to solder the ground and scrub the connection. Is this to stop power from the +5v line going back through the PC's USB port? Wouldn't I have seen the result of this after it being plugged in for days? Also, wouldn't this mean without any mods, the power from the external power supply would be going back through the computers USB port?

Yes thats right, its to prevent feeback. close the loop
HUB will not power on its own after this.
ElitePork
Donator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:54:29 AM

Maybe we can start this as another topic for modding the USB hub. lol
Meanwhile back to topic, can I get 2 hubs without adapters? The price is the same?
hendo420 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 02:56:16 PM

Maybe we can start this as another topic for modding the USB hub. lol
Meanwhile back to topic, can I get 2 hubs without adapters? The price is the same?

Yes, price is the same. They ship directly from my supplier so I can't really get them without the power adapters.

ebmarket.co
hendo420 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 05:23:45 PM

The Rosewill RHB-500 usb hub is back in stock. There was a small price increase to account for my supplier raising their price. If/when my supplier lowers the price I will lower my price.

$28.99Rosewill 10-Port USB 2.0 Hub RHB-500 5v 4a
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/66773-rosewill-10-port-usb-2-0-hub-rhb-500-5v4a-free-2-day-ship-asic

ebmarket.co
Tommo_Aus

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 11:02:05 PM

Yes thats right, its to prevent feeback. close the loop
HUB will not power on its own after this.

What could happen if I don't scrub the connection? I've done the +5v mod to all ports and the hub will work for a couple of hours but then it'll drop out and the block erupters stop mining. The only way to fix it is by unplugging the hub from the PCs USB port and plugging it in again. Could this be caused by not scrubbing the connection?

Tompool - http://tompool.org - a 2% fee SHA256/Scrypt/BURST/Groestl multipool supporting ANC, ASC, DGC, EZC, FLO, GLD, GME, MNC, RYC, TGC, TRC, XNC, ZET & more
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 01:47:20 AM

I use the Anker hubs with a Jally connector from Cablez (do a user search), plugged into a PCI-E connector. Seems overkill, but I have no problem with it, and it will provide power for 10 block erupters easily. No need to worry about some crap powerbrick not providing enough power for you. You can run multiple hubs off a PCI-E connector with splitters.
mijanur

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 11:04:20 AM

[/quote]

What could happen if I don't scrub the connection? I've done the +5v mod to all ports and the hub will work for a couple of hours but then it'll drop out and the block erupters stop mining. The only way to fix it is by unplugging the hub from the PCs USB port and plugging it in again. Could this be caused by not scrubbing the connection?
[/quote]

you need to scrub it or cut the red wire on your usb cable.
hendo420 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 10:32:10 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2013, 03:54:19 AM by hendo420

I just put up some networking equipment for those that have asic blades.

$28.99WD My Net Switch - 8 Port Gigabit Network Switch
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/67822-wd-my-net-switch-8-port-gigabit-network-switch-free-2-day-ship

$24.99TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Switch
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/67820-tp-link-tl-sg1005d-5-port-gigabit-switch-free-2-day-shipping

$17.99Black 100FT CAT6 Network Cable
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/67816-black-100ft-cat6-cat-6-rj45-network-cable-100-free-shipping

$9.99Blue 50FT Cat6 Network Cable
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/67815-50-foot-50-cat6-rj45-network-ethernet-lan-cable-blue-free-ship

$16.995-Pack 5ft Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Cable
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/67818-5-pack-cat6-snagless-ethernet-cable-free-2-day-shipping

ebmarket.co
hendo420 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 05:35:04 AM

If anyone has a specific hub or piece of networking equipment they are looking for please PM me the manufacture and model number and I will see if my supplier has it. Smiley

ebmarket.co
hendo420 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 06:06:38 PM

shameless bump  Grin

ebmarket.co
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:33:00 PM

[/quote]

you need to scrub it or cut the red wire on your usb cable.
[/quote]

Sorry to ask, but, what if I scrub and solder the right diode in there?
What kind of diode (rating, voltage, etc) do you think it should be ok?

BTW, I don't have that that Capacitor near the power plug... What's his ratting?

Thank you!

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: