Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:03:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Am I Missing Here?  (Read 678 times)
windjc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 06:51:16 AM

My mind is doing back flips regarding a concept that is talked about on these forums as if it's very simple. So I just need to find some clarification.

I want to store my bitcoins offline in cold storage. Ok, simple enough.

So I currently have them in blockchain.info wallet with double encryption at the moment. So far so good.

Now, for whatever reason I can't seem to wrap my mind around how to get them from point A to point B.

I have read that I can transfer them to multi bit and then to cold storage. And other methods as well.

However, putting bitcoins in cold storage seems to be discussed mostly as a way of not losing your bitcoins. But I am more concerned with not having them hacked or stolen.

So I have a paper wallet from blockchain.info. Or I could send them to multi bit easily enough. And I could save the keys to multiple USBs.

But here is the thing I don't understand - won't I still have an online balance somewhere (at my blockchain wallet or my multi bit wallet)?  I mean how do I get a balance of 0% online and 100% offline?

I can save keys and do backups all day long. But how do I get my bitcoins offline?

And that is the question that seems simple enough to everyone but myself at the moment.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 06:58:10 AM

"offline" means your bitcoins are stored on a wallet that never touches the internet. you create an address on a permanently offline computer, and you store bitcoins in that address. that way, the computer cannot send your coins out if it is hacked.

if you need to spend btc, then you can import the priv key and make a new offline wallet when you are done.

there is no such thing as "offline" bitcoins, all btc are stored in the blockchain, which is online. offline refers to where the wallet holding the addresses is stored only.
gooryheta

Activity: 167
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:08:36 AM

Your loking for bitaddress.org

Check thread

[ANN] bitaddress.org Safe JavaScript Bitcoin address/private key
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43496.0

__                 ☆☆☆ TrustedCar Flex │ Changing Car Ownership Forever ☆☆☆                  __
‗/l__l\__                                 Token Sale June up to 30% Bonus                               __/l__l\‗
╘Θ═╧═Θ.╛   WhitepaperLightpaperANN ThreadFacebookTwitterTelegram   ╘.Θ═╧═Θ╛
windjc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 08:38:50 AM

"offline" means your bitcoins are stored on a wallet that never touches the internet. you create an address on a permanently offline computer, and you store bitcoins in that address. that way, the computer cannot send your coins out if it is hacked.

if you need to spend btc, then you can import the priv key and make a new offline wallet when you are done.

there is no such thing as "offline" bitcoins, all btc are stored in the blockchain, which is online. offline refers to where the wallet holding the addresses is stored only.

Ok. So walk me through the steps. What am I missing?

I create a wallet on Multi Bit. I send my bitcoins to it. I then make the computer that has multi bit offline? Is that what I do?
totemITnow

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 09:17:31 AM

I create a wallet on Multi Bit. I send my bitcoins to it. I then make the computer that has multi bit offline? Is that what I do?

No, the point is creating your wallet address on offline computer so noone can know the private key!

Not only creating, but keeping it out of reach forever from any online computer  Cheesy

torrentheaven

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 09:27:20 AM

1 Create bootable Ubuntu CD
2 Download bitaddress.org html to USB stick
3 Remove HDDs + any internet connection from your comp
4 Boot from Ubuntu CD
5 Create and print address+priv key from your USB stick page (OFFLINE !) Do not use printer with internal HDD ! Use small cheap printer !
6 Remove Cd + destroy USB stick + CD
7 Send BTC to your address, never reveal priv key
8 If you need to spend later, import priv key to blockchain.info or any other wallet
windjc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:04:28 AM

1 Create bootable Ubuntu CD
2 Download bitaddress.org html to USB stick
3 Remove HDDs + any internet connection from your comp
4 Boot from Ubuntu CD
5 Create and print address+priv key from your USB stick page (OFFLINE !) Do not use printer with internal HDD ! Use small cheap printer !
6 Remove Cd + destroy USB stick + CD
7 Send BTC to your address, never reveal priv key
8 If you need to spend later, import priv key to blockchain.info or any other wallet

Ok. So I understand everything but #7. How do I send bitcoin to an offline address. Doesn't the bitcoin have to travel using the Internet? This is what I don't understand.
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:14:28 AM

Ok. So I understand everything but #7. How do I send bitcoin to an offline address. Doesn't the bitcoin have to travel using the Internet? This is what I don't understand.
Bitcoins only travel within the blockchain,
doesn't matter if the receiver has a copy of that blockchain, or not, the coins will travel anyway.

windjc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:34:13 AM

Bitcoins only travel within the blockchain,
doesn't matter if the receiver has a copy of that blockchain, or not, the coins will travel anyway.

Ok. This is becoming clearer.

So how do I see how many coins are in an offline wallet? Where does it read?

lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:37:50 AM

Just go to
http://blockchain.info/address/<yourbitcoinaddresshere>
to check any address you like.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582