Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:22:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accessing TRX tokens sent to Coinbase ETH wallet.  (Read 99 times)
Dbaxterjr (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 11:59:38 AM

Good morning folks,

I'm frustrated with my self due to making a rookie mistake last night and could use some input.  I created an Etherwallet last night and was wanting to make a test transaction, so I sent .00001 ETH to my Coinbase wallet, which worked fine and was uneventful. I then was intending to send TRX token, which uses the same ERC20 blockchain as the ETH coin, from another Exchange to that newly created Etherwallet (not the coinbase one).  I failed to verify the address I was sending it to and accidentally sent the TRX token to the previous Coinbase ETH wallet address.  I can view the tokens were deposited into the Coinbase ETH wallet using Etherscan, however Coinbase doesn't support TRX token, therefore I can't access them through Coinbase, obviously. 

I reached out to Coinbase and got the generic "crypto transactions are irreversible and there's nothing we can do" response. 

When the Coinbase ETH wallet was created, Wouldn't they have access to the wallet info that would allow them to simply send the tokens back to the origination address?  It's not like I sent tokens to some random unknown wallet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Dave
Alone055

Activity: 1050
Merit: 204

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2018, 12:10:25 PM

Knowing the fact that Coinbase does not provide private keys for its addresses, I guess it is not possible to access your coins from your end unless they do something about this. If you could access the private key of your ETH address then you possibly could import it to another wallet and send the tokens back to your desired address, but as you can't access them, it is only the support of Coinbase who can help you with this.
Dbaxterjr (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 12:23:01 PM

That's what I'm afraid of.  I'm sure Coinbase is bombarded with "I sent coin to the wrong address" inquiries, but I hoped this would be a bit different since it was to my own Coinbase wallet.  I'm just hoping Coinbase is willing to look into it a bit deeper.
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 12:24:48 PM

Did you read this? https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2829461-altcoins-and-icos

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
Dbaxterjr (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 12:42:42 PM

I did not.. thanks for sharing.  Puts to rest that there's any hope I could have resolved this.  An expensive lesson learned. 

Dave
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: