Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:35:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Account unlock  (Read 91 times)
nmat2 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 12:13:51 PM

Hi,

I had an account with over 1000 posts since 2011 and now when I try to login I get a message saying that my account is locked. My original username was nmat:

Sorry nmat, you are banned from using this forum!
Your account is locked because it sat inactive for years after the password hashes were leaked in 2015, and was therefore at high risk of being hacked. Email xxxx@xxxx to get it unlocked.

I emailed that address a week ago but I got no reply. I believe I changed my password when the hashes were leaked and, as far as I know, I haven't been hacked so I assume my account was locked just as a safety precaution.
I have no bitcoin address associated with that account (aren't we supposed to use disposable addresses anyway?), but I still own the email I registered with. What should I do to get that account unlocked?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2018, 12:29:28 PM

There's a chance that you also hack the email account associated with that account, as you could try to use the same password with email.

P.S I don't know if there's a possible way to prove that you are the true owner of that account unless you sign a bitcoin address associated with that account. it is the only way to recover an account
nmat2 (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:18:47 AM

Well, my email has a different password and 2FA and I use it for a ton of other stuff much more important than a forum account. If someone got hold of that I guess posting here wouldn't be the first priority.

I have access to my bitcoin stackexchange account: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/users/5/nmat
I still have access to my ebay account which is mentioned in my PMs as belonging to me: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/nmatpt
I can speak portuguese from Portugal, a few posts in my history are in portuguese (pretty big coincidence for a hacker to also be able to speak it).
I can also verify my phone number or Skype, I think this was also mentioned in my PMs at some point.

It seems to me a bit unfair that someone just decides to lock down an account requiring proof of something that is impossible to obtain. I always used throw away bitcoin addresses.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:23:40 AM

Locking down the account was done in good faith to prevent anyone getting access to the account and posting as you. You could try sending all the information you have about the account, but it's likely that you won't  be able to recover it without a Bitcoin address. You said you used throwaway addresses what were these created with? If they were created with an online wallet which are quite common for throwaway addresses try and find out if you wrote the identifier down anywhere.
nmat2 (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:31:15 AM

Locking down the account was done in good faith to prevent anyone getting access to the account and posting as you. You could try sending all the information you have about the account, but it's likely that you won't  be able to recover it without a Bitcoin address. You said you used throwaway addresses what were these created with? If they were created with an online wallet which are quite common for throwaway addresses try and find out if you wrote the identifier down anywhere.

I understand the concern. From my point of view it's just a bit frustrating.

This was 2011 so most of the services that exist nowadays didn't even exist back then. I think I mostly used one of the first versions of bitaddress.org. I will have to go through my paper notes, but I highly doubt that I would have that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: