Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:45:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up a mining pool  (Read 1365 times)
meta.p02 (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 06:39:39 AM

I am interested in setting up a mining pool for several coins, and am looking into different hosting packages.

Usually, do mining pools use Website Hosting or VPS hosting?

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Trade on Cryptsy! Faucets: Watch ads, earn Bitcoin | Visit pages, get Bitcoin | Gamble with faucet earnings!
If you found my post informative/interesting, consider tipping at BTC: 15877457612137dj4MM57bGXRkPzU4wPRM or DVC: 1B2PAYVe9BQRrZKaWZxWtunutwrm6fVcF7.
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 06:52:42 AM

if you want to start out small, you can use a VPS droplet to create and run a pool.

However, you'll also need DDoS protection, which most VPS servers don't have included.

A dedicated server is probably the best way to go Smiley
meta.p02 (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 08:11:59 AM

Hmm... I had considered a dedicated server, however the prices were rather... out of my price range, so to speak. So VPS or Website hosting were my remaining choices. (Reseller hosting seems to not be for self-hosting purposes)

What is the difference between website hosting and VPS hosting that justifies their large price difference?

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Trade on Cryptsy! Faucets: Watch ads, earn Bitcoin | Visit pages, get Bitcoin | Gamble with faucet earnings!
If you found my post informative/interesting, consider tipping at BTC: 15877457612137dj4MM57bGXRkPzU4wPRM or DVC: 1B2PAYVe9BQRrZKaWZxWtunutwrm6fVcF7.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 08:17:12 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're running your pool on a vps, you had better have an extraordinary amount of trust in your service provider; once they realize what you're doing, it's not at all a challenge for an employee to swipe yiur Wallet or just to change the payout address... I seem to recall hearing of this over and over...
meta.p02 (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 12:42:02 AM

Bump

Anyone have any recommendations for VPS?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're running your pool on a vps, you had better have an extraordinary amount of trust in your service provider; once they realize what you're doing, it's not at all a challenge for an employee to swipe yiur Wallet or just to change the payout address... I seem to recall hearing of this over and over...

Thanks for the tip.

dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 02:06:15 AM

Oh what the hell:

1. You need a VPS period. A VPS (Virtual Private server) is just that, a complete server. You will be compiling and running coin daemons, Back-ends (Stratum/LP) and front-end software. You will need a database server (most commonly Mysql) to serve the database to both the front and back ends. The sever will be processing thousands of hashes, checking them , storing them and accounting them. All this is on top of the front end web page which will be running crons to account for all the data, payments, logging...etc..etc...

2. You do not need to worry about DDoS protection, at first . Unless you make it big where shutting down your pool would be enough for somebody to begin a 51% attack or MOST likely manipulate market prices, nobody is going to DDoS your small pool. I run 4 pools myself now and have run a few more in the past. I have never been DDoS because I am small potatoes, not worth the time. You can always add DDoS protection later.

3. No system admin is going to try and steal your pools coins. The small amount of coins (Even if they know what they are) are not worth the reputation hit and possible legal action the hosting company would face. Most likely these stories are made up by shady pool operators as an excuse for "losing" their miners coins which in all likely hood they stole themselves.

4. Litehosting.org is a good place to start. They have reasonable prices. Their top end VPS can handle two coin pools comfortably (8 cpu 3 GB RAM and 200 GB HD). If you pay quarterly, it is even cheaper and they take a number of cryptocoins for payment.

meta.p02 (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:37:20 AM

@Dreamwatcher:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into it.

By the way, kudos to you for setting up the GPL pool!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: