Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 04:28:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Gates says crypto-currencies cause deaths  (Read 825 times)
Hell-raiser

Activity: 462
Merit: 515

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:48:00 AM

Bill Gates is a distinguished hypocrite, so what could we really expect of him? Microsoft itself accepts Bitcoin at their site, and he either doesn't know or money does not stink. And my take is it's the second. On the other hand, what else could he say? He is a public figure, more or less, so he should be particularly careful about what he says and still more so about what he doesn't say. Obviously, he wouldn't want to sound like he is antigovermental.

Well, not only MS accepts Bitcoin, but Gates himself made few rather positive comments about Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in the past. That's not necessarily a hypocrisy on his part though. It's not like you have to be 100% for or against something. He could just be noticing both good and bad aspects of cryptos.

But again, the "cryptos causing deaths in fairy direct way" comment was simply idiotic.

I get your point but if we remember the history of the company he created and the sneaky practices it was using in the past (and probably still uses) to take advantage of their monopolistic position in the market whenever possible, suppress competition and weed out competitors at all costs (to get an idea see browser wars), Gates is likely the last man standing to take his words at their face-value. "Cryptos causing deaths in fairy direct way" is a telltale sign of or even insight into his mode of thinking, the narrative he sticks to deep inside. But maybe it is just a trait that all people in his social and business circle have got overdeveloped.

His buddy, Warenn Buffett, is also famous for purposefully talking gibberish and plain bullshit.
kier010

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:00:23 AM

what he said is true that bitcoin is being use by terrorist or evil people to buy drugs, guns or any illegal thins. not just bitcoin also fiat and fiat are the first to be used to buy illegal things. bitcoin is good fiat is also good but if used wrong then it is nod good anymore.
zkidkid

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:05:13 AM

Bill Gates is a distinguished hypocrite, so what could we really expect of him? Microsoft itself accepts Bitcoin at their site, and he either doesn't know or money does not stink. And my take is it's the second. On the other hand, what else could he say? He is a public figure, more or less, so he should be particularly careful about what he says and still more so about what he doesn't say. Obviously, he wouldn't want to sound like he is antigovermental.

Well, not only MS accepts Bitcoin, but Gates himself made few rather positive comments about Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in the past. That's not necessarily a hypocrisy on his part though. It's not like you have to be 100% for or against something. He could just be noticing both good and bad aspects of cryptos.

But again, the "cryptos causing deaths in fairy direct way" comment was simply idiotic.

I get your point but if we remember the history of the company he created and the sneaky practices it was using in the past (and probably still uses) to take advantage of their monopolistic position in the market whenever possible, suppress competition and weed out competitors at all costs (to get an idea see browser wars), Gates is likely the last man standing to take his words at their face-value. "Cryptos causing deaths in fairy direct way" is a telltale sign of or even insight into his mode of thinking, the narrative he sticks to deep inside. But maybe it is just a trait that all people in his social and business circle have got overdeveloped.

His buddy, Warenn Buffett, is also famous for purposefully talking gibberish and plain bullshit.

Maybe you misunderstood his mean.Remember Microsoft is one of a member of EEA. I believe that he is really interesting at Blockchain/Bitcoin, however, he worried about Anonymity.

fasdorcas

Activity: 798
Merit: 527

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:51:52 AM

First of all, I don’t think he’s talking about actual deaths, rather he’s just trying to say that Bitcoin is very risky and is making people lose everything they have. Why he mentioned the fentanyl drug is because he was trying to describe how bad the anonymity of Bitcoin can be, especially in cases of money laundering etc.

But no matter what, there are still people who are using Bitcoin for good. There are people that rely a lot on Bitcoin to help themselves and their families. So Bitcoin is important.
Fasunathan

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:21:32 AM

I just saw this news, For me its always the choice of an individual in how people will use the technology, many of the technologies can make an easy way to do bad things in life but it is the choice of the people, if they use it in a bad way, they will suffer for their selves.

Crypto-currencies are killing people in a "fairly direct way", Microsoft founder Bill Gates has said.

He was referring to the way digital currencies like Bitcoin are used to buy drugs like synthetic opioid fentanyl.

In an "ask me anything" session on news website Reddit, he said that the anonymity of digital currencies meant they were linked to terrorist funding and money laundering.

Some criticised him, saying he was ill-informed about the technology.

Asked by one user for his opinion on the technology, Mr Gates replied: "The main feature of crypto-currencies is their anonymity. I don't think this is a good thing. The government's ability to find money laundering and tax evasion and terrorist funding is a good thing.

"Right now, crypto-currencies are used for buying fentanyl and other drugs so it is a rare technology that has caused deaths in a fairly direct way. I think the speculative wave around ICOs [initial coin offerings] and crypto-currencies is super risky for those who go long."

heres the link: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43239781

I don't agree with that because even if without bitcoin, one can buy fentanyl using fiat. If someone would use the blockchain to buy illegal drugs then he/she should be the look-out because he can be traced. In our country drugs is very rampant but not because of bitcoin. Using bitcoin to do such illegal act is not practical move economically.
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:32:53 AM

I just saw this news, For me its always the choice of an individual in how people will use the technology, many of the technologies can make an easy way to do bad things in life but it is the choice of the people, if they use it in a bad way, they will suffer for their selves.

Crypto-currencies are killing people in a "fairly direct way", Microsoft founder Bill Gates has said.

He was referring to the way digital currencies like Bitcoin are used to buy drugs like synthetic opioid fentanyl.

In an "ask me anything" session on news website Reddit, he said that the anonymity of digital currencies meant they were linked to terrorist funding and money laundering.

Asked by one user for his opinion on the technology, Mr Gates replied: "The main feature of crypto-currencies is their anonymity. I don't think this is a good thing. The government's ability to find money laundering and tax evasion and terrorist funding is a good thing.

"Right now, crypto-currencies are used for buying fentanyl and other drugs so it is a rare technology that has caused deaths in a fairly direct way. I think the speculative wave around ICOs [initial coin offerings] and crypto-currencies is super risky for those who go long."

bill gates is a bitcoin fanatic coz he keeps saying contradicting words towards crypto lol..even FIATS can buy weapons and drugs..so why putting the issue on bitcoin?but hes true when he said years ago the BITCOIN IS UNSTOPPABLE no doubt about it,agree guys?😂 Well he might have many words but one thing is true here,even him Cant stop this community thats for sure
Maricel2017

Activity: 448
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:38:22 AM

I think Gates was invested huge amount of money when the bitcoin was on highest pick that is why he said that. I cant figure out that bitcoin will be dead because it has strong value that make more people attract to invest and have this currency.
I think i will be dead but bitcoin wont.

PG13

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 12:36:26 PM

It is sad to see people disrespect int the opinion of a person who became the richest person in the world by making technological innovations. I agree that he is not god and may make mistakes but I am sure that he is very much aware about the risks associated with crypto.

If you follow him on social networking websites, you must have observed that he still likes to read a lot. I would not be surprised to know that his statement is based on what he has read about crypto from credible sources. We should try to take his advice much seriously than any other member here.
I respect Mr. Gates and everyone has there own statement about crypto. Even the Fiat money had been exploited with terrorist with their underground buying of illegal drugs and weapons. So it's normal that people will take opportunity on the anonymity of digital currency. Maybe Mr. Gates just doing a FUD to shaken the market with his respectable image whose intention is to buy crypto at lower prices.

b e t f o r m ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ SMART CONTRACT POWERED SOCIAL BETTING PLATFORM
                               APP DOWNLOAD ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Google Play   App Store   [ WEB VERSION ]                                ❱❱❱ JOIN betform ❰❰❰
    FOLLOW US ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ◾ WHITEPAPERTELEGRAMFACEBOOKTWITTER
Question123

Activity: 1624
Merit: 267

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 12:44:17 PM

So even bill gates said bitcoin is cause of deaths it will not affect becauze we have own opinion and iwn decision if we want to invest our money t cryotocurrency or not. Because we want to earn money that the reason why we need to invest cryptocurrency while billgates have a lot of money so even they did not invest to crpto it will not problem to him.
cryptojac17

Activity: 490
Merit: 107

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:11:20 PM

So even bill gates said bitcoin is cause of deaths it will not affect becauze we have own opinion and iwn decision if we want to invest our money t cryotocurrency or not. Because we want to earn money that the reason why we need to invest cryptocurrency while billgates have a lot of money so even they did not invest to crpto it will not problem to him.
BIll Gates  just  say that  because bitcoin has been  with  drugs  issue  before by silk road  by using  but  bitcoin  a medium of payment able  to move on and they were able move  on. Aside from  moving  on become popular and more  demand.

putot

Activity: 77
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:52:44 PM

Well, i think it just depends on the people who think negative to bitcoin. Many people would say this is a savior and a blessing. If people think bitcoin has been a tool for negativity or even tool for crime and fraudulent transactions, well this depends on the people who used it for bad. But then, we should not generalized things.

http://www.ARBITAO.com
      THE NEW WAY OF ARBITRAGE TRADING     
[          PRE-SALE starts on July 1st          ]
Gotumoot

Activity: 1372
Merit: 261

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 06:07:35 PM

Well , we can't force them to believe bitcoin all of us have different outlook to bitcoin industry , some people think bitcoin as a life saver and some people think bitcoin as an illegal stuffs. Still bitcoin can have a both effect either bad or good depend on people. I have some link or information about bill gates on year 2014, feel free to look at.

Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/19/bill-gates-in-2014-bitcoin-is-better-than-currency.html
Nuru

Activity: 117

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 02:24:53 PM

In his statement replace Bitcoin with any other FIAT currency and it still will be a true statement. This is invalid comment, coming from him.

Exactly. To blame cryptocurrencies about illegal activities (many which have been problem for so long) is laughable. Maybe Gate is trying to create FUD to buy cheap bitcoins Grin
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 03:31:56 PM

I'm interested in checking bill gates on a lie detector to see if he has any bitcoins. I am sure that the answer will be positive. Most famous people hide their earnings in cryptocurrency. Those famous people who honestly pay taxes admit that they have bitcoins. It's a worldwide epidemic. I think the bankers bribed or forced bill to tell that lie.
I do not think that is as common as you make it out to be there will be some people doing that but it should be the minority especially since there is not a clear regulation in all the countries about what you can do with your bitcoin and how to pay taxes with it, however I do see that becoming a problem in the future and it could be one of the reasons of why bitcoin will be banned, criminals will use bitcoin but that is not the real reason for the ban but it will be an excuse the real reason will be all the taxes the governments will lose against bitcoin.
Aryancesarr

Activity: 86

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 03:36:01 PM

Bill Gates has worked hard for many years to become what he is. And when some people suddenly become billionaires in a few months doing nothing, this causes subconscious rejection and negative reaction.

What a perfectly good explanation for this stetement! It makes me wonder.
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 03:50:24 PM

I would say that fighting drugs, terrorists and money scams really is a good thing. So far I agree with Mr. Gates.
But putting all that on crypto currencies is a little far fetched in my eyes.
From what I can remember all those things have already existed long before bitcoin was created. And I am not aware of an increases of those activities since we have crypto currencies.
By the way, I am missing the positive effects that crypto currencies offer the world in his statement. Like creating jobs, for example.

It's me!!!
taiwww

Activity: 588
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:15:53 PM

What we can say about that. It is also being done through fiat currency so it's not big thing I guess. I mean buying drugs and doing it via any currency is not different thing, it is what it is. If people are addicted to stuff like that then they are the responsible person for it and not we or neither bitcoin itself. Bitcoin is just another currency if we see everything that is done with the help of it. So it's not the crypto currency which is causing the deaths but anything that is can get you drugs can cause the death. Lol
makolz26

Activity: 714
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:31:18 PM

What we can say about that. It is also being done through fiat currency so it's not big thing I guess. I mean buying drugs and doing it via any currency is not different thing, it is what it is. If people are addicted to stuff like that then they are the responsible person for it and not we or neither bitcoin itself. Bitcoin is just another currency if we see everything that is done with the help of it. So it's not the crypto currency which is causing the deaths but anything that is can get you drugs can cause the death. Lol
Long time ago he says that it is okay to invest in cryptocurrency because it will really change your life, maybe he said that especially when you are doing trading that it requires most of your time so you should be awake at least 16-18 hours in a day so you can have ample time to look at it.
Victor$

Activity: 89

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:35:00 PM

I think Gates was invested huge amount of money when the bitcoin was on highest pick that is why he said that. I cant figure out that bitcoin will be dead because it has strong value that make more people attract to invest and have this currency.
I think i will be dead but bitcoin wont.
Yeah many people use to do this kind of mistake, they invest at high price and then they find the price decreasing they lose the patience and sell bitcoin so it make lose for them then they curse and mooch bitcoin as a reason of their lose but there is no such reality because bitcoin has no connecting with their lose people should invest at the time of low price and sell at the high price so they will call bitcoin as a life maker not a cause of death.
Hell-raiser

Activity: 462
Merit: 515

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:52:07 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2018, 07:52:19 PM by Hell-raiser

I would say that fighting drugs, terrorists and money scams really is a good thing. So far I agree with Mr. Gates.
But putting all that on crypto currencies is a little far fetched in my eyes.
From what I can remember all those things have already existed long before bitcoin was created. And I am not aware of an increases of those activities since we have crypto currencies.
By the way, I am missing the positive effects that crypto currencies offer the world in his statement. Like creating jobs, for example.

It doesn't really matter if Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies actually have anything to do with these dirty activities. You can rest assured that they do have after all. But the true question should be how much really? And this is where things get complicated. Or should I rather say nasty? It doesn't matter if only a small percentage of cryptocurrencies is used in such activities because the financial elites such as banksters and their likes will be more than happy to jump at this opportunity to defame crypto. They will find a few cases where Bitcoin has in fact been used in money laundering, terrorism financing, or whatever, and they will make a scapegoat out of it, blowing it completely out of proportion.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: