Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:35:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you help design a better Bitcoin Interface?  (Read 1736 times)
Possum (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 01:26:03 PM

Hi

It it possible to design and implement a better Interface for the Bitcoin Back end and User Interface?

For Example a columb with the USD dollar in it.

Is there a place to add your ideas  for a better Bitcoin Interface.

Thank you..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WakiMiko

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 05:41:08 PM

John Smith is working on a Qt interface here http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15276.0

However, I am strongly opposed to adding a USD column because that would make the client depend on an exchange and give the impression that BTC is tied to the dollar.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:09:09 PM

A configurable drop-down menu to compare the exchanges in several currencies and precious metals would be awesome because it would make the value easily understood by nearly anyone.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 11:12:07 AM

The most sensible way to design a client would be to make a list of all the things it can do, group them into sensible groups, each containing as little as possible, then choose appropriate metaphors for each thing that can be manipulated. Tacking stuff onto the already rather ugly UI isn't a good idea IMO. We need a proper UI designer who can do this, programmers are notoriously bad at UI design.
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 01:23:14 PM

A configurable drop-down menu to compare the exchanges in several currencies and precious metals would be awesome because it would make the value easily understood by nearly anyone.
The problem is one of data distribution; see my comment here:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=31082.0

I'm also heavily against displaying prices in dollar, but a way to add in real-time market data would be nice.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:16:53 PM

The client lacks A LOT of things but a column displaying the btc value in dollar isn't one of them in my opinion...

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 11:50:54 PM

The client lacks A LOT of things but a column displaying the btc value in dollar isn't one of them in my opinion...

I agree.  I think we need some sort of remote control software so we can authorize bitcoin transactions in person using a phone. 
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 12:15:23 AM

John Smith is working on a Qt interface here http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15276.0

However, I am strongly opposed to adding a USD column because that would make the client depend on an exchange and give the impression that BTC is tied to the dollar.

Except that Merchants using Bitcoin still trade in dollars, and must be able to quickly price goods and services in Dollars. Yours is just a fundamentalist party line, that seems to refuse that 95% of the talking being done about Bitcoin is because it has a peg to the dollar, and as such has a baseline store of value that becomes more reliable the more people buy it for the dollars you're so against.

Without other currencies to exchange to, Bitcoin has no value to the public at large.

Just my ten cents. No, not my ten bitcoins. My ten cents.

wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 09:12:14 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2011, 09:29:20 AM by John Smith

Except that Merchants using Bitcoin still trade in dollars, and must be able to quickly price goods and services in Dollars.
No, people at my side of the ocean trade in Euros. So yeah I'll hack my client to show only Euros, let's teach those Amerifags a lesson!

Oh wait...

It makes sense to display the same values for everyone. Otherwise one person would send NN Euros and the other would receive MM Rubels. Based on the current BTC exchange rates of those currencies at some shadowy exchange. No guarantee that you'd actually get that amount of local currency when you're ready to sell, which would confuse the merchant even more than simply regarding it as a foreign currency.

(also, due to internet latency issues, this even applies to two people sending each other $ in BTC. They'd potentially see different exchange rates. Unless the exchange rates would somehow be embedded in the block chain for each instant, this is a recipe for a lot of confusion)

But yes, let's make this an ad hominem attack instead of a practical issue, call me a radical pro-globalist I like that :-)

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Crobbo

July 28, 2011, 09:46:21 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 12:14:15 PM by Crobbo

WakiMiko

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 11:12:25 AM

Yours is just a fundamentalist party line, that seems to refuse that 95% of the talking being done about Bitcoin is because it has a peg to the dollar, and as such has a baseline store of value that becomes more reliable the more people buy it for the dollars you're so against.

But bitcoin ISN'T pegged to the dollar. Or any other currency for that matter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: