Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:26:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Was my Wallet Stolen? (Litecoin)  (Read 153 times)
CryptoWV (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:00:24 AM

I tried to open my Litecoin wallet this evening and the only option that came up was for me to uninstall the program. Further, when I go to the folder, this is all that I see: https://ibb.co/g7eWDH

I cannot access my wallet? Do I need to do a system restore?
HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:06:46 AM

I don’t think what you are describing is the symptoms of a stolen/hacked wallet.  Sounds more a software corruption.  Do not delete that DAT file.  

If you have a second computer, you can try installing the wallet, and importing the dat file.  I would try on a second computer first, if you can, to ensure that you do not overwrite your current wallet files.

Of course, if you have the private key saved somewhere, you can restore from that.  
CryptoWV (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:10:08 AM

Unfortunately, all I have is a tablet and a laptop. I do not have the key. What do you recommend?
HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:14:11 AM

Unfortunately, all I have is a tablet. I do not have the key. What do you recommend?

Start by copying all those files to a usb drive to preserve them, but any attempts to reinstall the wallet is risky because it will overwrite files.

Do you think there is any chance your anti virus software is blocking the wallet from opening?

can you post a screen shot of the uninstall message?
CryptoWV (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:19:00 AM

I have Malware Bytes running. The uninstall icon is as follows: https://ibb.co/jSou0x
Acguy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:22:32 AM

Doesn't seem like you got hacked but a problem with your wallet, just reinstall it again or use a different wallet BUT back up you private keys first.

▄██▄
         ▄██████▄
       ▄███▀  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀ ▄██▄ ▀███▄
   ▄███▀ ▄██▀▀██▄ ▀███▄
 ▄███▀ ▄██▀    ▀▀▀  ▀███▄
██████████████████████
 ▀███▄  ▄▄▄    ▄██▀ ▄███▀
   ▀███▄ ▀██▄▄██▀ ▄███▀
     ▀███▄ ▀██▀ ▄███▀
       ▀███▄  ▄███▀
         ▀██████▀
           ▀██▀
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
           ▄██▄
         ▄██████▄
       ▄███▀  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀ ▄██▄ ▀███▄
   ▄███▀ ▄██▀▀██▄ ▀███▄
 ▄███▀ ▄██▀    ▀▀▀  ▀███▄
██████████████████████████
 ▀███▄  ▄▄▄    ▄██▀ ▄███▀
   ▀███▄ ▀██▄▄██▀ ▄███▀
     ▀███▄ ▀██▀ ▄███▀
       ▀███▄  ▄███▀
         ▀██████▀
           ▀██▀
ANN Thread     WhitePaper
Facebook     Telegram     Twitter
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
Ini35

Activity: 448
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:23:55 AM

This seem to me that your system has been corrupted with virus. In my opinion, i do feel you should have saved some of the vital information needed for you to recover your wallet earlier before now. Your wallet was not hacked in my opinion.   Try cleaning up your system without totally formatting it, to see if the wallet contents can be restored.
CryptoWV (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:25:33 AM

What is the best way to backup and best way for system restore?
kayvie

Activity: 1022
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:36:12 AM

I tried to open my Litecoin wallet this evening and the only option that came up was for me to uninstall the program. Further, when I go to the folder, this is all that I see: https://ibb.co/g7eWDH

yes you do, i think the reason why you cannot open your wallet is that, its file is corrupted or something has been changed or removed. try to open it on another device by using the data of your wallet. i think it would work.
CryptoWV (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:39:38 AM

I am very illiterate when it comes down to computers. What data can I use?
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 04:54:30 AM

You open the file using IE that's why there's a logo of it, fallible is only a thing.
Try to restore to previous version of that wallet.dat file to see if it gets reverted back to origanl file.

I don't use windows O.S but I know that there's a one way you can revert back everything to original files.
look for windows recovery and choose a starting point where you've installed that litecoin wallet. You can see it in the file system if you check a make a restore point.

P.S I hope that sounds decipherable.
aioc

Activity: 2940
Merit: 567

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:59:27 AM

You open the file using IE that's why there's a logo of it, fallible is only a thing.
Try to restore to previous version of that wallet.dat file to see if it gets reverted back to origanl file.

I don't use windows O.S but I know that there's a one way you can revert back everything to original files.
look for windows recovery and choose a starting point where you've installed that litecoin wallet. You can see it in the file system if you check a make a restore point.

P.S I hope that sounds decipherable.

That's true make sure that you pick the date after you install the wallet, the only one that you need to secure is the wallet.dat  because this is where your coins and all your transactions are located, you can delete all the files and only retain the wallet dat and try to install a new litecoin wallet.

mpufatzis

Activity: 840
Merit: 128

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 05:11:06 PM

The best is to consider your PC as compromised.
If you have your Litecoins address, without disclosing the private key, check the Litecoin's blockchain ( the following address) to see if the coins are still there:

https://live.blockcypher.com/ltc/

I not, be sure that your coins are stolen if it is not empty you probably had a malfunction on your computer.
In any case, it would be better not to use the same PC for transactions, games, torrenting. Buy a dedicated PC or a hardware wallet.

totnaksquad

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

Revolutionising Marketing and Loyalty

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:16:02 PM

Doesnt have the private keys means it is not your wallet,or you do not fully own it,what will you do if your computer or tablet broked? all of your money would be lost forever you know how important the keys are and you should do some duplicate or copy of your private keys so if anythign happens like this you can easily restore all of your funds.

nmax21

Activity: 350
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:39:34 PM

If there is a file wallet.dat, then the wallet can be restored. This file contains encrypted private keys.

cryptamod

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:41:22 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 04:21:42 PM by cryptamod

Morelikely your app wallet was the one that is not working properly but why you dont know your private keys? it is the most imporant thing that you should be securing when you are doing cryptocurrencies,lose anything but do not lose your keys because if you do lost it your coins will be lost forever and you wont be able to restore yoru holdings.

TWITTER ◣                                ☆ FLUX ☆                             ◢ WHITEPAPER  ◤   17 - 24
       WEBSITE ◣                    GAMING ECOSYSTEM                     ◢ MEDIUM                 April     
           TELEGRAM ◣     VALVE ✧ UBISOFT ✧ Origin ✧ GAMELOFT    ◢ FACEBOOK        Public Sale ◢   
azalea69

Activity: 336
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 05:30:06 AM

hear what you say, I do not think it's theft or money scam. try to update the system first. to be more secure you check first and change the existing system.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: