Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:37:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Ubuntu on a second Rig - No Hard Disk Detected?  (Read 1383 times)
bboques (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:03:14 PM

Hey guys, I got ubuntu setup on a new computer with 1 5830 using a USB drive as a bootable disk so I am a little versed in how it should go.  I just setup another tower which has 2 5970, its setup on an ASROck67 Extreme 4 MB, Intell 140 Processor, and some 250gig hardrive.

I bought everything new and had a computer shop build this. Everytime I boot this it says No hard disk detected, I took it back to the shop and they added some drivers and said it was running but I can not get it to see the harddrive. Any ideas? The harddrive was not shipped to me, I bought it retail.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bboques (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:50:40 PM

Im just not sure why a harddrive installed by a computer shop is not showing up, even after they looked at it again and said it was working :/

Do I need a harddrive to get an OS working?
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:58:26 PM

Do I need a harddrive to get an OS working?
no.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
bboques (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:05:22 PM

Where can I learn how to find what is wrong with a computer that does not recognize a harddrive?
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:09:49 PM

Where can I learn how to find what is wrong with a computer that does not recognize a harddrive?
Google? "ubuntu harddisk not detected"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:39:30 PM

Use linuxcoin Cheesy
CERN

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 08:11:21 AM

"No hard disk detected" sounds like the type of error/info message that your BIOS would output, not the Linux kernel

Is this the case?  You mentioned that you are booting from a USB device; is the USB device this 250 gb hard drive, or something else?

If it is indeed an error from your BIOS (I assume it is), then the likely configuration is that you are using a USB device to boot from, with the hard disk being a separate device that you intended to store files on (which does not contain a boot loader)...  Try pressing F12 at boot (or sometimes F8; whatever the BIOS tells you to do for a boot menu) and see if you can boot from your USB device.  The problem is probably that the boot order is wrong
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: