Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:56:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grow Tent with 100F air intake?  (Read 329 times)
jamesgalb (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:42:25 AM

I want to set up my shelf of rigs in the garage as it is beginning to overwhelm my office.

I am in FL, and my garage gets as hot as it gets outside.  Would an ambient air intake of 100F be able to keep 20ish GPUs cool so long as I keep air moving across them and exhausted out?
ylpkm2

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 06:33:53 AM

May run into trouble at full load. My rigs start to have a few cards hit 80+C once ambient temp is 90+F
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 07:11:08 AM

I want to set up my shelf of rigs in the garage as it is beginning to overwhelm my office.

I am in FL, and my garage gets as hot as it gets outside.  Would an ambient air intake of 100F be able to keep 20ish GPUs cool so long as I keep air moving across them and exhausted out?
do you mean air from out to in your garage? or air from your garage to out?.
jamesgalb (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 01:27:42 PM

do you mean air from out to in your garage? or air from your garage to out?.

Suck in air from inside of my garage, exhaust it to outside of my garage.

I am hoping I can keep the air inside of my garage cooler than it is than pulling air from directly outside.  I am also intending to run a dehumidifier I have in the garage near the tent.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 01:41:50 PM

If you can provide a full , strong airflow, then you should be ok.
make sure there is no "dead spots" around your gpu's , place a extra coolong fan behing your rigs.
Use a high CFM fan ( prefer industrial grade for 24/7 operation )  to pull the air out from your garage , place your rigs front of the side opening, or side window of the garage where the outside air coming in.
Dehumidifier did not make any sense , bc the high speed air flow.

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
matuson

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 02:01:38 PM

I think that you will need to do a forced ventilation system. It's not easy. In the construction of any house is the project of ventilation. You need to turn to professionals. I saw an example when a forced fan could not cool the room. After experts properly placed vents, the room temperature has decreased by 20-35 degrees
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 02:39:37 PM

You are probably going to want to pull air in from the outside and from below the height of the GPUs then exhaust it back to the outside above the GPUs.

To figure out how powerful of a fan you will need, plug in the heat load in Watts (basically the at-the-wall power consumption) and the temperature rise, delta-T, in degrees Celsius (assume 20-30C) into this equation:

CFM = (1.756 * Watts) / (delta-T)

So, for example, 2000 W with a 20 C temp rise allowed will require a minimum of 175 CFM. That's the ideal case, of course.

Apologies for the mixing of Imperial and Metric units, but using degrees F makes the equation cumbersome while converting from cubic meters / second to CFM is relatively easy.

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:45:28 PM

As long as you keep replacing the hot air around the GPU's with fresh air it will work. A modified version of this enclosure where you attach a duct to exhaust the hot air outside, so it's not recirculated inside the garage should work best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGszLAAyTcc
jamesgalb (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 05:35:59 PM

You are probably going to want to pull air in from the outside and from below the height of the GPUs then exhaust it back to the outside above the GPUs.

To figure out how powerful of a fan you will need, plug in the heat load in Watts (basically the at-the-wall power consumption) and the temperature rise, delta-T, in degrees Celsius (assume 20-30C) into this equation:

CFM = (1.756 * Watts) / (delta-T)

So, for example, 2000 W with a 20 C temp rise allowed will require a minimum of 175 CFM. That's the ideal case, of course.

Apologies for the mixing of Imperial and Metric units, but using degrees F makes the equation cumbersome while converting from cubic meters / second to CFM is relatively easy.

So help me out here Smiley

I am not sure what the "Temp Rise" will be...

But we are assuming 3000w (4000w+ eventually), in a 48"x48"x80" tent.  I was planning to run an exhaust fan ducted out of my garage at 700+ cfm, pulling in cooler air from the bottom vents at the floor of the garage.  Do I need that much?  And would the negative pressure collapse the tent?  

Here is the tent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9E10HP/
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 07:54:45 PM

If you run them at "efficient" settings it's cool enough.
My "mining room" was getting into that range at times last summer, and I didn't even have most of the "convert to riser rigs" work started at that point.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
BillJackson

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 04:42:10 PM

Among the products mentioned on the list, which one is the best?
https://householdneed.com/best-grow-tent/
martychubbs

Activity: 742
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 08, 2019, 12:37:14 PM

Hello! as far as i understand you want the air to be taking out from your garage to the outside?
That heating matter is really a pain in the ass, and my advice is to think of ventilation construction. You may find some DIY stuff about that.
Personally, the thermos system of keeping cool or warmth is a good hint of how we can design the sace for mining, especially with ventilation system added.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄████████████████████▄
     ▄██████████████▀█████████▄
   ▄███████████████   ██████████▄
  ▐█████████████████   ██████████▌
 ▐█████████████████▀    ██████████▌
 ███████████████▀        ██████████
▐████████████▀     ▄███   █████████▌
████████████    ▄████▀██▄███████████
██████████▀██▄████▀    █████████████
█████████   ███▀     ▄██████████████