Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 06:36:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Here is why ICOs should pay in ETH instead of Tokens  (Read 428 times)
CodyAlfaridzi

Activity: 1708
Merit: 541

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 11:40:40 AM

In reality, it makes no difference for the team to pay in ETH instead of the token, and here is why: The amount raised in the ICO is usually in ETH. By sending 2% (or whatever the bounty was) from this project fund to bounty hunters, it makes little difference to the team, they still have 98% of their fund left. Furthermore, no market dumping can occur, and we no longer have to listen to the whining on telegram when the price drops below ICO like it always does.

My guess is that most ICO team sees their token as worthless token while ETH does have a real value so they try to spend Ethereum as little as possible. They know that over time, their token will most likely become worthless. That's why most of ICO teams are so eager to pay bounty with their own token instead of ETH.

Sad to say that most bounty hunters are not holding their coins and easily dumps when the coins hit at exchanges. I understand that not all coins are worth to hold but if you take to hold for 3-6 months maybe a better price at that time.

Do you hold your token after receiving it? Well, the reason most people dump their token immediately is that most ICOs are shit and only selling whitepaper. Most ICOs are not going to make their promised product came true, let alone achieving the projected target and make profits. Only very very few are worth holding. It's a logical thing to dump their token immediately.
Murloc

Activity: 322
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 11:44:54 AM

If the promotion campaign is payed in project's tokens then it usualy means that the team is lacking budget before the ICO. Also it makes bounty hunters more involved in the project. Personaly I'm fine with the idea of promoting ICOs with token rewards simply because it creates a competition and makes bounty hunters to learn more about current project. It shouldn't be just a free money for ctrl+v sig code.
I know that we all want to recieve fast payments in already established currencies but I'm sure that team doesn't care much about the token price before the launch of the project. If someone dump big amount of tokens then it is not their problem.

ETHtotheMOON1

Activity: 280
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 11:47:38 AM

There is a concerning trend over the last year to pay bounties in project tokens instead of BTC/ETH. This leads to market dumps almost always after the ICO due to bounty sell-offs.

In reality, it makes no difference for the team to pay in ETH instead of the token, and here is why: The amount raised in the ICO is usually in ETH. By sending 2% (or whatever the bounty was) from this project fund to bounty hunters, it makes little difference to the team, they still have 98% of their fund left. Furthermore, no market dumping can occur, and we no longer have to listen to the whining on telegram when the price drops below ICO like it always does.

Here is a fact: Nearly all tokens are dropping below ICO value when they hit exchanges during this bear market. The only people that are stupid enough to invest in ICOs at this time are new investors. Established investors will always wait for the token to hit exchanges and buy-up at a lower value during bear markets. This is because established investors realize a lot of free tokens get dumped after the ICO.

If ICO teams continue to payout bounties in their tokens, eventually all investors will cotton-on and no longer contribute to ICOs anymore. With everyone waiting for post-ICO exchange dumps, teams will no longer be able to raise any capital. As of now, retail investors aren't smart enough to realize this, but give them time, and they will, and this will effect the entire alt-coin sphere.

Simply payout bounties in ETH from the funds raised instead of the token. It literally makes no difference for the team, and it offsets the risk for everyone. This terrible trend of token payouts needs to end.

actually you made a good point. This is the same thing in case the coin is successful and have value after listing on exchanges. Because if not, it's not the same for them to send useless tokens instead of eth /btc

▰▰▰▰ BLACK ▰▰▰▰
 ▰▰▰▰ Insurance Company on Blockchain  ▰▰▰▰
http://www.black.insure/
blogardianz

Activity: 213
Merit: 11

[ CINDX ] REFORM HOW SELL & BUY CRYPTO

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 11:51:07 AM

Damn! this is good topic. I just learned this theory.
It's good Idea if bounty hunters paid by BTC or ETH. So a dumper hunters can't ruin the price values of the tokens.
But i think its' difficult. ICO  team will feel their profits decrease if the hunters are paid with BTC or ETH

aizen10

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 11:53:15 AM

There is a concerning trend over the last year to pay bounties in project tokens instead of BTC/ETH. This leads to market dumps almost always after the ICO due to bounty sell-offs.

Here is a fact: Nearly all tokens are dropping below ICO value when they hit exchanges during this bear market. The only people that are stupid enough to invest in ICOs at this time are new investors. Established investors will always wait for the token to hit exchanges and buy-up at a lower value during bear markets. This is because established investors realize a lot of free tokens get dumped after the ICO.

If ICO teams continue to payout bounties in their tokens, eventually all investors will cotton-on and no longer contribute to ICOs anymore. With everyone waiting for post-ICO exchange dumps, teams will no longer be able to raise any capital. As of now, retail investors aren't smart enough to realize this, but give them time, and they will, and this will effect the entire alt-coin sphere.

Simply payout bounties in ETH from the funds raised instead of the token. It literally makes no difference for the team, and it offsets the risk for everyone. This terrible trend of token payouts needs to end.

Yeah,  your definitely right,  most of the ico price drop after the ico ends,  and this will continusly happening again and again,  so this idea is more great and effectiveness if they implement to less worries on how the ico token drops by the massive dumptation.
yndye

Activity: 616
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 11:59:56 AM

I agree being paid with ETH but I do not disagree as well being paid in tokens because it gives me an opportunity to participate in the project first hand compared to just being an investor if I really like the project. Although, being paid with ETH would be a good solution to avoid the dumping after the distribution of bounty. I think this is the reason why some ICOs delay the distribution of bounties after some time because it wouldn't affect the price that much if the coin is already in the market for some time. It would be a win-win situation if this happened when more ICOs would pay its bounty participants with ETH.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄███████████▀▀███████████████▄
██████████▀▀ ▄▄█▀  █████████████
███████████▄▄█▀  ▄███▀   █████████
█████████████  ▄███▀      ██████████
▄████████████████▀        ███████████▄
██████████████▀          ▄████████████
███████████▀             █████████████
████████▀               ██████████████
████████▄              ███  ██████████
▀██████████████        ██  █▀ ███████▀
███████████████      ██▀ ▄█ ▄███████
██████████████     ███  █  ███████
██████████████   ▄██  █▀ ███████
▀████████████▄ ▄█████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

▄████████████████████▄
████████      ████████
██████████████████████
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██████████▀▀██████████
████████▀    ▀████████
████████▄    ▄████████
▀█████████▄▄█████████▀
  Download on the
App Store

GET IT ON
Google Play
  ●  FACEBOOK
●  TWITTER
●  TELEGRAM
Lovecove

Activity: 161
Merit: 38

(Thank you for all the merit =) ) ~Lovecove!

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 12:03:57 PM

The problem is the team don't wanna decrease their ethereum amount. The fact that the team was generating it through pay a little cost to the smartcontract and they are raised a lot of money. Not all of these icos interested to do that. Rather than think about to make the price of their token will be stable through pay the bounty through ethereum. And they are feeling better to see their ethereum still in the wallet.
XUC becomes a good example about that how the price of token gets stable anytime.

I agree. An ICO team raised ETH funds. Tokens are free, because they control them. So, psychologically, they'd rather hand out tokens to bounty hunters than eth.

I think an ICO team really doesn't care about the price of their token in the short term, so they'd rather give those out.

To them, eth is money, while their token is simply part of their project. The ethical teams don't trade their own tokens, so it's less of an incentive for them to hand out eth if they can't use their tokens for liquidity.

Visit now if you're interested in buying these domains: EtherMining.org, CryptoMovement.org, Bitcoiner.Co
shandi albert

Activity: 308
Merit: 101

FXPay.io

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 12:19:44 PM

It is very good to be pay in ethereum and bitcoin when a company or developer hire people to promote his project but we have to understand that payment in they own tokens will help promote their own projects in the market. I think it will be selfish for one to said we should receive ethereum instead of they own coins or tokens.
And usually a bounty project using payments with BTC or ETH will be limited to its participants, This means not many people can participate because of using the quota system. I think there are positive and negative sides.

commanderbitcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 02:26:02 PM

If i am not mistaken the only token ICO that did this is Oyster Token. The developer prefer to pay in Ethereum rather than token because he believes that his coin has a better value only to be dump by bounty hunters. Now the coin jump in unexpected high and have a stable price.

el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 07:41:20 AM

It is very good to be pay in ethereum and bitcoin when a company or developer hire people to promote his project but we have to understand that payment in they own tokens will help promote their own projects in the market. I think it will be selfish for one to said we should receive ethereum instead of they own coins or tokens.
Paying in Ethereum will really make a lot of sense and at the end of the day, any bounty hunter with interest in the project will go to the exchange and buy rather than paying in tokens. However, since it is a norm and the devs are trying to also play safe, it would start giving investors different impressions about ICOs. There are so many tokens I have waited for recently to hit exchanges and then decided to buy them when they eventually dip, because it is becoming a normal trend.

I am sure a lot of campaigns are not thinking about paying in eth and if care is not taken, most of the things you have listed out is all that would end up happening.

For instance, I invested in adbank recently, only to discover its rate few days later, lower than the amount I bought during the ICO, and luckily, I had some funds, which was what made me to buy more. Sure, the market will recover, but if I see a good project, what I keep telling myself is to just chill and wait for it to hit an exchange, see the market reaction and then buy. Bear market or not, it happens most of the time.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
iconoclast

Activity: 770
Merit: 102

Matrix Built On An Ethereum Smart Contract

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 07:49:06 AM

Bounties are usually around 2% of the float and should be too small to tank the price post ICO if the project has built up a decent level of community support. The real culprit is the massive discounts offered to Pre ICO investors. I have seen Discounts as large as 70% over the ICO price. They can easily accept half the ICO price at the opening and still make huge profits.

upsidedown75
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 04:24:45 PM
Merited by rickadone (1)

Your idea is very precise, I remember with the XUC exchange union project. If I'm not mistaken they pay campaign prizes using eth. This is very influential on token prices in the future, because there is no dump of the campaign participants and developers do not need to spend money to pump the price of coins. At ico the price of XUC is only $2.2 and the current price has reached $6.6 , very different from the project paying the campaign reward using its own coin. This is the best solution for the project to go according to plan and without any risk.
I have had the same instance happening several times, and these days, I have been doing the 50:50 pattern for ICOs, which is more like, invest 50% during the ICO and if it keeps going up once it hits the exchange, good and fine, and if it drops far below the ICO, then I invest the remaining 50.

The OP is very right and if investors start seeing this trend, then we may end up seeing just few investors in the future. The only excuse some of them are giving now is that it is a bear market, so there is really nothing that can be done.
slaman29
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1224

Livecasino, 20% cashback, no fuss payouts.

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 04:27:27 PM

That is already known to be honest. The good projects should know that they are harming themselves when they pay bounties out in their own tokens, first of all because they know these tokens are going to be dumped. Second because they know bounty hunters can even sometimes gain a lot more tokens that investors, and investors who know this will stay away, or feel like an injustice has happened after bounties are distributed. Solve the issue and just pay properly.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
... LIVECASINO.io    Play Live Games with up to 20% cashback!...██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
bulbolitobayagyag

Activity: 166
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 04:33:22 PM

I also want to get paid in ETH instead of these tokens that doesnt have good value after some time,keeping tokens in months wont give you any assurance that they will have some good value in the future,you are indeed right the ICOs should pay us with ETH as they have millions of funds on hand bounty hunters are the key to success that is why we should be prioritize in the first place.

MIDEX ● BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM
▬ with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers
# WEBANN + BountyTelegramFacebookTwitterBlog # GET TOKENS #
rickadone
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 04:54:02 PM

Your idea is very precise, I remember with the XUC exchange union project. If I'm not mistaken they pay campaign prizes using eth. This is very influential on token prices in the future, because there is no dump of the campaign participants and developers do not need to spend money to pump the price of coins. At ico the price of XUC is only $2.2 and the current price has reached $6.6 , very different from the project paying the campaign reward using its own coin. This is the best solution for the project to go according to plan and without any risk.

It just seems like such an obvious solution to all the problems everywhere I don't get why the practice is not more widespread. No more telegram chat flooding or fear of bounty dumps, and no need to delay bounty payouts out of fear of said dumps.
I really do not know why as well and the earlier they find something to do about it, we may have to start seeing the era of ICOs going and every project will just have to hit the exchange first and any investor who cares will go there to make a purchase. It is becoming unbearable and I really do not know why bounty hunters do that, when of course, they should wait for the token value to increase. Well, they are always there looking for the quick profit anyway.
Zendalet

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 05:07:08 PM

Ideas:

- smart contracts that lock up the collected Ether and releases a portion of the Ether at predetermined intervals, when reaching milestones (but how do you link real-world milestones to a digital contract?) or by community DAO mandate

- selling a smaller portion of the total amount of tokens, so that the issuing team has a bigger stake in the success of the token

- a variation of the lock-up idea: divide the ICO in phases and sell tokens when a new phase is reached, which could be after a predetermined amount of time, reaching a milestone or when approved by a DAO, for example when running out of money (but how do you monitor and control expenditure?)

The more I think about it the more my ideas start looking like shares with voting rights.
VPoro

Activity: 201

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 05:29:15 AM

your idea is very exactly. I have joined some ICO projects and i realized that there are rarely investors invest in ICO now because they usually wait the falling down of tokens price when ICO finishes.  I think this is the most suitable time for the change. If not, ICO will be died.

iBid     ▐     Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain    (    About us    Telegram   )
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬             AN  AUCTION    ❱   All auctions start at     $0

[  ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store  ]   ██ SIGN UP ██        with no minimum reserve
AIRDROPSQUAD

Activity: 252

PLAYHALL - SKILL GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 10:48:10 AM

If i am not mistaken the only token ICO that did this is Oyster Token. The developer prefer to pay in Ethereum rather than token because he believes that his coin has a better value only to be dump by bounty hunters. Now the coin jump in unexpected high and have a stable price.

Do you mean Oyster Pearl (PRL) right? Damn! I miss that train. I heard that ICO was succeeded.
I agree with OP thought. Sometimes, paid by the token is stressful if the project becomes failed like PINDIFYtoday.

kaito.

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 03:48:56 PM

that was right, ICO project should pay their bounty participant with ETH or BTC that they raised rather than the token itself, if this system not implemented and ICO keep paying bounty participant with their selling token i'm sure smart investor would eventualy lost interest in ICO.
bummm

Activity: 630

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 02:12:50 PM

I agree with you. Previously, there were many projects that paid bounty hunters ETH or BTC instead of tokens. Now many organizers try to deceive bounty hunters with a reward and even professional coders offer to work for tokens.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: