Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:06:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacker returns $17M worth of stolen Ethereum  (Read 425 times)
vintages (OP)

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 07:03:53 AM

I saw on a news here; http://bitcoinist.com/hacker-returns-17m-worth-of-stolen-ethereum/#  how a hacker returned $17m worth of Ethereum which was stolen from CoinDash (a tool aiming to help users manage, track and analyze their crypto assets).
I have been thinking what moved him to return the coins because he wasn't tracked for the Ethereum he stole.
Guys, what's your take on this? What do you think that stirred his emotions to return the coins? Probably this could be used on other hackers to return stolen coins too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
preshpr1nce

Activity: 266
Merit: 60

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:38:03 AM

I saw on a news here; http://bitcoinist.com/hacker-returns-17m-worth-of-stolen-ethereum/#  how a hacker returned $17m worth of Ethereum which was stolen from CoinDash (a tool aiming to help users manage, track and analyze their crypto assets).
I have been thinking what moved him to return the coins because he wasn't tracked for the Ethereum he stole.
Guys, what's your take on this? What do you think that stirred his emotions to return the coins? Probably this could be used on other hackers to return stolen coins too.

Perhaps a good hacker trying to prove a vulnerability in the system?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 06:45:35 PM

-snip-

They would have acted differently to begin with. You dont have to steal all the coins in order to proof a vulnerability.

-snip-

Maybe there was undisclosed pressure on the attcker. Maybe they realised that its more difficult to safely redeem the coins than they had imagined.
akishang

Activity: 434
Merit: 18

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:41:04 AM

I think he doesn't have a way to use all the money he stole. Hopefully all the money will go back to its original owner, not into someone's pocket. That hacker woke up one day convince to the right thing. He did the right thing. Dirty money will always haunt you on your sleep. It's not easy to do this stuff and he worked for it as well but the way he does it is not right. His conscience prevails. This only shows that there is a goodness in everyone's heart. Able to find courage despite the temptation is a good deed. BTW, will he still go to jail if he got caught?
Ashimwe

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 05:12:48 AM

Maybe he wanted to show them that their security system is weak
bryan21

Activity: 75
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 05:55:34 AM

I think he is confused how to used it, or he realize that wrong actions. I appreciate that he can do that.
It's not easy to do, but I believe he will do better than this. Fight for your family, do it better, do for your job and enjoy your job!
vintages (OP)

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:04:45 AM

I wish it was it, probably the world would have been a better place.

Maybe there was undisclosed pressure on the attcker.

This was my initial thought but CoinDash never disclosed they pressured the hacker.
BTW, will he still go to jail if he got caught?
This I can't be sure of but I hopes he won't be jailed. He/she returned the coins, so what's the need of going to jail for. The court may probably ask the hacker to pay fine for damages that he/she might have caused when the coins was stolen.

Maybe he wanted to show them that their security system is weak
I doubt this; he/she actually created a duplicate site and stole the coin of investors who didn't know they were in the wrong site.
I appreciate that he can do that.
Exactly. don't know whatever made him/her to do it but I wish all hackers could emulate too.
green547

Activity: 385
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 06:27:51 PM

Not everyone is motivated by money, Some people just like to hack for the challenge and thrill of it.  Once you have a few million (or enough to fulfill basic needs) having more money won't really bring you anymore happiness. There are lots of studies on this by the way.
SoliDCoiNs

Activity: 104
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 08:33:09 AM

One way of looking at this is that he is a white hat hacker. Another way of thinking is that is some kind of a marketing stunt either for a hacker or either for CoinDash. Whatever it is, I believe that crypto world is a better place than the current financial system overall and that people get rich quick, but also are giving back is a beautiful thing IMO. Of course, it's not all pretty pretty and fair world, the scam rate is probably over the top right now and the ponzi schemes are absolutely real. There are too little regulations as of now and that makes crypto world have extremity on both ends.
fabioganga

Activity: 478
Merit: 113

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 01:25:36 PM

I saw on a news here; http://bitcoinist.com/hacker-returns-17m-worth-of-stolen-ethereum/#  how a hacker returned $17m worth of Ethereum which was stolen from CoinDash (a tool aiming to help users manage, track and analyze their crypto assets).

I would like to believe that some people still have a conscience after all, and that is why they have returned what was stolen. I don't think that there is any proven system that could be extended to any hacking to get your money back, it could be just as simple as a man dealing with a conscience that was bothering more than what he could cope with.
lelou

Activity: 574
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 02:38:26 PM

For a skilled hacker like him/her/them, money isn't a problem. Sometimes it's not about the money, it's all about sending message.
Neurocrypt

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 06:18:33 AM

He did the right thing by being honest returning that huge amount of morning he should be awarded instead of being bashed at.
boybitcoin

Activity: 234

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 12:31:57 AM

I think he/she look for vulnerable spot in that site, or maybe he try to test the security.. or maybe he/she wants to show that all hackers are not bad, whatever reasons that he/she had, the good thing, i mean the important thing is that he/she returned that amount.. i think he/she is a white hat hacker..
ejarales

Activity: 243

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 10:42:39 AM

I saw on a news here; http://bitcoinist.com/hacker-returns-17m-worth-of-stolen-ethereum/#  how a hacker returned $17m worth of Ethereum which was stolen from CoinDash (a tool aiming to help users manage, track and analyze their crypto assets).
Maybe the hacker is that totally bad hacker. Maybe he is just playing around by testing his ability over the security of CoinDash. In fact, having that kind of ability to hack, you can easily earn $17m just by helping big companies on it's cyber security. Bringing back what he stolen only means that he didn't need the money. He just proved himself and warned CoinDash to have more secured system.
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 01:19:12 PM

It could be an inside job, but if it is indeed an anonymous hacker who returned the ETH, then it is certainly an act worthy of praise. Good for him/her. That being said, CoinDash certainly have an ungrateful attitude, especially considering that they've reported the address to the Counter Cyber Terrorist Unit in Israel. Is that how you reward a good deed? I think not. The only message it sends is that you wish to be fcked over harder the next time around. Shame on you.
colvis

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 11:39:25 PM

for me i think he was just testing his hacking skill in one of the exchange and after hitting the exchange he have a change of mind and decide to return the Eth to free his mind from the evil.
francoise

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 02:49:39 AM

Hmmm this is interesting, are they good hackers or simply got caught by someone?
JanEmil

Activity: 2268
Merit: 668

Community management 24/7 for hire

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2018, 09:06:09 AM

His mother found out and hell startet  Grin
genievic23

Activity: 417
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2018, 09:23:28 AM

Good for him, maybe he got his conscience back, it's not everyday we find someone returning back what they stole.  lol maybe his saving his sin  Grin
Rexler

Activity: 616
Merit: 12

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2018, 02:18:22 PM

I don't believe such events can happen. The Coindash team has always been controversial so I'm not surprised that they can coin out such news. I believe the  team stole those funds themselves and they fear the risk of being investigated and getting the funds discovered so they just created a cover story for us ~ "The hacker returns $17M". So funny. Only gullible, unsuspecting community members can fall for that.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: