Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:25:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with BFL FPGA singles now?  (Read 6383 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 07:21:44 PM

They're not completely worthless yet...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/768-896MH-s-BFL-FPGA-Single-Bitcoin-Miner-In-Hand-Ships-Now-/141079903811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d9047e43
zerocode20

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 07:36:09 PM

Probably the people buying have no idea the difference between FPGA/ASIC .......

"That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character."
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8440

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 05:37:07 AM

Let me say, I do not think they are scrap.  They do have a value, it is just pretty low.  They can be used as an FPGA dev platform.  That is why I say I would buy a few for $30 each.  But I will never get that $30 back mining BTC. 
Last I checked they were cryptographically locked to BFL's FPGA images and BFL won't provide the info needed to reprogram them. IIRC they also can't be reprogramed over the USB bus.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:16:11 AM

I sold one of mine last month on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300968030370?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Private auction for 2 more on another forum,$150 each  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
kramble

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 08:17:00 AM

Let me say, I do not think they are scrap.  They do have a value, it is just pretty low.  They can be used as an FPGA dev platform.  That is why I say I would buy a few for $30 each.  But I will never get that $30 back mining BTC. 
Last I checked they were cryptographically locked to BFL's FPGA images and BFL won't provide the info needed to reprogram them. IIRC they also can't be reprogramed over the USB bus.

That's useful info. I was wondering if it might be worth porting my litecoin miner onto them, but I'll stick with the Lancelot and Ztex for now. Its just a hobby project anyway as the return on mining LTC would be minimal at the sort of hash rates I'm achieving (It was a challenge ... lots of people said FPGA couldn't do scrypt, well it can, just not very well Tongue ).

Github https://github.com/kramble BLC BkRaMaRkw3NeyzsZ2zUgXsNLogVVkQ1iPV
Leehoya

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:22:44 AM

Plenty of sha256 alt coins right now. Mine them all!

OleOle

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:43:43 AM

Mine it while selling it online at high price, who know you might be lucky. Smiley

Or maybe even mine with it while selling it online as 'pre-order', then arrange for delivery in two weeks, two months or two years.

Seems to have worked before...  Cheesy

Leehoya

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 09:00:05 AM

Mine it while selling it online at high price, who know you might be lucky. Smiley

Or maybe even mine with it while selling it online as 'pre-order', then arrange for delivery in two weeks, two months or two years.

Seems to have worked before...  Cheesy
I think that guy is from BFL isnt it? Cheesy

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 2242

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:56:47 PM

Interesting side thought: How low could the sale prices on things like this go?

Could the price of 500 erupters drop below that of a 1,500 watt space heater? That might be the minimum price.

C
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:04:13 PM

Interesting side thought: How low could the sale prices on things like this go?

Could the price of 500 erupters drop below that of a 1,500 watt space heater? That might be the minimum price.

C
It definitely could.  Who wants to maintain 500 erupters and all the USB tangle that goes along with it to save $15?
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 10:24:23 PM

That's useful info. I was wondering if it might be worth porting my litecoin miner onto them, but I'll stick with the Lancelot and Ztex for now. Its just a hobby project anyway as the return on mining LTC would be minimal at the sort of hash rates I'm achieving (It was a challenge ... lots of people said FPGA couldn't do scrypt, well it can, just not very well Tongue ).

That can easily be fixed. The crypto keys can be removed with a JTAG.

yep ok ..... the  BFL bit-files will no longer work, but it's not as if you need them.

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 10:35:27 PM

I have the same problem with my FPGAminer x6500's, they're just scraping by still now that the exchange rate has jumped, lol

Vires in numeris
OleOle

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:08:47 AM

Yeah, there's a great tradition of over-priced miners online, no point in fighting history Wink

Worth out what you think it is worth, add 25%, double your anticipated shipping charges then add that to the unit total cost then advertise it as 'free shipping'. Throw in a 'free' usb with drivers and miners plus an 'instruction guide' and away you go Cheesy

I can just hear the buyers now thinking, "Hmm... bitcoin? ...crypto? Sounds interesting... make money in rising and falling markets... I might buy that."

-----

Disclaimer: I have bought overpriced asic miner units on ebay so I know it works  Cheesy

Quix

Activity: 174

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:27:17 AM

Figure out what the real board underneath it is, remove the BFL casing and sell it as whatever FPGA it is. Worth way more that way.
evansearle42

Activity: 366

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 10:45:14 AM

Keep it as a collection and show it to your kids next time Smiley
OleOle

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 12:40:52 PM

The forum member Vesperwillow has this in their signature, maybe worth contacting them?

"ASIC/Scrypt Buyback Program: I will BUY your mining equipment if you're considering selling."

No harm in asking.

Smiley

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 12:41:49 PM

They have two, quite expensive, FPGA chips inside. They could be recovered and used elsewhere.
high110

Activity: 728
Merit: 253

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 01:34:22 PM

Oh man - bitcoin just touched 180...at this rate, I'll have to turn off my miners.  Sell it while you can.

Ironly Cloud mining at CEX has gone up?? was 0.85 per GHs yesterday and now it's .9 per GHS.   Check out the signature.

███
             █████
            ███████
           █████████
          ███████████
         █████████████
        ███████ ███████
       ███████   ███████
      ███████     ███████
     ███████       ███████
    ███████         ███████
   ███████           ███████
  ███████             ███████
 █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
M!RACLE TELE
BRINGING MAGIC
TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
40% Biweekly Rewards
▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬
Traffic from €0.01 worldwide

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
      ██         ██     
        ▀▌     ▐▀       
       ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄      
     ▄█████████████     
   ▄█████████████████▄   
  ██████▄██████▄██████  
 ▐█████████████████████▌
  ██████▀███████▀██████ 
  █████   █████   █████  
  █████████████████████  
  █████████████████    
    ███████████████    
 ▀██▄ ████████████  ▄██▀
      ▀██▀   ▀██▀   
       ▄█       █▄
ANN
Lightpaper
Bounty
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram
kramble

Activity: 384

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 01:47:50 PM

They have two, quite expensive, FPGA chips inside. They could be recovered and used elsewhere.

According to Ngzhang they are EP3SL150F780 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79825.0
Some additional info https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=123155.0

However the bitstream is protected (see http://www.altera.co.uk/literature/wp/wp-01010.pdf) and if BFL used the poly-fuse option rather than battery-backup, the devices may be unusable (I defer to rasorfishsl upthread, but AFAIK poly-fuses are one-time programmable and if the tamper flag is set the devices are junk without the master key).

Github https://github.com/kramble BLC BkRaMaRkw3NeyzsZ2zUgXsNLogVVkQ1iPV
rocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:27:52 PM

Keep it as a collection and show it to your kids next time Smiley

I think this is what I decided to do. Sell it on ebay what probably the best suggestion, but today they go for less than $100 and at that price it would be nice to just hold onto the brick for sentimental purposes. If I had more than 1 though I'd sell the extra's on ebay.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: