Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 10:35:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do i create a hardfork of altcoin?  (Read 142 times)
StableBlock0x (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 07:13:14 PM

I want to change the whole codebase to say litecoin, should i just change the details of the blockchain onto the new codebase and distribute for mass adoption?

Thanks
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 07:19:38 PM

I want to change the whole codebase to say litecoin, should i just change the details of the blockchain onto the new codebase and distribute for mass adoption?

Thanks

Yes. If you want it to be worthless.

I mean you have to add some innovation to get it adopted.
Litecoin: scrypt algorithm instead of sha256
Bitcoin cash: a large programming team dedicated to it. Bitmain and viabtc mine it also with a lot of power!
Bitcoin gold: not a great currency but is claimed to be asic proof.

If you fork without replay protection, people won't use it as much as they could get scammed.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 07:19:49 PM

Thanks
I guess you could indeed just add a new genesis block, and change RPC ports + some other things which i don't know out the top of my head, which can be found by an easy google.

I wouldn't expect anyone to spoonfeed you, a list of some basic things you will need are listed here, https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/30709/detailed-guide-on-how-to-create-a-litecoin-fork-with-pre-mine-instructions

However if you're not doing this for educational purposes, it is probably a waste of time. No one is going to adapt/adopt your shitty litecoin clone, as jackg already stated.

StableBlock0x (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 07:41:35 PM

Thanks
I guess you could indeed just add a new genesis block, and change RPC ports + some other things which i don't know out the top of my head, which can be found by an easy google.

I wouldn't expect anyone to spoonfeed you, a list of some basic things you will need are listed here, https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/30709/detailed-guide-on-how-to-create-a-litecoin-fork-with-pre-mine-instructions

However if you're not doing this for educational purposes, it is probably a waste of time. No one is going to adapt/adopt your shitty litecoin clone, as jackg already stated.

I am asking this just for educational purposes. I'm not planning to launch another shitcoin fork.

You need to change the magic number in the protocol header, otherwise your client might connect to the Litecoin network by accident, wasting bandwidth.
- Can i change this to any random number?

Add a transaction to the UTXDB which is your premine transaction
- Where is the UTXDB?

Knowledge is power and sharing is caring. Would really appreciate some help on this.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 08:31:51 PM

I am asking this just for educational purposes. I'm not planning to launch another shitcoin fork.

You need to change the magic number in the protocol header, otherwise your client might connect to the Litecoin network by accident, wasting bandwidth.

- Where is the UTXDB?

Knowledge is power and sharing is caring. Would really appreciate some help on this.

Not to be condescending but you know testnet exists right? So you can make an extra blockchain separate to the mainnet ones that means you can mine your own block, set your block rewards, award yourself several million testnet litecoins... Sorry, I'm not sure if what you want to do is something that could be done by using the testnet as I'd say this looks like a really difficult task (although maybe it's not a tricky as it sounds)...
yomarve

Activity: 196
Merit: 6

https://cryptotvplus.com

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 08:47:34 PM

I actually thought this guy wants to go after the money and not the value it proposes to to give. But this changed when I saw the body of the thread. Good stuff!!

https://cryptotvplus.com
StableBlock0x (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:38:52 PM

- Where is the UTXDB?

Not to be condescending but you know testnet exists right? So you can make an extra blockchain separate to the mainnet ones that means you can mine your own block, set your block rewards, award yourself several million testnet litecoins... Sorry, I'm not sure if what you want to do is something that could be done by using the testnet as I'd say this looks like a really difficult task (although maybe it's not a tricky as it sounds)...

You don't get my question, i want to say upgrade the current codebase to new, thus create a hard fork but still run the same blockchain.
StableBlock0x (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 02:39:05 PM

Anyone?
andthereyou

Activity: 616
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 02:51:02 PM

Thanks
I think you want to raised millions.  Grin
First find a team because it will be difficult if you work alone. Then "plan your work" and "work your plan". Goodluck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: