Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:27:14 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Payment (if I discover a block) when solo-mining..?  (Read 6885 times)
Itsmeandu (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:22:32 PM

How do I get paid when solo-mining?

I've just started to mine using 'Bitcoin-Qt 0.8.5' & 'GUIMiner 2012-12-03'
Have sucessfully used pool-method and managed to generate som 0.00000123 BTC from this.

Now I'm trying to set up a solo-mining project using 'localhost' and port 8332,
it's running on my pc now.... but I found myself asking this question:

When solo-mining, how do I get paid when I actually haven't entered
any 'MyWallet-info/Bitcoin-adresses' into either of
the two programs I am using (Bitcoin-Qt 0.8.5 & GUIMiner 2012-12-03)

?
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:28:10 PM

First of all, what's your hash rate?

pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:31:27 PM

Pretty sure BitcoinQT does it for you. Your mining program puts a payout address for the reward in the block you found, I assume Bitcoin QT knows the private key since it generates the payout address, so it should be automatically imported.

You better have lots and lots of mining equipment to mine solo. Seeing as how you didn't even make enough to hit most pool's payout threshold I'd say you will never ever find a block mining solo. You are burning electricity for a chance to win ~$3200 bucks. Rather crummy odds, you'd do better buying lottery scratch off tickets.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:39:00 PM

Yes bitcoind will use one of it's addresses in it's pool. 25 BTC + transaction fees will appear in your wallet. But of course you have to find a block first. This is where it gets a little difficult.

Itsmeandu (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:53:17 PM

I've read a lot last few days on pros&cons of pool-mining vs.solo-mining; How soloing could take like "for ever" to discover a block...

My question was triggered in part by reading about 'bfgminer' and one of it's comand line arguments:

--coinbase-addr <arg> Set coinbase payout address for solo mining

But it seems like the answer to my question is what Buffer Overflow writes:

Yes bitcoind will use one of it's addresses in it's pool. 25 BTC + transaction fees will appear in your wallet. But of course you have to find a block first. This is where it gets a little difficult.
zendantom

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:58:21 PM

Have sucessfully used pool-method and managed to generate som 0.00000123 BTC from this.

Seems your hashrate is so low (CPU ?) you will not mine enought BTC at pool to be able to withdraw, so solo mining might be the best choice - or not mining at all  Wink

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 09:02:19 PM

Seems your hashrate is so low (CPU ?) you will not mine enought BTC at pool to be able to withdraw, so solo mining might be the best choice - or not mining at all  Wink

You're not going to get anywhere.
http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/
zendantom

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 09:46:16 PM

What do you mean, there is very small chance of finding a block solo mining with such small hashrate, I know it

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 09:47:12 PM

Seems your hashrate is so low (CPU ?) you will not mine enought BTC at pool to be able to withdraw, so solo mining might be the best choice

^^This is bad advice.^^

- or not mining at all  Wink

^^This is better advice.^^
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 09:49:31 PM

--coinbase-addr <arg> Set coinbase payout address for solo mining

Yes, you can alternatively use this option to specify an reward address.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 09:51:10 PM

What do you mean, there is very small chance of finding a block solo mining with such small hashrate, I know it

Hash for hash, you have the same chance of finding a block as anybody else.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 09:56:18 PM

My best guess is that he means that if you ever do get lucky enough to mine a block, you will very likely have spent far more than 25 BTC worth of electricity to do so.  In other words it would be much cheaper and much faster to simply buy the bitcoin now with cash than to spend all that cash on electricity in a Captain Ahab effort of mining.  If the current mean time between solving a block is 55,000 years, then the odds are pretty darn good that you aren't going to find a block before the block reward gets cut in half again in about 3 years.
lambdaE

Activity: 251

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 10:03:42 PM

My best guess is that he means that if you ever do get lucky enough to mine a block, you will very likely have spent far more than 25 BTC worth of electricity to do so.  In other words it would be much cheaper and much faster to simply buy the bitcoin now with cash than to spend all that cash on electricity in a Captain Ahab effort of mining.  If the current mean time between solving a block is 55,000 years, then the odds are pretty darn good that you aren't going to find a block before the block reward gets cut in half again in about 3 years.

This. I never understood why people wasting money on Lottery tickets. They would be better to save these money for future and their childrens
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 10:14:42 PM

Seems your hashrate is so low (CPU ?) you will not mine enought BTC at pool to be able to withdraw, so solo mining might be the best choice - or not mining at all  Wink

Hash for hash?  Sure.

The problem is when everybody else is generating a billion hashes for every hash that you generate.  Since they are generating 144 blocks per day, that means that you have the same chance to generate 144 blocks every billion days (or 1 block every 7 million days).
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 10:27:42 PM

Seems your hashrate is so low (CPU ?) you will not mine enought BTC at pool to be able to withdraw, so solo mining might be the best choice - or not mining at all  Wink

Hash for hash?  Sure.

The problem is when everybody else is generating a billion hashes for every hash that you generate.  Since they are generating 144 blocks per day, that means that you have the same chance to generate 144 blocks every billion days (or 1 block every 7 million days).

Well there is that little problem I didn't mention.

theokep

Activity: 43

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:09:40 PM

You are not going to find a block all by your lonesome Sad. Unless you have a couple of Thash that is. Barring that I would recommend that you continue to pool mine on BTCGuild or something like that. However, if you are using GPUs to mine BTC then I would recommend that you mine some alts such as LTC because that will make more than BTC right now
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:43:50 AM

I found a block when it should have taken me over 300 days, so it is possible.

I just got a new miner running, and was at it for around a month. When I found the block diff was around 21 million  Grin

Of course I could occasionally break into BTCguild's top 10 on the USA team with my total hashrate back then, those were good days...

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 06:40:30 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2013, 06:55:33 AM by odolvlobo

Somebody wins the lottery, so it is possible to win, but that doesn't make it a worthwhile investment. Just because you won the bitcoin lottery, doesn't mean that I am likely to win.

Anyway, the amount you earn from mining in a pool is expected to be about the same amount that you will earn mining solo. It is a mistake to believe that if you earn 0.00000123 mining in a pool, that you can earn more mining solo.

The fact is that if you mine 0.00000123 BTC in a day, then the chance of finding a block each day is 0.00000123/25, or about 1 in 20 million. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
wirabhumi

Activity: 16

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:41:30 AM

Somebody wins the lottery, so it is possible to win, but that doesn't make it a worthwhile investment. Just because you won the bitcoin lottery, doesn't mean that I am likely to win.

Anyway, the amount you earn from mining in a pool is expected to be about the same amount that you will earn mining solo. It is a mistake to believe that if you earn 0.00000123 mining in a pool, that you can earn more mining solo.

The fact is that if you mine 0.00000123 BTC in a day, then the chance of finding a block each day is 0.00000123/25, or about 1 in 20 million. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Seems like finding a bug, in the jungle.
Too small chance
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 01:05:25 PM

I found a block when it should have taken me over 300 days,

So your chances of finding a block were about 1 in 43,200

was at it for around a month. When I found the block

So you had about 4,464 trials at a chance of 1 in 43,200 for each trial
In other words the chance was about 1 in 10.186

The fact is that if you mine 0.00000123 BTC in a day, then the chance of finding a block each day is 0.00000123/25, or about 1 in 20 million.

The OP's chances of solving any particular block are 1 in 20 million.

so it is possible.

Sure, but there is a big difference between 1 in 43,000 and 1 in 20,000,000.  And that's if the OP had only been running for 1 day to get the 0.00000123 BTC.  If it took them several days, then their chances are even worse.

I haven't tried the math, but intuitively I'm not sure this is true.  Pool mining pays out based on the current block reward.  So you get a small percentage of at least 25 BTC for every block you participate in during the next three years.  Meanwhile, if your odds of finding a block while solo mining are really bad, then there is a decent chance that you won't find a block until after the reward as dropped a few times.  Therefore, for the next 3 yeaars, you'd be expending electricity at a level that is supported by a reward of at least 25 BTC for a solved block, but the actual reward you receive when you finally solve a block a few years from now may only be 12.5 BTC.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: