Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:05:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is mining worth it?  (Read 242 times)
matthewoz101 (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 09:38:25 PM

I've only mined a couple coins using a gaming laptop. I'm still interested in mining though.

Is the Antminer s9 still worth the money? I live in the US and the price of electricity is average. I don't have the fiat because of the bearish market at the moment. Things are starting to turn green for Bitcoin, so I was wondering if the Antminer s9 was still worth it.

I've read that the block difficulty of Bitcoin was going to increase, but I see that there are other minable coins that would give equal or better profit than bitcoin.

I'm also considering buying a gaming PC and get a GTX 1080 or 1070 to mine when I'm not using it. And then add more cards overtime. Not sure how long until the price of graphic cards will go down. My other thought about mining with graphic cards instead of the Antminer s9 is, can't you premine new coins when they come out and accumulate tons?

I'm still new to all of this mining stuff, but have been trading cryptos for about a year now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bucc5207

Activity: 29
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:13:24 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3045461.0
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 03:37:20 PM

I've only mined a couple coins using a gaming laptop. I'm still interested in mining though.

Is the Antminer s9 still worth the money? I live in the US and the price of electricity is average. I don't have the fiat because of the bearish market at the moment. Things are starting to turn green for Bitcoin, so I was wondering if the Antminer s9 was still worth it.

I think you can forget about mining bitcoin, unless you have serious money for investment. You can check out specs of Antminer s9 and calculate if it would pay out in your case.

I've read that the block difficulty of Bitcoin was going to increase, but I see that there are other minable coins that would give equal or better profit than bitcoin.

I'm also considering buying a gaming PC and get a GTX 1080 or 1070 to mine when I'm not using it. And then add more cards overtime. Not sure how long until the price of graphic cards will go down. My other thought about mining with graphic cards instead of the Antminer s9 is, can't you premine new coins when they come out and accumulate tons?

I'm still new to all of this mining stuff, but have been trading cryptos for about a year now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Smiley

Some people would not suggest GPU mining, but its still profitable for some. I have GTX 1070 and I'm using Nicehash miner. At the moment from equihash algorithm I get around 0.00015079 BTC ($1,72) per day. Which is not that bad, because electricity cost in my country is low. Also you can check out Coinwarz, and see which coin is most profitable to mine.
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:34:01 PM

I think you can forget about mining bitcoin, unless you have serious money for investment. You can check out specs of Antminer s9 and calculate if it would pay out in your case.

Some people would not suggest GPU mining, but its still profitable for some. I have GTX 1070 and I'm using Nicehash miner. At the moment from equihash algorithm I get around 0.00015079 BTC ($1,72) per day. Which is not that bad, because electricity cost in my country is low. Also you can check out Coinwarz, and see which coin is most profitable to mine.

Thanks for the response. I've decided that I will build a gaming PC and maybe add some extra graphic cards on. The prices are crazy for most graphic cards at the moment.

Do you have any experience with premining new alt coins? Or have you only used equihash?
Eternu

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 12:28:31 AM

Thanks for the response. I've decided that I will build a gaming PC and maybe add some extra graphic cards on. The prices are crazy for most graphic cards at the moment.

Do you have any experience with premining new alt coins? Or have you only used equihash?

Never tried premining before, but now when I think about it... maybe I'll try it in near future.
As far as algorithms are concerned... no I don't use equihash only. Nicehash miner gives you possibility to chose between several algorithms which you can mine. It also picks the most profitable from your list in that moment. It is not hard to use, so you can check it out if you want, just google it. Sry I won't put link, not sure if it would be seen as advertising.
Hope this helps you, and best of luck in the future.
Keelhaul

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 12:38:36 AM

Way more than it was two years ago when I started.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 03:22:06 AM

You can use the old board (the cheapest one) instead of gaming board if you plan on mining. One of my Rig use old Gigabyte board (M2+ Socket) with 5 PCIe, bought that around $17. Trust me, didn't give any difference with Asrock H81 Pro BTC (I have this board also).

Jocelyn Hernandez

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 05:40:07 AM

I never tried mining before. Could someone suggest me some tools or anything that helps? Is this a freehand way to get btc at home?  I really want to know about this and now started studying around already.
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 05:59:38 AM

Pos coins are good to mining.
Eternu

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 06:13:57 AM

I never tried mining before. Could someone suggest me some tools or anything that helps? Is this a freehand way to get btc at home?  I really want to know about this and now started studying around already.

Than you already know what mining is. As for tools, you can try out what I said before in this topic. Also there are other mining programs, some of them mine only specific algorithm. It will not be hard to find out which software is for which coin.
Calculate your profitability carefully,  because you dont want your time and resources wasted.
chandrarahmadewa

Merit: 49

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 06:21:28 AM

Define in advance the hardware you want to use for mining. There are four choices namely
1. Smartphone android or apple. (I do not recommend this tool)
2. CPU using PC power processor. (I do not recommend this tool)
3. GPU using VGA card power
4. ASIC.
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:33:11 PM

You can use the old board (the cheapest one) instead of gaming board if you plan on mining. One of my Rig use old Gigabyte board (M2+ Socket) with 5 PCIe, bought that around $17. Trust me, didn't give any difference with Asrock H81 Pro BTC (I have this board also).

Thanks for sharing. I'll be taking that route then. Just have to wait for decent graphic cards prices and a bull market.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: