Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:27:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What To Mine Today with R9 290  (Read 282 times)
ChrisRipp (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:14:04 PM

Hello Community, this si my first post here, and i would like to hear some advices...

The thing is that i have gaming Desktop with an ASUS R9 290 GPU and would like to use it for mining, buti dont know wich one will be more profitable to mine today, i have been readling and looks like Monero is the best choice, also Lite Coin or Ethereum (well not much profitable today with a single GPU right ? )

Another queston is how do i know the hashing power of my GPU ?

Thanks in adavance for your reply.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:30:36 PM

There are a couple of threads already addressing this, one of them can be found here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1978901.0 , I read through that thread and found it pretty helpful. I don't personally mine with this card, but from what it sounds like there has been many suggestions to mine ETH with this card about 6-months ago. Things may have changed within this time, so I am unsure if this is still the case. It also seems to be the case that your particular card is power-hungry, so if your electricity cost is not low then this card will eat a lot of the profit.

You will need to benchmark the card on different algorithms in order to find out what hashing rate you will be getting. You could try looking up benchmarks for your card, but I've always had a frustrating time trying to do that effectively.

You could use something like NiceHash , which compares a few different algorithms/coins and benchmarks your card for each of them to determine at any given moment which would be the most profitable for you to run.
ChrisRipp (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:46:45 PM

Thanks for your reply, yeah i heard the same thing about ETH, thats profitable sometime ago, another thing i forgot to mention is that Electrcity Cost is not a problem, where im from it's very very very cheap! i'll take a look on the lonk you posted
Viecoin

Activity: 852
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 11:00:43 PM

This is an old card but still good to mine ETH especially with the 4 GB you might be good for a few months. I used to have four of these cards with EK water blocks and I loved them. I got over 30 mh/s per card but that was a couple years ago so not sure what it does now. Also there are other ETHash based coins that you can mine.
EthanB

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 11:32:31 PM

yeah i heard the same thing about ETH, thats profitable sometime ago

It is good to regularly run benchmark assessments on your miners, running them through various algorithms as that is the only real way as far as I know to get a realistic view on your hashrates for various coins. Otherwise, you might be good just sticking to what you know and mine ETH as long as it is profitable.

i forgot to mention is that Electrcity Cost is not a problem, where im from it's very very very cheap!

I would love to know how you managed to make electricity cost not a problem. Are you from a unique country, or are you siphoning your parents/neighbors energy bill?

i'll take a look on the lonk you posted

I don't know what a "lonk" is, but if you're talking about that thread then I would encourage you read a lot more than just that. Whenever I am curious about something around here, I don't normally even create a thread, because I use the search function and realize there is more than enough information to answer my question.

How much use have your cards seen, when were they originally bought?
ChrisRipp (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 12:28:21 AM

yeah i heard the same thing about ETH, thats profitable sometime ago

It is good to regularly run benchmark assessments on your miners, running them through various algorithms as that is the only real way as far as I know to get a realistic view on your hashrates for various coins. Otherwise, you might be good just sticking to what you know and mine ETH as long as it is profitable.

i forgot to mention is that Electrcity Cost is not a problem, where im from it's very very very cheap!

I would love to know how you managed to make electricity cost not a problem. Are you from a unique country, or are you siphoning your parents/neighbors energy bill?

i'll take a look on the lonk you posted

I don't know what a "lonk" is, but if you're talking about that thread then I would encourage you read a lot more than just that. Whenever I am curious about something around here, I don't normally even create a thread, because I use the search function and realize there is more than enough information to answer my question.

How much use have your cards seen, when were they originally bought?

Well the Electricity cost is not a problm because i'm from venezuela.

Yeah i ment "link"! was a mistake, i have been reading a little about all this, however im still begginer.

The card was bought in december 2014, have been used only for gaming, and not too much to be honest.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 01:49:36 AM

My rig consists of 5 R9 290s. They are real beasts for Ethash and Cryptonight algorithms. The only problem is the amount of power they use up, other than that a great cards! Smiley

jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:05:35 AM
Merited by antantti (1)

One of my rigs, fully R9 series (290,290x,295x2), I always like to tell more details about this rig, here it is:
XFX 295X2 (1 card but Dual-GPU)
Sapphire 290 (1 Card)
MSI 290 (1 Card)
MSI 290X (1 Card)
Asus 290 (1 Card)
Asus 290 Reference (1 Card)

And that is my first GPU Rig and still giving me profits till now. This rig mine Eth with 30-31 Mhs for each Card, except 295X2 it's 61-62 Mhs (since this is dual-GPU Cards).

I suggest Ethash, Equihash, or NeoScrypt maybe with R9 series, but better do your own research. Pay more attention with cards temperature.
EthanB

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 06:45:34 AM

Yeah i ment "link"! was a mistake, i have been reading a little about all this, however im still begginer.

The card was bought in december 2014, have been used only for gaming, and not too much to be honest.

I'm unaware of the situation in Venezuela. Are your utilities provided by the government or something similar to that? I don't know very much myself, but I know enough to get people off the ground and running for the most part. That's a pretty old card in terms of mining, so I wouldn't expect a terrible amount of power to come from it, but like you said it has been lightly used so I would expect it to do something. Seems like people still use these cards, normally in groups, but nonetheless they seem to be profitable to some degree and holding up reasonably well over the years.

I have also heard of people having success with ZEC, Equihash or NeoScrypt.

I know you meant link, I was just messing around.   Grin
velillen

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 06:49:30 AM

Ive got 3 R9 290's mining away (and 2 R9 390's)

Eth youll get 29-31Mh/s Cryptonight is 850-900h/s

Still decently profitable. Youll just take a hit on the power cost side

You can use whattomine to see and just change poweruage. I use the 570 usually inplace of the 290/390 (its hashrates are a bit lower than a 290 but better to under estimate than over estimate). Then in the powerusage just change it to your actual powerusage (I just default to 300W)
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 12:09:56 PM

mining on ETH or ETC but be careful with power consumption is hungry or you can try to mine an ETN coin. compare you profit between ETH or ETC or ETN after electricity bill and then conclude, which is more profit.

ChrisRipp (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:09:30 AM

I'm unaware of the situation in Venezuela. Are your utilities provided by the government or something similar to that? I don't know very much myself, but I know enough to get people off the ground and running for the most part. That's a pretty old card in terms of mining, so I wouldn't expect a terrible amount of power to come from it, but like you said it has been lightly used so I would expect it to do something. Seems like people still use these cards, normally in groups, but nonetheless they seem to be profitable to some degree and holding up reasonably well over the years.

I have also heard of people having success with ZEC, Equihash or NeoScrypt.

I know you meant link, I was just messing around.   Grin

Lol, well to explain whats going here will take awhile... this is total disaster, but to make the story short, utilities are subsidized by the government and of course by doing that means they service is total crap (constant outage) another thing is currency, we dont have free access international currency and of course by doing that you have to go to black market and the price are ridiculous (2USD can be the monthly salary of one person) so, even with this old card if i earn at least nearly 30 USD a month, that would be a lot, considering that electricity cost for mining that wont be near to 1 USD.

By reading other comments, yes looks like people still uses it, of course with more than 1 card, i'll give a try then!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: