Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:42:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How bitcoin get info of connection to peers?  (Read 173 times)
wsxdrfv (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 06:21:24 AM

So bitcoin core first start, it need to know ip address of peers to connect to.

Where from those info?

I saw chainparams.cpp has variable like vSeeds.emplace_back("dnsseed.bitcoin.....com", true);

Then bitcoin client first try to access to above address, then fetch nearest peer's ip address from above site?

Then, developer should wrote down ip address (something like 133.344.67.22) to above site before?

or, How it works?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 01:12:39 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

They are called DNS Seeds And they are hard coded into the client to help nodes bootstrap.
Basically they are IP addresses of bitcoin nodes run by Bitcoin community members and they assist in peer discovery since new nodes on the network don't know which addresses to connect to.
wsxdrfv (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 03:23:18 PM

They are called DNS Seeds And they are hard coded into the client to help nodes bootstrap.
Basically they are IP addresses of bitcoin nodes run by Bitcoin community members and they assist in peer discovery since new nodes on the network don't know which addresses to connect to.
Are there no way to start ./bitcoind  without connect to other peer? I just want to test source revision and function test without connect to peers.
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:46:32 PM

Yes agree and once they have a list of nodes then DNS look-ups are dropped the next time the node starts up but this is not really centralization
and is a case of using selective trust and more of this should be encouraged within Bitcoin where it is not a threat to security.

I am working on node discovery that will scale to something like a billion nodes (Yes with a 'B') and I am coming to the conclusion that
this cannot be done in a decentralized system because even if we used sub-domains based on the public-key and each node held a five million
lookup's then in the end network chatter would kill the network.

Just now I am looking to see if DAG has something worth pinching that will help solve the problem but i am not hopeful

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
jrian

Activity: 39
Merit: 6

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 12:39:12 PM

Are there no way to start ./bitcoind  without connect to other peer? I just want to test source revision and function test without connect to peers.

try to run bitcoind with  -connect=0

Code:
  -connect=<ip>
       Connect only to the specified node(s); -connect=0 disables automatic
       connections (the rules for this peer are the same as for
       -addnode)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: