Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:17:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help: Whats the best way to get BTC for Dollars in NYC  (Read 141 times)
DonEdison (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 07:37:40 AM

Hey guys,

i am new here and have the following question (mods feel free to move if this is the section):

My sister owns me money (6k $) and lives in NYC. I want the money in BTC and live in europe. What is the best, safe and cheapest option for her sending me btc?  We created a wallet at coinbase but cb want except transaction from her Citi-Bank account!

Any suggestions would be great as i am not very familiar how to get btc in the states!

Tahnks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 12:54:27 AM

Don't use Coinbase as a wallet service. When looking for a bitcoin wallet, ALWAYS go with a wallet that allows you to hold onto and keep your own private keys.

For a hot wallet, I personally use GreenAddress (https://greenaddress.it/en/), as it is a SegWit-enabled wallet. This just means cheaper fees because of reduced transaction sizes. And it's fairly easy to set up and use on any device that you own. Just make sure to document and store your private key. If you lose it, you'll be shit out of luck when it comes to recovery.

Feel free to PM me or post here if you have any additional questions.

warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 02:00:33 AM

Are you sure it’s your sister and not someone else you want to “sell” something to? Just keeping an open mind about potential scenarios. Scammers often ask for advice to make it easier for them to explore options if for example their victims live in places where buying bitcoins is very restrictive such as New York. To make it easier to get that advice they will often say things like it’s someone in the family, a friend, brother etc who owes money.

If she is your sister, she can wire you the money or send it by Western Union or Moneygram. And if I assumed wrongly, then I apologize. I’m just being open minded about this because the last thing i would like to see happen is for scammers to get all the help they need to fleece victims.

If the story is as you posted above, you can help your sister create a wallet, preferably one with private keys under her or your control. She can then buy coins from one of Coinsource’s ATMs. Or she can search for advertisers on Localbitcoins trading in NJ or CT.

It would be easier for her to wire you the money and you buy the coins in Europe or on an exchange.

DonEdison (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 11:40:30 AM

Don't use Coinbase as a wallet service. When looking for a bitcoin wallet, ALWAYS go with a wallet that allows you to hold onto and keep your own private keys.

For a hot wallet, I personally use GreenAddress (https://greenaddress.it/en/), as it is a SegWit-enabled wallet. This just means cheaper fees because of reduced transaction sizes. And it's fairly easy to set up and use on any device that you own. Just make sure to document and store your private key. If you lose it, you'll be shit out of luck when it comes to recovery.

Feel free to PM me or post here if you have any additional questions.

ty sir! do you know if greenaddress accepts citi-bank tranactions? as we had some issues via coinbase!

thx a lot again!
DonEdison (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 11:47:38 AM

Are you sure it’s your sister and not someone else you want to “sell” something to? Just keeping an open mind about potential scenarios. Scammers often ask for advice to make it easier for them to explore options if for example their victims live in places where buying bitcoins is very restrictive such as New York. To make it easier to get that advice they will often say things like it’s someone in the family, a friend, brother etc who owes money.

If she is your sister, she can wire you the money or send it by Western Union or Moneygram. And if I assumed wrongly, then I apologize. I’m just being open minded about this because the last thing i would like to see happen is for scammers to get all the help they need to fleece victims.

If the story is as you posted above, you can help your sister create a wallet, preferably one with private keys under her or your control. She can then buy coins from one of Coinsource’s ATMs. Or she can search for advertisers on Localbitcoins trading in NJ or CT.

It would be easier for her to wire you the money and you buy the coins in Europe or on an exchange.

i think you skepticism is fine and you just want to protect the forum-members but i really need it is real my sister and i am just asking for basic infos as its kind of hard to goolge this kind of stuff from europe ... i will check out some different wallets and maby you are right, and just getting the money from normal bank transfer and then buying btc in europe is the best option!?!

btw, how does localbitcoins exactly work and is it safe?

all others, feel free to give other infos!

thx.
BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2018, 05:55:03 PM

i think you skepticism is fine and you just want to protect the forum-members but i really need it is real my sister and i am just asking for basic infos as its kind of hard to goolge this kind of stuff from europe ... i will check out some different wallets and maby you are right, and just getting the money from normal bank transfer and then buying btc in europe is the best option!?!

btw, how does localbitcoins exactly work and is it safe?

all others, feel free to give other infos!

thx.

If you’ll be dealing with digital payments for your bitcoin via LocalBitcoins, I highly suggest you research it carefully. I wrote the following thread regarding this issue, so give it a read (click on the quote title to view the thread in its entirety):

There is definitely a new wave of scammers and hackers on www.LocalBitcoins.com, and while I'm savvy when it comes to selling my Bitcoin, I am reluctantly (and shamefully) posting this to help others protect themselves from what I've gone through.

The last three transactions that I've conducted on LBC for digital trades (PayPal) have all had their payments reversed. The hackers/scammers are getting extremely creative, and starting to mimic the actions and character of authentic great traders...

With that said, if you don't feel like reading the rest of this post, take this away from it: TAKE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN SELLING YOUR BITCOIN FOR PAYPAL. In fact, consider not selling your Bitcoin for PayPal at all.

So with that, here is a quote of some advice I gave to another user; I thought it could help protect you. Yes, most of it is just common sense, but reminders could prove to be helpful. Don't let that trade request for someone buying bitcoin at 20% above market price cloud your judgment!

If you have any more questions outside of what I've posted below, feel free to post here or send me a private message.

I've had successful transfers, and I've had fraudulent transfers where the payments were reversed on my payment processing accounts.

Be extremely cautious when dealing with Bitcoin buyers via PayPal. I used to think that the payment was safe if sending as "Friends or Family" via PayPal, but I had a payment that was reversed because the PayPal account that was used to send me the funds for the Bitcoin I sold ended up being hacked. I actually had a conversation with the owner of the account (the hacker didn't have access to his mark's email address), and the dude got screwed for tens of thousands of dollars because of the PayPal hack.

LocalBitcoins.com is best for face-to-face meetups. Be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS when dealing with digital transfers or bank wires. Make sure to ask for documentation for EVERYTHING, and look out for the following things (as a seller):

• 1. If the buyer is a new account, insist that they send you documentation to prove their identity and that they are who they say they are.
  • 2. If the buyer's account is verified, look through their feedback history to ensure that there are not any large gaps in between trades. If there are gaps, this could indicate that the buyer's account was purchased from the original owner (who may not have a need for their account any longer)
  • 3. Check their feedback history and sort it by "Negative" feedback. If any of the recent negative feedback pertains to a digital payment of any kind, avoid the trade at all costs, no matter how much above market price they are offering.
  • 4. Ask the buyer to provide you with their PayPal address, and that you will send them an invoice to that address for the amount that you've entered the trade for.
  • 5. Instruct the buyer to answer an email that you send to that address, or to send you an email from the email address of their PayPal account.
  • 6. Google the email address and see what pops up. If anything looks fishy, then avoid the trade. (example: the last time I initiated a trade with someone on LBC, the email address showed results for a 79-year old farmer from Georgia. Chances are that 79-year old farmers don't know anything about cryptocurrency...

I know that this sounds tedious, but trust me; it will help protect you in the end. Even if your trade is only for $100 or less, it would suck to be charged back or have a payment reversed for that $100... Protect yourself when dealing with digital payment options on LocalBitcoins.com

Additional tips from other members:

NEVER RELEASE BITCOINS FROM THE ESCROW BEFORE YOU RECEIVE YOUR PAYMENT.

Some traders will have what looks like a solid reputation: thousand over trades, huge volumes and great feedback. And they use that to try and bully you into releasing escrow right after they mark payment as complete. Do not ever do this. They might say "lol I trade for 5 years and people have no problems to do this" or try and make it seem they don't need your business but don't ever release escrow until you confirm payment. I have run into a few such people, and at least once I've come back across the same name, accused of never sending payment.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: