Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:37:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Namecoins is now 2x more profitable than Bitcoins  (Read 55237 times)
forexmasterja

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 02:07:14 PM

at what block number will namecoin change the next difficulty ? and what is the next difficulty estimate ?? And is there a site to monitor this stuff like something similar to www.bitcoinwatch.com ?

--** First Jamaican Bitcoin User **--
1JamaicaYQvsBkvm5JcurQBA9Kz969nsqe
Revolutionary Money Making Cloud Miner - https://cex.io/r/0/forexmasterja/0/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:08:00 PM

at what block number will namecoin change the next difficulty ? and what is the next difficulty estimate ?? And is there a site to monitor this stuff like something similar to www.bitcoinwatch.com ?

http://dot-bit.org/tools/nextDifficulty.php has the answers you seek.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:08:31 PM

It will never again be so easy to mine Namecoins as it is now... So I guess keeping them is the best thing to do... I even bought 455 NC as an investment...
Hopefully before the difficulty came down.

Seriously, some miners REALLY need to brush up their math here:
If you want NMC:
If the price is HIGHER than the ratio of BTC/NMC difficulty, mine NMC.
If the price is LOWER than the ratio of BTC/NMC difficulty, mine BTC and buy NMC.

If you want BTC, it's the other way 'round.

Unless you really need a big chunk of NMC right now because you want to speculate on prices, there's no point in buying NMC right now, that it's cheaper to mine them than BTC.

If you want many miners in NMC:
Buy NMC at a rate that is slightly higher than the BTC/NMC difficulty, to provide arbitrage opportunity for opportunistic miners. This can even create bubbles like the one right now (where people speculate that the price will go up even more, so they pay nearly double the "calculated" price) that gain momentum on itself.
Mining NMC all the time "to save NMC" is plainly stupid and will not help the system at all, it just creates these 2 months/2 days swings that might get more and more extreme over time.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
pennytrader

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:28:10 PM

It will never again be so easy to mine Namecoins as it is now... So I guess keeping them is the best thing to do... I even bought 455 NC as an investment...
Hopefully before the difficulty came down.

Seriously, some miners REALLY need to brush up their math here:
If you want NMC:
If the price is HIGHER than the ratio of BTC/NMC difficulty, mine NMC.
If the price is LOWER than the ratio of BTC/NMC difficulty, mine BTC and buy NMC.

If you want BTC, it's the other way 'round.

Unless you really need a big chunk of NMC right now because you want to speculate on prices, there's no point in buying NMC right now, that it's cheaper to mine them than BTC.

If you want many miners in NMC:
Buy NMC at a rate that is slightly higher than the BTC/NMC difficulty, to provide arbitrage opportunity for opportunistic miners. This can even create bubbles like the one right now (where people speculate that the price will go up even more, so they pay nearly double the "calculated" price) that gain momentum on itself.
Mining NMC all the time "to save NMC" is plainly stupid and will not help the system at all, it just creates these 2 months/2 days swings that might get more and more extreme over time.

Exactly. I'm happy to sell namecoins I mined to speculators who think the price will go up because of lack of demand (and they could be right actually. nobody knows the future).

please donate to 1P3m2resGCP2o2sFX324DP1mfqHgGPA8BL
pbj sammich

Activity: 272

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:32:57 PM

so newb question here...

The difficulty is about to go up in a few hours. I am solo mining, and have been working on my block for hours. When the difficulty goes up will I continue to work on the block I am already working on at the old difficulty or does it instantly jump to the new difficulty? Basically trying to figure out if the difficulty jump and I have not finished the current solo block should I just stop my miners and go back to my bitcoin pool...
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:34:49 PM

The difficulty is about to go up in a few hours. I am solo mining, and have been working on my block for hours. When the difficulty goes up will I continue to work on the block I am already working on at the old difficulty or does it instantly jump to the new difficulty? Basically trying to figure out if the difficulty jump and I have not finished the current solo block should I just stop my miners and go back to my bitcoin pool...
The difficulty goes up on a new block, so yes, your miner will start working at the new difficulty.
pbj sammich

Activity: 272

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:36:49 PM

The difficulty goes up on a new block, so yes, your miner will start working at the new difficulty.

thanks doublec
mastergamer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:33:28 PM

seems like mining namecoins is too high for me.

At first, i dont really understand the system, but that doesnt matter i think.

I try to mine nmc, but iam failing at the early beginning.
i downloaded the .exe file and startet it, but the command line which appears ist only vieable for about 5 sec (black), then it closes itself. I gues this is my first problem?

Then, i createt die namecoin.conf file somewhere in "appdata", iam not sure whether it is right or not, i changed nothing in this file, but i need to fill in my username + password right?
Where can i registrate to get these user datas?

Is there any existing toturial about how to mine/use namecoins?

It's a command line application so if there's any error you won't be able to see it like that.
What you should do is open a command window, usually typing CMD into your Start menu search box and hitting enter would do.

You should get a black console/command window. Then, I would CD to the correct folder but might get complicated, so just type in the full path to your namecoind.exe to run it and see what's the problem.

of curse ive done it this was, i startet the .exe file over windows 7 command line. It happened exactly the same.

So, iam still at the same point as 5 hours ago.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:54:10 PM

Who is selling and who is holding at the moment? I want some speculation trolls in here.

I currently hold 40x more NMC than BTC and thinking about making that gap bigger.
pennytrader

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:09:03 PM

Who is selling and who is holding at the moment? I want some speculation trolls in here.

I currently hold 40x more NMC than BTC and thinking about making that gap bigger.

The question is what's your average cost? Price ratio of NMC/BTC varies drastically over the last 2 months. Even you mine all the coins, it still matters as you can trade them to maximize the number of coins you hold, given the same hashing power.

Guess nobody is holding USD here? lol

imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:09:07 PM

I have 6.5k namecoins... I think that's enough. I'm not getting rid of them either. They are incubating gold.
Dimsum

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:11:44 PM

the instructions at the beginning seem to be missing something.

How is GUIminer linked to the namecoin exe? There isn't a "create a solo miner" option in GUIMiner. There is a "create solo password" etc.

I think the original author missed a few things in the last few steps. I got the namecoin exe to show up in Windows 7 - but its just blank with a blinking cursor.

I signed up at coinotron pool, put the details into GUIminer (created a new OpenCl miner) - says password/username are wrong.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:13:03 PM

I am sure you might have done that already, but there's a help page here
http://coinotron.com/coinotron/AccountServlet?action=help

Did you create your workers already?

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
miningnew

Activity: 854
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:17:01 PM

Soon it drops from 2x to 0,5x Smiley
mjoz

Activity: 61

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:18:47 PM

As we bring this namecoin party to a close, I think it important to thank the little people who toiled away tirelessly to kill the last difficulty.  And though I will be taking my entire 11.5Gbps back to BTC mining, I look forward to the next namecoin party in two or three months.
pennytrader

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:27:21 PM

As we bring this namecoin party to a close, I think it important to thank the little people who toiled away tirelessly to kill the last difficulty.  And though I will be taking my entire 11.5Gbps back to BTC mining, I look forward to the next namecoin party in two or three months.

That's mean Smiley The party will probably come again one more time, before the 24000th namecoin block arrives. After that, it's unknown due to the merged mining.

Dimsum

Activity: 82

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:29:49 PM

I am sure you might have done that already, but there's a help page here
http://coinotron.com/coinotron/AccountServlet?action=help

Did you create your workers already?

yeah I created a worker - still doesnt work.
mjoz

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:31:20 PM

As we bring this namecoin party to a close, I think it important to thank the little people who toiled away tirelessly to kill the last difficulty.  And though I will be taking my entire 11.5Gbps back to BTC mining, I look forward to the next namecoin party in two or three months.

That's mean Smiley The party will probably come again one more time, before the 24000th namecoin block arrives. After that, it's unknown due to the merged mining.

Sorry I just had one of my blocks rejected and I got a little emotional. 

I think without merge mining, namecoin mining is doomed to these massive mining throughput swings.  Unless of course the prices keep up with the difficulty.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 06:32:00 PM

how do you transfer some namecoins? can't find any info

mjoz

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 06:53:53 PM