Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:52:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info My Wallet "Insecure Alias"  (Read 7313 times)
bitbully (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 07:05:03 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2013, 07:49:38 AM by bitbully
Merited by ABCbits (1)

To anyone who has run into this issue:

"Insecure Alias. Please login using your wallet identifier link."

I contacted them and they explained that they changed their policy, just a couple days ago, that aliases without an email attached will not work due to security concerns. They probably should have notified their users because I have a couple accounts which are not linked to anything and now I need the the ip with which I opened the account (?), the email with which I opened the account (HUH!?!) or my account password (yeah right). I think it's an unnecessary move, and don't really see the logic.

Well turns out deep in your browser's history, assuming you are not a security freak, are cookies with all the blockchain logins.  On chrome I entered:

chrome://settings/cookies

and then searched blockchain and there were a bunch of "Application cache" tabs and under each one was a different guid (wallet identifier) i had used in the past.

If this helps anyone out please post to this thread I'll be happy to know I'm not the only newb who doesn't backup his wallets (in my defense it was a disposable wallet which happened to have funds in it).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitbully (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 07:38:03 AM

FYI, exact email I received, a little absurd if you ask me:

Hello, [name]! If you received the "Insecure Alias" error, then it is because aliases will no longer work for wallets which have no email account associated with them. This has been implemented as an extra security measure, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you do not know what your wallet identifier is, then we can help you recover it. We need at least two of the following to find your wallet identifier - your alias, the email address you used to create the wallet, or the IP address you used to create your wallet. As a last resort we may be able to track down your identifier if you provide your password and the date you created your account. Thanks!
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 02:50:50 PM

Weird shit man.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 03:17:45 PM

wtf, thanks for the info...

discusfish

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:03:48 AM

WTF
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 11:11:32 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2013, 11:40:38 AM by piuk

"Insecure Alias. Please login using your wallet identifier link."

I contacted them and they explained that they changed their policy, just a couple days ago, that aliases without an email attached will not work due to security concerns... I think it's an unnecessary move, and don't really see the logic.

Basically it is prevent automatic spidering of wallets using lists of usernames from other bitcoin sites or common english words.

If you have an email associated with your wallet if an unknown person tries to access it we can send you an email asking for your approval. Without an email we have no way to contact you, previously the default action was to allow login anyway now this has been changed to deny login.

You can still use blockchain.info with no contact information but must login using the identifier rather than an alias.

We need at least two of the following to find your wallet identifier

There is some confusion from the support staff here. If you are receiving this error simply send us your alias and we can send you the identifier without providing other information (If there is contact information associated with the wallet it must matches your own details).

"Application cache" tabs and under each one was a different guid (wallet identifier) i had used in the past.

This is the HTML 5 offline storage http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/appcache/beginner/. It means you can still open your wallet even if blockchain.info is offline and is a good way you can recover your identifier without our help.

shuttleclock

Activity: 50

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 02:57:42 AM

If I understand correctly, then I can't access my blockchain mobile wallet via web client since it's not associated with any email address?
piuk

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 04:20:25 PM

If I understand correctly, then I can't access my blockchain mobile wallet via web client since it's not associated with any email address?

You can but you must copy over the full wallet identifier which can be found list at the top of Account Settings on the android or iphone app.

Alternately you could add an email temporarily to receive the welcome message, which can be used to login on your PC, then afterwards remove the email.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 04:25:29 PM

"Application cache" tabs and under each one was a different guid (wallet identifier) i had used in the past.
Hey, I didn't knew that they did that. Great tip, thanks!

But I knew that they send an e-mail if you use your alias. That always happened when I used it, so it isn't that new I guess.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
MoneyGod

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 01:24:16 PM

today I have also problem account not login and again and again error for changing identifier as I try to recover or click for support page  502 not gateway message what the hell is going here

piuk

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 01:59:26 AM

today I have also problem account not login and again and again error for changing identifier as I try to recover or click for support page  502 not gateway message what the hell is going here

What browser are you using? It it possible you could screenshot the error and either post it or PM it to me.

Klapaucius

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:19:22 AM

So is it posible to recover my wallet? I know what my alias was and the password but I have no clue what the identifier was. I might know the IP I opened the wallet with as well. Thanks for the help!
piuk

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 12:06:46 PM

So is it posible to recover my wallet? I know what my alias was and the password but I have no clue what the identifier was. I might know the IP I opened the wallet with as well. Thanks for the help!

Yes, please open a ticket at https://blockchain.zendesk.com/ including your alias.

Klapaucius

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:53:54 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2013, 02:15:53 PM by Klapaucius

Yes, please open a ticket at https://blockchain.zendesk.com/ including your alias.

Done! Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Got a fast response and my problem was solved. Thanks once again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: