Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:54:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Currency, a medium of exchange, should it not inflate like wealth it represents?  (Read 1065 times)
steelhouse (OP)

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:07:55 AM

The purpose of a currency is to act as a medium of trade thus you can exchange chickens for wood and wood for flour and flour for a cart and a cart for a plate and a plate for  sword.  

But the problem with all this wealth is that chickens die, wood rots, flour spoils, carts decompose, plates break, and a sword rusts.  All the wealth of the 1800s is basically gone.  Yet if you held the medium of exchange you can use it like it was in the 1800s.

Maybe government inflating a currency at 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% as a tax would be good for the economy?  It would force you to do something productive?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 09:09:02 AM

Watch The Moneymasters, and oldie but goodie.

http://youtu.be/H56FUHgqRNE

NEVER GOT PAID.
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 09:15:05 AM

Maybe government inflating a currency ... would force you to do something productive?

If you hold currency, you have normally already done something productive to earn it. Holding the currency just lets you exchange it later for the fruits of someone else's production, at a rate representing what the currency it's worth to that producer.

You want the government to "force you to do something productive". Do you not see the irony here? The government is the most unproductive entity, taking its money by threat of force.

But that was in the past, you are now in the present.  If you cut down a tree and made boards, those boards may now be rotten.

No, i don't think government should be involved in currency, the dollar, euro, ruble should be destroyed.
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 09:18:25 AM

Watch The Moneymasters, and oldie but goodie.

http://youtu.be/H56FUHgqRNE

I watched the moneymasters and even debated with Still on subjects via his forum.  However, a currency should represent a unit of work or a man-hour.  Thus a commodity probably best represents that.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 12:10:39 PM

If you want self-destructing money you're free to create your own and do your best to convince other people to use it.

The fact that you want governments to impose this by force is proof that you already know it isn't a good idea.
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 12:17:15 PM

Exactly. You could move to Freicoin if you so please. Or keep using fiat.

For me bitcoin is not about bitcoin. It's about choice.

We should be allowed to choose our own money/economy, much like we are allowed to choose our own religion.

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 12:22:39 PM

Why should currency inflate if there is more produce on market?

Just compare the amount of consumables from 1900 and 2000. There is lot more of them. And they require less time to produce.

It doesn't really matter that items are used or gone, as long as in wide scale they are replaced if there is a demand for them.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 02:59:59 PM

exchange chickens for wood and wood for flour and flour for a cart and a cart for a plate and a plate for  sword.  
I recall doing something exactly like this as a side quest in one of the early Legend of Zelda games.
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:09:09 PM

The purpose of a currency is to act as a medium of trade thus you can exchange chickens for wood and wood for flour and flour for a cart and a cart for a plate and a plate for  sword.  
What do you live in the medieval ages?
What about concert ticket for playstation 3, playstation 3 for an iphone 5 an iphone 5 for an airplane ticket.
gannicus

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:48:42 PM

1. Maybe government inflating a currency at 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% as a tax would be good for the economy? 

Most governments inflates much more than that.

2. It would force you to do something productive?

They already do, by means of taxes. Most governments in the world already force you to give around a third of your income. But the real question is: Why do they have force me to do someting productive? What do I owe them? Why do they have the right to force me to do something productive?

People should be able to use whatever they want as a currency. Then you can chose to use your inflationary state money and live your productive life. But being obligated to use inflationary money plus give most of my income by taxes, and still hear that that is capitalism? No thanks, Jeff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: