Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 01:01:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 622 times)
prg99 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 09:45:43 AM

I am a newbie to the forum. I started out with bitcoins years ago, I had a quad opteron (16cores) with a 4870x2 for running scientific simulations and every now and then I used it to mine bitcoins. I lost most of the coins through neglect and computer hardware failures, like many others I suspect. So now I only have a few left. More recently my interest in bitcoins has been renewed, both in terms of actually using it as a currency but also I am an academic and I have become interested in it as a disruptive (potentially) technology. So I might ask questions to do with my research, I will let you know if I do. I have a bunch of usb ASIC miners bought off ebay running now that generate a small fraction of a bitcoin a day.  Grin

Cheers, and hello everyone.
Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:02:44 AM

Welcome! I too joined in the CPU to GPU transition period. I've lost about 5BTC total a few years ago on hardware failure, and stupidity of not having backups.

imperial

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:57:57 PM

I am a newbie to the forum. I started out with bitcoins years ago, [...] I lost most of the coins through neglect and computer hardware failures, like many others I suspect. So now I only have a few left. More recently my interest in bitcoins has been renewed, both in terms of actually using it as a currency but also I am an academic and I have become interested in it as a disruptive (potentially) technology.

+1

When this all began, I was too young to fathom the real potential of Bitcoin. I am just starting to take it seriously, and in such a short time I have already learned more about the U.S. Dollar, which I have been using my entire life, than I would have ever guessed I didn't know. Socially, the extent to which decentralized control over currency removes dependency upon entrenched interests and resolves the barrier created by lack of trust between actors, is simple and fantastic. Bitcoin (and possibly other cryptocoins) are leveraging technology in a way to make all this accessible to the masses, and this is very exciting. What the internet has done to knowledge, I see Bitcoin doing to currency. But the best part of all of this is that the community is mostly transparently. I can jump in and participate. I am free to fail or succeed based on information we can all access and I know the system itself is not slanted against me even though market forces are not in my favor.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 05:18:04 AM

Welcome to the forums! Too bad I didn't learn about Bitcoins as early as you did... Sad

hulk

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:10:19 AM

Lucky you, you should have earned a fortune by starting few years ago. I just started this year when Bitcoin is already so expensive.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: