Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:43:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CryptoCurrency or CryptoAsset  (Read 430 times)
mersal

Activity: 1204
Merit: 38

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 05:47:32 AM

I think crypto currencies will get stable price when all the people in the world starts using cryptos.And it is also suitable for small payment too because bitcoin is not the only crypto available there are other crypto arealso available which is suitable for small payment like buying a coffee.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 05:51:47 AM

For now the most correct term will be crypto assets, most of the people using crypto as investment not as currency the reasons is because not a lot of places accepting Bitcoin yet, so it's not too convenient to be spent, in the future Bitcoin will become more stable and able to be used as currency

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
Reatim

Activity: 2828
Merit: 357

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 06:22:37 AM

For now the most correct term will be crypto assets, most of the people using crypto as investment not as currency the reasons is because not a lot of places accepting Bitcoin yet, so it's not too convenient to be spent, in the future Bitcoin will become more stable and able to be used as currency

Exactly. I consider it assets as well. It has now become as store of wealth the the currency that we are expecting is not yet happening. On the contrary, a lot of companies are still not accepting bitcoin and most recently Steam stop accepting it as well. So the original vision of Satoshi has been buried and bitcoin now turns to be the playground of most the rich.

However, the fees is now lowered and transactions are very fast as well. And when LN be implement, I'm sure that we can now realized the dream of Satoshi because we can used bitcoin then as mode of payment.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
palle11

Activity: 2310
Merit: 332

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 06:39:36 AM

Because if bitcoins price going up and down drastically, it's got the attention of big investors and when people treat it as an asset more than a currency (not saying that is not used as a currency at all, just not as much as it should be), it's bound to continue on that path and solidify as an asset. That's why I don't think we'll ever see BTC used as an everyday currency.

I agree with this position. It might never be that we are going to see bitcoin taken over the burden of financial transactions totally because other minor payments that we are currently not being able to carry out now with bitcoin would still be there. This is one big challenge. I just see it as dominating the crypto space and alternative to fiat (maybe).
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 06:57:39 AM

There's an exchange named Robinhood which recently gained more than 1 million traders after it announced support for crypto currencies. Awhile ago coinbase added more than 100,000 new accounts in a single day. We have statistics that say the number of total crypto users doubles every 16 months. There are plenty of positives to focus on. Yet somehow people fixate and can only talk about "volatility". I don't get it.

More users doesn't necessarily mean cryptos are thriving as a currency though. Lots of these users talk about HODLing and investing, which doesn't help their case as a currency. But yeah, I don't get the whole drama surrounding it either. Why can't it be both? Users can use them for whatever they wish, and they seem to work well enough to attract new people every day anyway. They can grow in value, making them a good asset, and they're easy to transfer and split, making them ideal as a currency in the most basic sense.

beej

Activity: 476
Merit: 108

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 07:10:18 AM

CryptoAsset is more synonymous and distinctively close to what bitcoins, ethereum and other cryptocurrencies
are positioned currently in the market. With the way things are going with bitcoins, people are more likely to hold
their coins and wait for a few more months before selling, when prices are more better. A lot of investors I believe
have contributed to this current occupation with the release and promises of upcoming icos and the potential they
harbor. But they are also effective payment options, they are working digital currencies but people are more
interested with them more as assets nowadays because it's very capable in being so.
metenjean

Activity: 854
Merit: 140

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 07:24:47 AM

Per my understanding, current cryptocurrencies are not suitable for payment since their value is not stable
Wrong. They are suitable for payments, you can actually buy stuff (a house, a t-shirt, digital goods, etc) using cryptocurrencies, though only a handful of cryptos are being accepted by merchants.

Will anybody use bitcoin to pay for a coffee now?
With how cheap the fees have been over the past few weeks (1-10 Sat/b), yes, everyone can pay for a coffe now.
Yes, i think Bitcoin is more like cryptoasset now rather than cryptocurrency and its true because 1 btc is so much even can be compared to a car rather than primary goods such as t-shirt or coffee. Other cryptocurrencies such as ETH might be consider more stable and much more suitable for payment now rather than bitcoin and consider the cheap fee nowadays might put good words for bitcoin in the meantime but what if the transaction fee rose again just like in december when high fee and long transaction queue happened, do we need to wait for days to accept payment for a cup of coffee?
goldade

Activity: 896
Merit: 104

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 07:55:28 AM

Although, there are some cryptocurrencies that can be used for payment of goods, most coins are still not accepted and can only be used as an asset.
Cryptocurrencies in themselves are not the problem. They are not the reason for not being use for payment. The problem lies with the people, those who are involved with cryptocurrencies.  Most people use cryptocurrencies as asset and do has lost it's function as a means of payment.

orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 11:50:38 AM

Per my understanding, current cryptocurrencies are not suitable for payment since their value is not stable
Wrong. They are suitable for payments, you can actually buy stuff (a house, a t-shirt, digital goods, etc) using cryptocurrencies, though only a handful of cryptos are being accepted by merchants.

With how cheap the fees have been over the past few weeks (1-10 Sat/b), yes, everyone can pay for a coffe now.

I think there is a big opportunity to make a cryptocurrency that has a stable value and could be used for payment.
Again, cryptocurrencies are being used as payments by many people around the globe even though they are highly volatile. Also, it would be really difficult to create a "stable" cryptocurrency since, one way or another, it would be part of the high volatility and movements of the crypto market.

Other than its volatility getting in the way, an additional issue would be the lack of adoption. Bitcoin cannot yet be used as a payment system because although it is already being used globally for payments, there is only limited use. Another problem would be the transaction fee for bitcoin because it is too high. Imagine having to pay for a good then paying more than the amount of the good just to make a transfer. If that were the case, I would opt for other payment methods.

As for now, bitcoin is ideal as a payment system but cannot be realized yet so most see it as a crypto-asset and would rather store it for future value.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:37:59 AM

Another problem would be the transaction fee for bitcoin because it is too high. Imagine having to pay for a good then paying more than the amount of the good just to make a transfer. If that were the case, I would opt for other payment methods.

Unless you're only paying a few cents for what you're buying or you're paying from an exchange, this shouldn't be true. Fees have been low for a while now. That being said, it could change in a hurry, which brings us to another problem: scalability. Let's hope the Lightning Network can address it.

millgates

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:51:37 AM

Per my understanding, current cryptocurrencies are not suitable for payment since their value is not stable. So they are more like a cryptoasset.
USDT is a solution since it provide a stable value, but it is actually not a decentralized currency.
Is there any solution to have a decentralized solution and at the same time with a stable value?
I think there is a big opportunity to make a cryptocurrency that has a stable value and could be used for payment.
I disagree, since cryptocurrency is new currency with relatively low liquidity then its fluctuations price is normal. I think bitcoin can be more stable in the future when the number of bitcoin users in online shop is larger then in trading platform. Any cryptocurrency will not stable if there are many people that can influence the price in exchanges.
lvincent

Activity: 294
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:59:35 AM

Well bitcoin and cryptocurrency are introduced wrong to a lot of people instead of cryptocurrency a lot of people are mistaking it for an asset they're not using it as a currency and i think this has a big effect in cryptocurrency in the future although you can really make money out of crypto it's still wrong that people didn't use cryptocurrency for it's main purpose.

Alvaro094

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 03:18:47 AM

Per my understanding, current cryptocurrencies are not suitable for payment since their value is not stable. So they are more like a cryptoasset.
USDT is a solution since it provide a stable value, but it is actually not a decentralized currency.
Is there any solution to have a decentralized solution and at the same time with a stable value?

the cryptocurrencies market is very young and there are so much for better. In this moment there are some projects in development addressed at solve the Bitcoin fee issue. there is another Altcoins that bet to became in pay way for different services and goods online, put your eyes on KIN, NANO, TRX. Everyone knows to USDT is a time bomb that anytime go off (I would not advise to invest to it)
wolfofcryptocurrency

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 04:35:46 AM

Personally I would consider it as an asset for now. But I also believe a solution will be there soon or naturally when cryptocurrency gets older it will be more stable.
katiecbell

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:42:26 AM

Definitely cant be said as currency. It can be termed as crypto asset cause it is a store of value. Nobody can use bitcoin to pay for a coffee cause first of all the prices are pretty unstable and secondly the transaction takes long to get confirmed and your coffee will get cold.

Moreover you don’t wanna pay 5-13$ fees to buy a coffee worth 2$. I don’t think there is any solution to have stable value with a decentralized platform. Stability of value can only be achieved if the platform is centralized. Though blockchain technology can been used, but centralization is must.
Barley Hertog

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:15:09 PM

USDT is a ticking time bomb, I wouldn't count on such a shady cryptocurrency as a a solution for anything.

What risks do you see in USDT?
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:12:42 PM

Definitely cant be said as currency. It can be termed as crypto asset cause it is a store of value. Nobody can use bitcoin to pay for a coffee cause first of all the prices are pretty unstable and secondly the transaction takes long to get confirmed and your coffee will get cold.

Moreover you don’t wanna pay 5-13$ fees to buy a coffee worth 2$. I don’t think there is any solution to have stable value with a decentralized platform. Stability of value can only be achieved if the platform is centralized. Though blockchain technology can been used, but centralization is must.

Exactly. Something extremely volatile won't be backed upnto be used as a currency. And people don't actually see it as such. Ask anyone about bitcoin and you'd get the same response that it's something that can generate profit either though trading or holding. As long as its unstable, it would be very hard to use it in transactions

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
BTCeminjas

Activity: 322
Merit: 23

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:54:57 PM

The bitcoin volatile when the price was up and down it is very attractive to people and has many investors interested in this kind of asset in bitcoin. Bitcoin won't be stable because at this asset volatile and you can't control of this because of decentralized bitcoin, so now the best asset on bitcoin is attracted more investors so that bitcoin making expensive to the market if that happens the price also was expensive.

There's no reason to be stabled bitcoin price because of this asset we all get involving bitcoin.

Notcalculator

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:22:07 PM

i think that its volatility has more to do with it being on its early phases than the actual technology itself. Good technology could help it get to a wide adoption and if we reach that point then maybe its volatility will decrease. It's true, it's more of an asset now, since it's way too valuable to use to pay for coffee. And maybe that's a good thing? There are so many opportunities for people present during the early adoption phase, and we are experiencing those opportunities right now. 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Polipog

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:41:12 PM

For me cryptocurrency and crypto assets are the same, because when we are using cryptocurrency and we have a lots of stocks, it is already an assets. But if someone wants that price of cryptocurrency stable, this is what happening today in the market, that price of bitcoin almost  three weeks stay at a middle line, that price is actually wants people before that price become stable. And it comes now, is there any persons who says thanks to the price of bitcoin today? What I mean is the reality of people life's are not contented on what they have now today, and I really accept the fact, that being me also today, is not really what I want, and I'm not totally contented of what I have reached. Likewise also in bitcoin business, people are not contented on the price given.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: