Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:24:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: be safe out there  (Read 218 times)
vectisitch (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1927
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:37:21 PM

hi. if your mining with a good few rigs then take note. i checked my mining rigs today and all the wiring from the consumer unit to the wall socket. lucky i did as i had a very badly burned and melted 100 amp main switch. it was due to a loose connection which was arcing. so i suggest you all go check all your electrics just to be safe. the connections are brass and the wires are copper so they heat and expand at different rates. meaning the screws can loosen over time. if your putting a lot of power through it all you could have a problem

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 07:31:27 PM

hi. if your mining with a good few rigs then take note. i checked my mining rigs today and all the wiring from the consumer unit to the wall socket. lucky i did as i had a very badly burned and melted 100 amp main switch. it was due to a loose connection which was arcing. so i suggest you all go check all your electrics just to be safe. the connections are brass and the wires are copper so they heat and expand at different rates. meaning the screws can loosen over time. if your putting a lot of power through it all you could have a problem

This is good info.  Do not use a half-assed solution for your power needs.  Your rigs could fry and at worst you could start a fire.  It's worth taking precautions. Read up on electricity if you need to.
beskid

Activity: 252
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 07:58:24 PM

The author, thank you for the warning! I decided to check my wiring from which two farms are fed and suddenly found out that this is an old aluminum wiring which is very hot. I'll have to change it urgently.
g0lden

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 05:18:58 AM

This is great advice - and maybe even though I been mining for well over a year this is a newb question - but I have a feeling there's some problem with my electrical, though not 100% sure.  Something weird happen with my power supply after windows 10 update.  It kept beeping.  It's actually a UPS, cyber power.  I unplugged the UPS, tested it with another device and it worked but still beeped.  I unplugged UPS for 5 minutes, replugged it back in, plugged in my rig, rolled back windows 10, and now its working.  However, one of the sockets on the UPS stopped working after a storm a few months ago (I foolishly had a heavy duty power cord connected).  I only have 4 GPUs, 1000 watt gold psu.  I'm in a fairly nice sized home, haven't had any issues with electrical yet, but I'm starting to wonder.  And beyond this, I don't know much about electrical.  Where can I start? Any guidance at all is helpful.  I was thinking to call electric company. I don't want to really hire an electrician for my measely one rig, but I also want to avoid a fire, etc.  Also my gpus are overclocked now, they weren't last summer.  I'm wondering if now that we're turning the central air on, it's impacting that?  Any advice is appreciated!  Thinking of resetting my GPUs from overclock or just shutting it altogether until I figure this out.  I think it would be fine, but don't wanna take any chances!
F360

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 09:11:04 AM

so what solution you found for your problem ? Why did the main switch burn ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: