Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:47:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ledger Nano S - Need help recovering BTC sent to BCH address  (Read 183 times)
sound234 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:04:59 PM

I was having trouble getting the BTC desktop client to work for my Ledger Nano S, and so I unintentionally sent my BTC to a BCH address (I realize now this was a mistake). I tried recovering the BTC by putting my seed words into Electrum (and also the BIP39 recovery tool found on Github) but it didn't seem to work. The address where they are now begins with a 3 which apparently indicates that it is a Segwit address.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:28:41 PM

Ledger, Trezor and other companies should start to support the new Bitcoin Cash address format. A lot of people accidentally send their BTC to BCH address or the opposite.
The only thing I could find was the link below. However, it is an instruction for recovering Bitcoin Cash from SegWit address. Are you the owner of the address to which you sent BTC? If so, recovery should be possible.

https://bch.btc.com/docs/help/bch_segwit_recovery
sound234 (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:32:09 PM

Ledger, Trezor and other companies should start to support new Bitcoin Cash address format. A lot of people accidentally send their BTC to BCH address or the opposite.
The only thing I could find was the link below. However, it is an instruction for recovering Bitcoin Cash from SegWit address. Are you the owner of the address to which you sent BTC?

https://bch.btc.com/docs/help/bch_segwit_recovery

The address was generated using my seed words so I must be the owner.

There is also this link: https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005304849-How-to-recover-BTC-sent-to-a-BCH-split-address
but it requires the Ledger client to be working. Of course it would be ideal if I could get it working. If I can't find another solution soon I'll try using the client on another computer.
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:35:57 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2018, 08:54:46 PM by BitCryptex
Merited by gentlemand (3)

There is also this link: https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005304849-How-to-recover-BTC-sent-to-a-BCH-split-address
but it requires the Ledger client to be working. Of course it would be ideal if I could get it working. If I can't find another solution soon I'll try using the client on another computer.

Download the latest Electrum wallet and try importing your seed. Electrum will ask you for a derivation path. Replace the first number (44) with 49 and hit next. Check the addresses tab to see your addresses and their balance, it might be not visible unless you enable it in the "View".

Edit: You can also try to restore a wallet using your Ledger which won't force you to enter seed. I don't remember how it works so I don't know if you can change the derivation path.
sound234 (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:57:24 PM

Download the latest Electrum wallet and try importing your seed. Electrum will ask you for a derivation path. Replace the first number (44) with 49 and hit next. Check the addresses tab to see your addresses and their balance, it might be not visible unless you enable it in the "View".

Edit: You can also try to restore a wallet using your Ledger which won't force you to enter seed. I don't remember how it works so I don't know if you can change the derivation path.

It worked! Thank you. The addresses were visible without any further action.

(I think the Ledger method you mean is the one at the link above)
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:05:16 PM

It worked! Thank you. The addresses were visible without any further action.

(I think the Ledger method you mean is the one at the link above)

I'm glad that you have managed to recover your coins, try to be more careful next time.
You can see on the picture below what I actually meant. I was not able to check further steps because I have sold my Ledger Nano S sometime ago.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: