Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:18:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy Wallet Encryption for Ubuntu/Linux users (HowTo)  (Read 926 times)
bitcoinemily (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 09:53:50 PM

Hi fellow bitcoiners,

everyone's telling you to encrypt your wallet these days (with good reason!) and with tools like FreeOTFE for Windows/Mac users that's easy to do. More experienced Unix/Linux users will probably resort to dm-crypt/cryptsetup encrypted volumes.

What's been missing is a less techy tutorial for the Linux user who wants an easy setup with GUI password dialogs and no need to fire up terminals every now and then.

If that sounds like you, you're the audience I wrote this HowTo for: Smiley http://bitcoin.blog.com/2011/07/17/linux-bitcoin-wallet-encryption/

Hope you'll find it useful, feedback much appreciated!
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 05:46:56 AM

Here's my formula.  I expect it would work the same on Windows with reasonably full cygwin installed, but have not had occasion to try it.  I didn't feel like dicking with public key crypto and installing software that other people compiled and so forth.

I do this when I want to squirrel away an entire savings wallet with {n} number of coins in it.

1) bitcoind stop     (However it is done on your client.)

2) cat ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat | openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -salt > ~/wallet.dat__whatever.enc

3) wipe .bitcoin/wallet.dat    (better than a simple 'rm' which a competent attacker can possibly re-find.)

---

Before I remove my wallet, I actually do do some sanity checks.  Such as:

1)  sha256 .bitcoin/wallet.dat

2)  cat ~/wallet.dat__whatever.enc | openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -salt | sha256

---

I use a pretty good password and am comfortable putting the entire encrypted wallet in a public area.

I really like Unix because it is so damn _easy_.  Really!  GUI software really does confuse the heck out of my and as often as not just does not do what I wish it to do.  After learning a few basic principles, the simple command line tools really are super easy and really flexible.  That is my opinion.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: