May 21, 2024, 06:07:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The United States is:
Still the American Dream - 28 (11.9%)
Just a place - 44 (18.7%)
Fat people - 72 (30.6%)
The land of legal money laundering and money injection - 70 (29.8%)
idgaf - 21 (8.9%)
Total Voters: 235

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinion on the US  (Read 18936 times)
Taras (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 11:56:45 PM

I would like to know the general opinion of my country.
Nobody seems to like it, I don't really like it and it has this weird dollar thing.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:02:58 AM

There's good people and bad people everywhere...

I voted "Fat people". Cheesy

ronimacarroni

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 01:29:31 AM

What about the last resistance agaisnt zombie stalin.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:50:13 AM

There are many good points of US for e.g. free speech, second amendment, etc. But I am sorry to state that it's all falling apart slowly Sad
It's like the proverbial boiling frog story with the American people. Nobody feels the decline since it's slow and gradual but if one looks back 10 - 20 years they do realize it.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:58:45 AM

I don't like it.  I don't like any nation but America takes the cake for having the most corrupt, overreaching and powerful state with the most passive, sheepish (albeit paradoxically angry) people.  What they're putting in the water is working.  I'm on the first plane out once I can save enough, which is tough since they keep taking what little I earn to pay for the lives of people who I've never met and pay their own debts that have nothing to do with anyone; any entity which makes no money but forms a debt (and lets not even get to how big this nation's debt is) is essentially saying, "We spent your money frivolously and now you're going to pay for it."  And then we wonder how we're going to pay off all this debt like it's supposed to be our problem, which is twice as funny knowing that we won't be paying for it, it's future generations; to support the state is to sell your kids to debt, and you will be supporting the state, or else.

America: "I drink the kool-aid and so should the rest of the world."

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:42:17 PM

Work hard to live the American dream. That's what life is about, isn't it?
ronimacarroni

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:08:28 PM

I don't like it.  I don't like any nation but America takes the cake for having the most corrupt, overreaching and powerful state with the most passive, sheepish (albeit paradoxically angry) people.  What they're putting in the water is working.  I'm on the first plane out once I can save enough, which is tough since they keep taking what little I earn to pay for the lives of people who I've never met and pay their own debts that have nothing to do with anyone; any entity which makes no money but forms a debt (and lets not even get to how big this nation's debt is) is essentially saying, "We spent your money frivolously and now you're going to pay for it."  And then we wonder how we're going to pay off all this debt like it's supposed to be our problem, which is twice as funny knowing that we won't be paying for it, it's future generations; to support the state is to sell your kids to debt, and you will be supporting the state, or else.

Well I'm glad people are taking notice.
Say what you will about republicans, but atleast they seem like they're trying.

I haven't been to the USA for about 15 years.  But I thought it was amazing place, awesome natural beauty (the Grand Canyon is a must see), met a lot of great people and I never felt unsafe. Unfortunately it seems lately that your politicians and corporate bosses are only interested in looking after themselves and not the interests of the people or country.
I don't know how it works in Europe, but the US is meant to have small government.
We're to blame for giving politicians that much power to begin with.
Anything from this point forth will be damage control methinks.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:05:21 PM

I don't know how it works in Europe, but the US is meant to have small government.
We're to blame for giving politicians that much power to begin with.
Anything from this point forth will be damage control methinks.

I actually compare EU to the USA, the difference is Federal Government has too much power over the states, this can be good or bad, it depends what issue is being analyzed, the EU does not have much power over the countries, it's all about economical agreements.

The tendency around Europe is for decentralized government, my country, Portugal, is not a good example, but in the Nordic countries many of the important decisions are being made at the local level.

I see many people talking about the US constitution as it was the best document ever made for a society to be organized, I couldn't disagree more, and I don't think a bunch of christian, slave owners, old white guys a couple hundred years ago ever could do such a thing, they did what they could with what they knew, now we know better, but I feel that that patriotic constitution thing is almost like religion, very hard to change, and dogma is always a problem.

This said, there are lots of good people in/from the US, and lots of bad people, like everywhere else.

I follow US politics as much as I can, and the republican/tea party/libertarian crowd are just too hilarious, for me it's almost unbelievable how such stupid people got into a power position, but like John Kerry said, in America you have the right to be stupid.

ronimacarroni

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:11:13 PM

I follow US politics as much as I can, and the republican/tea party/libertarian crowd are just too hilarious, for me it's almost unbelievable how such stupid people got into a power position, but like John Kerry said, in America you have the right to be stupid.
But they're the ones that want to balance the budget.
And John Kerry was the douschebag who had the nerve to declare war on syria on the president's/congress behalf.  Angry
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:23:29 PM

D.P.R.K. is heaven in the sky and Belarus its oasis on Earth...  Grin
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:03:49 PM

And John Kerry was the douschebag who had the nerve to declare war on syria on the president's/congress behalf.  Angry

There is much more to politics than a balanced budget.

I also have no sympathy for the Democratic Party, but usually they make a little more sense, at least when it comes to social liberties.

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:56:23 PM

There is much more to politics than a balanced budget.

I also have no sympathy for the Democratic Party, but usually they make a little more sense, at least when it comes to social liberties.

But isn't the unbalanced budget and it being used as a political tool among the reasons why we are all here on bitcointalk?
I have no sympathy for the Democrats and I thought I was more inclined to the Republican party but if we keep this game alive nothing will change on a deeper level as this entropy* on the top will stay alive like a giant black hole.

* the degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity
VincentX

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 10:27:12 PM

Nobody seems to like it, I don't really like it and it has this weird dollar thing.

We don't like your country because of its addiction to war. There's really nothing else to say. Everything else is irrelevant.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 11:05:47 PM

We don't like your country because of its addiction to war. There's really nothing else to say. Everything else is irrelevant.

+1

Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 11:55:47 PM

The problem is the general rhetoric of USA and how it has too much power compared to other countries.

Meaning how they always say it's the greatest nation ever existed, everything there is right and better than any where else and so on...

If it was on level of France, Germany and UK. It wouldn't be such huge problem for most. Then you could just ignore it like Israel, NK and other lunatics Middle East...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2013, 12:08:18 AM

I actually compare EU to the USA, the difference is Federal Government has too much power over the states, this can be good or bad, it depends what issue is being analyzed, the EU does not have much power over the countries, it's all about economical agreements.

Ah, if only that were true! Yes, the US federal government is too powerful and dangerous. The EU has little power over its member states... other than over 100.000 pages of legislation, regulations, directives, etc. It has a strong tendency toward democratic deficit (power lies with the Commission and Council, not so much the Parliament), and centralises the wrong things (e.g. driver licence design) while failing to protect the so-called "benefits" of EU citizenship, such as equal sociopolitical treatment in all member states for all EU citizens (there are limited exceptions, but, generally speaking). Whatever "benefits" EU citizenship offers could be implemented through voluntary agreements, as kind of happens, for example, between Australia and New Zealand, without the need for an Australasian Union or Australasian Commission/Council/Parliament, and so on.

The economic agreements were/are centred around the EFTA (European Free Trade Association), and to some extent the EEC which was the forerunner to the EU, but even that was built upon political motives (a brief look at the Treaty of Rome confirms such). The EU is a bad move because it centralises power more and lots of people still identify with nations or nation states and not the imperial EU bloc. The EFTA is ok.

The tendency around Europe is for decentralized government, my country, Portugal, is not a good example, but in the Nordic countries many of the important decisions are being made at the local level.

True decentralised and democratic government in Europe is more or less limited to Switzerland, and perhaps a few little outposts like the Isle of Man, and the microstates, e.g. Andorra, San Marino.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 05:58:08 AM

In some sense I see things organizing much like Orwell predicted in his 1984 with Oceania, Eurasia and Eastasia, but Western Europe ended up being part of Oceania (aka, 'the West'.)

Lots of Europeans like to piss and moan about the US pushing people around militarily, yet their governments almost universally join right in when instructed.  Economically even more-so.  Many, if not most, individuals in the US are getting pretty fed up with the belligerence in foriegn policy (and numerous other maladies) but at this point we have no real democracy at the federal level.  I would say that it must be pretty similar in the rest of the Western countries and thus their pliability.

Just as some of our leaders (or at least the think-tankers) dream of a 'better Middle East' and re-draw the maps to amuse themselves, I think it would be ultimately beneficial for humanity if the U.S. broke up into 5 or 6 separate states with at most a rough and narrowly defined mutual defense pact to deal with our strategic nuclear stockpile.  Some of the states, at least, would learn from the past mistakes and halt the influence of money in politics in their founding papers.  Those who were serious about this one critical thing would likely prosper given the fantastic infrastructure and nature wealth of the nation as it is currently.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:13:21 AM

I am grossly disappointed.

The www is a 2-edged sword, on one hand, great access to information, on the other, it can be just a click away from absolutely devastating information about the absolute abuse of power going on.

Wikileaks, the latest Snowden scandal, the alphabet soup gang terrorizing US citizens, it gets overwhelming. Sometimes, this shit makes me downright suicidal. The past month of learning all about Bitcoin actually gave me a speck of hope, for freedom and a new economy.

At least I can verbalize the cynicism, 9 out of 10 people are still asleep, buying the crap peddled by the mainstream media. aka corporate media. I do what I can to help educate people via social websites.

I just recently listened to 1984 audio book, ugh, totally depressing.

Humans, please, evolve, wakeup, and work together to change things. Before it's too late!

NEVER GOT PAID.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 01:21:18 PM

In some sense I see things organizing much like Orwell predicted in his 1984 with Oceania, Eurasia and Eastasia, but Western Europe ended up being part of Oceania (aka, 'the West'.)

no, that's still gonna play out. Anti-US sentiment at governmental level here is rising with the recent NSA revelations, they have even been talking about an "European Internet" (not that they have any clue, but just to show the tendencies).

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:38:15 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2013, 07:32:21 PM by dragonkid

I think the US government is worse than China. Given it's core value as democracy, but the ironic thing is the US government go and fight other countries just to take away their oil reserve, but often using some excuse to attack to justify their reason. For example, where the hell was the Weapon of Mass Destruction which the US claim could target US? It was never found, because it never existed.

The NSA spying program and also a lot of power the FBI use to control the Internet globally. Is just not democracy. Where is the freedom?

China is a communist country, they suppose to be very bad at human right. They do monitor China's Internet and placed a great firewall of China. But that is just China, not globally like the US is doing. Then the oil aspect, China invest in foreign countries and help them improve their key infrastructures, such as roads, railways, telephone, clean water and so on. Then they work with the countries with oil and buy shares into their oil reserve.

I am beginning to think China is a country with more democracy then the US. I can't wait when China is the most powerful country in the world, and knock US off the rank. Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: