Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:32:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The environmental problem  (Read 425 times)
Bolt Brownie

Activity: 700
Merit: 350

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 04:19:38 PM

Everything is relative. Bitcoin mining is really an insanely energy-consuming process. However, we should remember that in the case of Bitcoin, electricity is spent only on mining and blockchain operation. While maintaining, for example, a payment system, which is used by almost all people and often enough, is accompanied by additional energy costs. BTC is even more environmentally friendly than traditional payment systems. Also do not forget that the total number of bitcoins is pre-installed. This means that sooner or later the last BTC will be mined and the mining will finally stop.

I agree with you in most of what you've said. The cost of electricity to support fiat, or even mining gold, since many compare bitcoin to gold, is way bigger than the costs used to mine bitcoin. A lot of miners are actually trying to use renewable energy, mostly because it's cheaper, but it's also good for the environment so it's a good thing they are doing it. In fact bitcoin mining could help boost the investment to produce renewable energy.

The only thing I don't agree in your post, and that shows a certain lack of understanding on why mining is done, is when you say that mining will stop.
Mining is used to keep the network secure, by confirming that every transaction made in the BTC blockchain is legit. In order to do so, miners get rewarded with some bitcoin (this reward is halved every 4 years, and the next one will happen in 2020). So when all bitcoins are mined, this will simply means that they will stop getting this reward. At this time, the only incentive they will get to continue securing the network, by verifying transactions will be the fees they collect. So basically mining will never stop.
Direwolve735

Activity: 448
Merit: 232

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:37:08 AM

Everything is relative. Bitcoin mining is really an insanely energy-consuming process. However, we should remember that in the case of Bitcoin, electricity is spent only on mining and blockchain operation. While maintaining, for example, a payment system, which is used by almost all people and often enough, is accompanied by additional energy costs. BTC is even more environmentally friendly than traditional payment systems. Also do not forget that the total number of bitcoins is pre-installed. This means that sooner or later the last BTC will be mined and the mining will finally stop.

I agree with you in most of what you've said. The cost of electricity to support fiat, or even mining gold, since many compare bitcoin to gold, is way bigger than the costs used to mine bitcoin. A lot of miners are actually trying to use renewable energy, mostly because it's cheaper, but it's also good for the environment so it's a good thing they are doing it. In fact bitcoin mining could help boost the investment to produce renewable energy.

The only thing I don't agree in your post, and that shows a certain lack of understanding on why mining is done, is when you say that mining will stop.
Mining is used to keep the network secure, by confirming that every transaction made in the BTC blockchain is legit. In order to do so, miners get rewarded with some bitcoin (this reward is halved every 4 years, and the next one will happen in 2020). So when all bitcoins are mined, this will simply means that they will stop getting this reward. At this time, the only incentive they will get to continue securing the network, by verifying transactions will be the fees they collect. So basically mining will never stop.

I agree with your remark and admit that I exaggerated a little when I said that the mining would stop. In fact, I meant that since there will be no reward that the miners get now, the incentive to continue to deal with this matter will be lost. When all bitcoins are mined, people's interest in mining will not be as strong as now, as they will no longer receive a reward. You said that the only incentive they will have to continue is the fees they collect. But I don`t think this i the strong incentive, which would encourage people to act. Mining will not stop, but its scale will be much less than today.
hrz

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:47:02 AM

really bitcoin spends electricity, but when compared with other projects that are very pollute the environment such as waste and others.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: