Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 02:48:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 110v miners w/ multiple rigs....how do you do it?  (Read 479 times)
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 03:00:03 AM

My first comment.  Listen to Phillip.  He know's what he is talking about.  

I wouldn't have felt comfortable re-arranging my breaker box, installing 30A breakers, running the wiring, and installing the outlets myself.  I have a friend who is an electrician, so I paid him to do it.  I had two 30A outlets installed in my mining room.  They were short runs, so only ended up having to get 50' of romex.  For two outlets, the materials shouldn't cost more than $200 or so.  The L6 recepticals are around 20-25 each.  50ft of 10-3 romex was $75.  The 30A breakers he already had and didn't charge me any extra for.  There are some other odds and ends that you'll need.

I ended up paying him $100 for the labor and around $150-$175 for the materials.

Nice price for that amount of work you have a good friend

I know.  He saved me a lot of money.  I got quotes from a few different small to mid sized companies who employ electricians that were willing to do the job.  Problem was that every quote that I got was triple what I paid my friend.  My friends company only does large industrial jobs, but he told me the same thing. 

Finding someone who does that all day long and is willing to do side work is way better than the alternatives.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Max Likelihood

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:49:05 AM

My first comment.  Listen to Phillip.  He know's what he is talking about.  

I wouldn't have felt comfortable re-arranging my breaker box, installing 30A breakers, running the wiring, and installing the outlets myself.  I have a friend who is an electrician, so I paid him to do it.  I had two 30A outlets installed in my mining room.  They were short runs, so only ended up having to get 50' of romex.  For two outlets, the materials shouldn't cost more than $200 or so.  The L6 recepticals are around 20-25 each.  50ft of 10-3 romex was $75.  The 30A breakers he already had and didn't charge me any extra for.  There are some other odds and ends that you'll need.

I ended up paying him $100 for the labor and around $150-$175 for the materials.

Nice price for that amount of work you have a good friend

I know.  He saved me a lot of money.  I got quotes from a few different small to mid sized companies who employ electricians that were willing to do the job.  Problem was that every quote that I got was triple what I paid my friend.  My friends company only does large industrial jobs, but he told me the same thing. 

Finding someone who does that all day long and is willing to do side work is way better than the alternatives.

Sounds like a nice set up--and can't beat that price!
Sledge0001

Activity: 600
Merit: 152

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 04:13:04 AM

I added a 125 Amp sub panel in my garage tapped off a 220 Amp main panel. Cost about $600 in parts / copper and a sh*t load of sweat.... Digging and pulling cable was no joke. All @ 120v...

I was sore for a week afterwards as getting into the crawl space under my house sucked on a monumental scale. The good news is I am only pulling about 54 amps and have room to grow!!!
duhjeff (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 09:19:42 PM

I added a 125 Amp sub panel in my garage tapped off a 220 Amp main panel. Cost about $600 in parts / copper and a sh*t load of sweat.... Digging and pulling cable was no joke. All @ 120v...

I was sore for a week afterwards as getting into the crawl space under my house sucked on a monumental scale. The good news is I am only pulling about 54 amps and have room to grow!!!

So I have an electrician coming tomorrow to install 2 dual 60amp breaker and will have 4 plugs...

A stupid question

does this mean I have 220v power?

I just put extra in case I want to get more GPUs (even though it's not worth it right now..but for future consideration).   How much power can I run?
EricJH801

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 10:19:38 PM

You would want to ask the electrician what he's installing.  I'd imagine 60 amp are probably 240V but you'd need to check with him.   
I'm assuming you are having L6-30R receptacles put in?

Ask him or use a meter to check them. 

So I have an electrician coming tomorrow to install 2 dual 60amp breaker and will have 4 plugs...

A stupid question

I just put extra in case I want to get more GPUs (even though it's not worth it right now..but for future consideration).   How much power can I run?

duhjeff (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 11:28:05 PM

You would want to ask the electrician what he's installing.  I'd imagine 60 amp are probably 240V but you'd need to check with him.   

A stupid question

he's actually gonna be 4 UK type plug (https://www.amazon.com/220-250v-BITMAIN-Antminer-CryptoCoin-Miners/dp/B07B3Z196P/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1523143259&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=antminer+power+cord&psc=1).  Should I use the L6-30R instead?   

Am I overkilling it by installing 2 dual 60 amp breaker?  it seems like all the plugs are only goo for 30 amp
EricJH801

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 11:32:16 PM

I'm in the US so i'm not sure how different it is for you power wise.  But when i went this upgrade route, i had 4 L6-30R receptacles put in (30 amp each so 4 breakers total).  I then plug a PDU into these and can put around 4 (8 GPU) Rigs on each or possibly 4 ASICS depending on the power measurements.     So for 4 outlets, i can have 16 rigs setup and running.  (Would draw approx 98 amps at 240v).

I'd personally recommend going a route where you can plug a PDU into the receptacle and then add units to the PDU itself and not directly to an outlet.   If you can plug in a 60 AMP PDU into those, then go for it, otherwise i'd go 30 AMP breakers and 30 AMP PDU (which will probably be a ton cheaper than 60 AMP PDU if they are even made that are not 3 phase).

Just my thoughts.

A stupid question

he's actually gonna be 4 UK type plug (https://www.amazon.com/220-250v-BITMAIN-Antminer-CryptoCoin-Miners/dp/B07B3Z196P/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1523143259&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=antminer+power+cord&psc=1).  Should I use the L6-30R instead?   

Am I overkilling it by installing 2 dual 60 amp breaker?  it seems like all the plugs are only goo for 30 amp
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 07:01:51 PM

You would want to ask the electrician what he's installing.  I'd imagine 60 amp are probably 240V but you'd need to check with him.  

A stupid question

I just put extra in case I want to get more GPUs (even though it's not worth it right now..but for future consideration).   How much power can I run?

he's actually gonna be 4 UK type plug (https://www.amazon.com/220-250v-BITMAIN-Antminer-CryptoCoin-Miners/dp/B07B3Z196P/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1523143259&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=antminer+power+cord&psc=1).  Should I use the L6-30R instead?  

Am I overkilling it by installing 2 dual 60 amp breaker?  it seems like all the plugs are only goo for 30 amp

If you're in the US, use US CODE type outlets - which means NEMA 6 of some sort for a 234V circuit (14 if you want the flexbility of 234V OR 117V on a particular circuit) or NEMA 5 for 117V.

British type plugs/sockets would work and be safe if used within their raitings, but would be an automatic FAIL on any sort of inspection as they don't meet US code requirements - and NO sane electrician will install them in the US.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
EricJH801

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 08:47:08 PM

Yeah i would get whatever works in your country PDU wise for 30amp.  I'm not sure i'd do 60amp becasue finding PDU's for those may be near impossible or super expensive.

You would want to ask the electrician what he's installing.  I'd imagine 60 amp are probably 240V but you'd need to check with him.  

A stupid question

I just put extra in case I want to get more GPUs (even though it's not worth it right now..but for future consideration).   How much power can I run?

he's actually gonna be 4 UK type plug (https://www.amazon.com/220-250v-BITMAIN-Antminer-CryptoCoin-Miners/dp/B07B3Z196P/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1523143259&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=antminer+power+cord&psc=1).  Should I use the L6-30R instead?  

Am I overkilling it by installing 2 dual 60 amp breaker?  it seems like all the plugs are only goo for 30 amp

If you're in the US, use US CODE type outlets - which means NEMA 6 of some sort for a 234V circuit (14 if you want the flexbility of 234V OR 117V on a particular circuit) or NEMA 5 for 117V.

British type plugs/sockets would work and be safe if used within their raitings, but would be an automatic FAIL on any sort of inspection as they don't meet US code requirements - and NO sane electrician will install them in the US.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 09:40:52 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2018, 11:47:51 PM by QuintLeo

30 amp PDUs are common because many or most data centers traditionally used 30 amp "drop cords" to feed their racks from.
That has changed some in recent years, as "density" has become more important to many data centers but the change has often been to set up *2* or *3* 30-amp drop cords to feed a single rack (like the OpenCompute version that put 45 separate dual-CPU servers into a single custom rack).

Most servers tend to be designed to run on 208 VAC or 234 VAC though, as it's a bit more efficient to run and 208VAC in particular is easy to pull out of a common 440VAC three-phase power feed into a fairly large data center.

I am not aware of ANY NEMA 60-amp outlet of any sort, and I'm not sure if anything larger than 50 amp has ever been available - higher current machinery tends to be large enough to make hard-wiring it practical (and required under the Code at some point).

Even the old Mobile Home 50-amp hookups (NEMA 14-50 in all the cases I've ever seen) are no longer allowed for new installations, though they are "grandfathered" in and acceptable on existing installations, and they seem to still be acceptable for RV usage in campgrounds.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
duhjeff (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 11:38:38 AM

A stupid question

Yup.  That's exactly what I did.  I ended installing 4 30 amp plugs (figure that'll be way more than enough for my use).

Thanks for the help guys!   Now I just need to wait for my wires to show up so I can have the transformation begin!

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: