Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:33:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I find out if a masternode coin supports IPv6 and how does bind= work?  (Read 669 times)
red023 (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 02:45:35 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 03:29:20 PM by red023

I have found this absolutely awesome project, that seems semi abandoned, at least it does not have many of the modern coins you would get into of you would go into the masternode game now. But it for sure does things WAY better then 99% of the stupid noob masternode guides arround that just run one coin as root without systemd, without bothering to move the bins and things like this. I have seen so many horrible guides. And finally I have a good source for dependencies and compile switches for coins.

Before I run into a trail and error hell, and because I am actually interested into the technical detail behind the bind= setting for masternode deamons.

https://github.com/masternodes/vps/blob/master/new_coin_template/coin.conf

So it seems to use vultr's free IPv6 option and can setup coin totally automatically. I started to write on my own script b4 I found this project and decided to use that instead, and add new coins, seems simple enough for me since I do have Linux knowledge. But I never worked with IPv6 b4 and I am not sure how this work exactly.

So the coins MN guides I have seen all use.

Code:
masternodaddr=
externalip=

But this project uses
Code:
bind=
and fills in IPv6 addresses automatically. So can someone tell me how this works exactly? Are this IPs generated? Are they then bind/linked/forwared to the actual IPv4 address the VPS comes with or are they truly run on IPv6?

Because in all the node lists of the coins wallets I run I never saw a IPv6 address. But all coins, including numus that seems one more relevant coin I see on masternodes list sites ofter are seem to do fine this way.

Its just confusing to me, because DASH itself does not seem to support IPv6 https://github.com/dashpay/dash/issues/1931 and all this modern masternode coins are forks of DASH right?

There is also this
Code:
NETWORK_BASE_TAG
that this script uses and I do not understand what it is and does. Anyone with some knowledge can explain this to me?

Sadly this project comes with a very basic setup guide https://masternodes.github.io/vps/. So my guess is I would just take that IPv6 address from a config it generates and add that to my desktop wallet and try to start it, if fail I would try the main IPv4 of the VPS and hope its somehow forwarded to that IPv6 in the config.

Of course if IPv6 is a problem then its easy to replace it with common config for IPv4 and that script even puts out a warning notice that it has been done manually additionally IPv4 addresses can be bought on vultr or you just run one node of each coin one one VPS. Also I am not sure if all cons support multiple nodes on one VPS, it seems with this setup they do.

// edit

some coin peole just told me that their coin does not even need another ip just another port so that should probably something easy to setup with that script as a base. basically just go to
Code:
/etc/masternodes/coinslug_n2.conf
and change port and then open on the firewall. I may be wrong but I think there are coins where you actually can not use different ports for another node on the same VPS. Its not that its making me poor purchasing another IPv4 (or even other VPS instance) if thats what needed, but still curios about all of this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
red023 (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 07:22:30 PM

Bumb
red023 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 01:29:06 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2018, 02:04:01 AM by red023

OK this came up again for me. I discovered this now as I am running several masternode coins now.

In general
Code:
bind=
works very will for me.

However own a AWS VPS there are actually a internal and a external IP used and there the bind fails and I can use
Code:
externalip=externalip:port
instead

I have seen guides use just the IP without port on
Code:
externalip=
and there is also
Code:
port=
so I like to know how they are supposed to be used.

But for demos the guides actually says
Code:
externalip=123.123.123.123:5005
and the demoscoin actually fails when
Code:
masternodeaddr=
is used so it seems at some point in the codebase of whatever coin its forked form the masternodesaddr= option became deprecated.

So maybe I should just use externalip by default for all coins? Still trying to get that bind actually does. I seen it for some IPv6 stuff but in general I just run one node of one coin on one VPS with one extermal ip. I run multiple nodes for a coin that runs on different ports but I do not need to deal with multiple IPs or IPv6 as of now.
ligor

Activity: 1246
Merit: 138

Hodl DeepOnion

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 05:14:21 PM

Try the

Code:
-discover=0 

notnormals

Activity: 362
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2019, 01:41:22 PM

I have found this absolutely awesome project, that seems semi abandoned, at least it does not have many of the modern coins you would get into of you would go into the masternode game now. But it for sure does things WAY better then 99% of the stupid noob masternode guides arround that just run one coin as root without systemd, without bothering to move the bins and things like this. I have seen so many horrible guides. And finally I have a good source for dependencies and compile switches for coins.

Did you get anywhere with the ipv6 issues, I am having a few myself trying to use this script.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: