Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 03:57:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expected network topology of Ripple is a fail  (Read 750 times)
timeofmind (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:17:14 AM

By now, I think it is pretty clear that Ripple - with its UNLs - will ultimately become a core of Ripple service providers, while everyone else will use ripple clients that depend on one of these providers. You can go ahead and run your own Ripple server, but your server will be useless unless you put those core service providers into your UNL list, so basically, the network will be completely dependent on a core set of providers. Those providers will have to be trusted not to collude, and basically trusted with the entire operations of the Ripple network.

I've brought this up a number of times in a number of ways, and Ripple supporters all agree, but they say "Bitcoin (or any mined coin) is no better because everyone relies on pools. The pools have all the power, so you have to trust them just the same."

So basically, Ripple consensus is just as good as Bitcoin mining, because the decentralized ideal of Bitcoin is gone.

BitMessage: BM-GtUdgmqs5voD3M6o3X38gM93RyxPhDK9
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:53:54 AM

No, they don't all agree...
You only need some of the current core nodes in your unl to be sure to be part of the main chain, as compared to bitcoin where the Genesis block is simply compiled into the main client.
As ripple uses ledgers, this wouldn't work (you only need about 40 mb to get going, not 10+ GB of data). They could put some core nodes in their code, but then people would again complain that this is too centralized etc.

Your own server isn't useless, it is just a fork if you don't use the main ledger chain.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
timeofmind (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:35:16 PM

No, they don't all agree...
You only need some of the current core nodes in your unl to be sure to be part of the main chain, as compared to bitcoin where the Genesis block is simply compiled into the main client.
As ripple uses ledgers, this wouldn't work (you only need about 40 mb to get going, not 10+ GB of data). They could put some core nodes in their code, but then people would again complain that this is too centralized etc.

Your own server isn't useless, it is just a fork if you don't use the main ledger chain.

"some of the current core nodes". OK. So I put 30% "current core nodes" and 70% nodes that have forked ledgers. How would that work out? Could there end up a proliferation of forked ledgers across the internet? I doubt it. What incentive is there to running a forked ledger, when there is no core of services supporting that fork?

It seems to me that there is little incentive for any individual to run servers in Ripple. Whether you run a server or not, you are dependent on "core nodes"; so you might as well just use a client. I predict that Ripple will simply amount to a core set of services that people connect to through clients; whether you are a selling or buying. In order to knock out the entire Ripple network, it would just take the shutting down of a handful of core services.

In bitcoin, I'm forced to trust the chain with the most combined proof of work. In Ripple I'm forced to trust the ledger built by some particular core providers. I would say Bitcoin is a little more flexible. Right now the majority of the proof of work comes from a few pools, but the network could quickly adapt if those pools proved to be unreliable, and then the source of this proof of work could rapidly change. With Ripple, it would take the network much longer to adjust if the core providers were knocked out ie. due to legal or financial reasons. There would be far more users in the Ripple network who rely on using it via clients that connect to a particular server.

BitMessage: BM-GtUdgmqs5voD3M6o3X38gM93RyxPhDK9
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: