Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:19:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Useful bitcointalk chrome extensions?  (Read 152 times)
GamerSky (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 7

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 06:12:54 AM

I'm a software developer and I've been thinking of creating some chrome extensions that would be helpful for bitcointalk members.
Does anyone have ideas on what would be helpful?
Currently I have one idea, a small window that shows up when you hover trust of a user(put mouse cursor on it), it'll show a summary of the trusted feedback.
If I created such chrome extension, would you guys be interested in it? the source code will be available for public so you can rest assured security wise.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
WCRchanaka

Activity: 118
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 09:12:13 AM

Hey it is a great idea. But I think its better to change the interface of the forum first. Because when we enter the forum,we just getting a feel of a winduws XP/98 user. The interface is that much outdated and also not user friendly. So I siggest to have a good interface for this forum sooner.
It will help the users to find news very easily.
And to find altcoins and bounty programmes very quickly and the signatures must  also change into a modern way.
I prefer the "tiles and the colorful tabs" will do a big thing in the interface if you are willing to change it.
Also you should separate the pages in the home page into tabs that popup when we move the cursor to the home tab. It will be attractive and also will help us to sirf through the forum in a mannered way.
Also please change the background color too. Because it doesn't make any sense when you are using the same color everywhere. And change the smily faces too.
And also please do this.,
When a new person joined the forum,you guys should show him the path to learn about the forum as a skipable tutorial. With some figures too. Then how to rank up,and what are the features you offer them in this forum and etc.

There are so much changes to be done in this forum and I guess this will be some suggession for you to do it.
Thank you
GamerSky (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 08:52:11 PM

To change the interface, the extension will need to modify lots of the DOM and/or styles, while I'm not a style magician if enough people show interest in getting an extension that changes the theme of the forum I'll work it out somehow.

altcoins and bounty programs are a bit different since it'll include loading threads and checking them, which can increase the load time of page, I can however give you an option to create your own 'sticky links' to threads.

I have the feeling you're confusing things here, I'm not associated with the forum managers, I'm doing this just to try giving something to the community.
yurisoares

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:04:43 PM

that is actually a great idea but it would require a lot of development cost
we can start with a public git project to contribute our ideas there
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:16:44 PM

I'm a software developer and I've been thinking of creating some chrome extensions that would be helpful for bitcointalk members.
Currently I have one idea, a small window that shows up when you hover trust of a user(put mouse cursor on it), it'll show a summary of the trusted feedback.
If I created such chrome extension, would you guys be interested in it? the source code will be available for public so you can rest assured security wise.

I'd love to somehow get a notification when someone quotes me or mentions me, but i am not too sure that that is possible without giving you my login details.

I guess you could make it that you'll just give up a UID that you want to follow/get updated on if it(the UID) gets quoted or mentioned somewhere, but then again, that's basically the search function but with a bit more user
convenience and functionality.

loughlin

Activity: 700
Merit: 252

Only Bitcoin!

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:17:05 PM

Maybe forum search can be more useful, especially for Newbie member of forum.
But there always have risk, ad-ons and extensions can be used to hack account, because of that i probably never will be use any extension
GamerSky (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:29:42 AM

that is actually a great idea but it would require a lot of development cost
we can start with a public git project to contribute our ideas there

I'll be doing it in my free time, it won't look professional or be 100% bug free anytime soon, but with time it'll fix it self.

I'd love to somehow get a notification when someone quotes me or mentions me, but i am not too sure that that is possible without giving you my login details.

I guess you could make it that you'll just give up a UID that you want to follow/get updated on if it(the UID) gets quoted or mentioned somewhere, but then again, that's basically the search function but with a bit more user
convenience and functionality.

In theory it's possible, one approach would be scraping the forum but that would upset the admin due to too many requests being sent to server, which I don't want to do. Another approach would be to manually select threads where you want to be notified, and the extension would continuously monitor it from "Show new replies to your posts." page, the down side that it'll make the thread disappear if no one quoted or mentioned you, Login details won't be necessary since extension will be using the existing session (no password leaking risk) and the code would be open source so you can make sure it's not sending your session to another person.

Maybe forum search can be more useful, especially for Newbie member of forum.
But there always have risk, ad-ons and extensions can be used to hack account, because of that i probably never will be use any extension
Security concerns is exactly why I'd make it open source, anyone can read the code and see that no data is being collected without user acceptance (for now, no data at all, but maybe later extension would collect statistics if needed).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: