Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:26:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet encryption using AES 256  (Read 158 times)
kokololo (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 01:12:05 PM

Hi guys,
I have some technical question regarding wallet encryption.
I'm not searching for a ready-made solution, like an existing cold wallet, i'm just curious and trying to find a way to encrypt my wallets on a custom made device.

Let's say i want to encrypt my private keys using AES 256, a traditional password (8 to 10 characters) wouldn't be enough.
Using a master key (stored in a secure element, like physical wallets actually does) + a password seems stronger.

Question:
Is there any weakness in the fact to use the same master key to encrypt several wallets ?
If someone find a copy of my encrypted wallets, would it make it easier for him to 'brute force' them ? (it's like a multi-level equation).
Or is it more advisable to change the master key for each wallet ?.. what are the limits, and how cold stuffs usually works with several wallets ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 01:56:04 PM

Hi guys,
I have some technical question regarding wallet encryption.
I'm not searching for a ready-made solution, like an existing cold wallet, i'm just curious and trying to find a way to encrypt my wallets on a custom made device.

Let's say i want to encrypt my private keys using AES 256, a traditional password (8 to 10 characters) wouldn't be enough.
Using a master key (stored in a secure element, like physical wallets actually does) + a password seems stronger.

Question:
Is there any weakness in the fact to use the same master key to encrypt several wallets ?
If someone find a copy of my encrypted wallets, would it make it easier for him to 'brute force' them ? (it's like a multi-level equation).
Or is it more advisable to change the master key for each wallet ?.. what are the limits, and how cold stuffs usually works with several wallets ?

Memorizing a 16 character password with special characters shouldn't be an impossible task, and it should be safe enough to be impossible to bruteforce without the need of a master key which you can always lose. Im not sure how key derivation would work if they find your master key and you are using it on all your passwords.

In my opinion just memorize a 16 character password with strong characters and forget about master key files. Of course practice it a million times... I didn't, and lost a couple of hard drives encrypted with Veracrypt, now I can't open them, and believe me, no one is going to ever enter again these disks, not even myself. I'll wipe them whenever I feel like it.
kokololo (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 05:05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I'm afraid 16 chars are hard to remember, for people like me who has a short memory.
I'm also not confortable with BIP 39 / seed and paper storage.

- Is using the same passphrase for x wallets make the private keys derivation easier if someone has access to my encrypted wallets ?
- Is using a common master key + different passwords safer if someone has access to my encrypted wallets ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: