Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:47:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silkroad closed down. Owner Arrested.  (Read 9641 times)
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:03:08 PM

It would be funny if the Government had Goldman S. crew sitting on the Bid buying it all the way down.

Dirty bastards... They would do that too.

I am wondering how he is NOT in jail?? Should the vendors/users be concerned... only time will tell.

You're wondering why he's not in Jail? He was arrested in July...

The site was still running until today... does that not make sense to anyone? He made a deal, ran the site, and there are going to be tons of arrests.

If you were selling illegal stuff on SR, they're coming for you if they haven't already.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:03:54 PM

People sell because they think price will go down so they think "i sell now, get money and buy back later cheaper"  Smiley

NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:05:30 PM

While annoying, I'm glad this has happened. I've always hated the druggy, illegal aspect of Bitcoin and I hope this causes more people to question if they want to run illegal businesses with Bitcoin. It also gives the government reason to trust that they can handle bitcoin as a developing technology. If people do illegal crap with it, they can catch them, and if they do perfectly legal business, they can tax them. More rats will fill in the holes left by SR, and they risk getting caught also. Fine by me.

Also... buying opportunity, haha.  Grin Cheesy
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 06:06:53 PM

My website has two wallets. One holds the customer accounts and balances, and the other holds the "house" profit. The private key for the house wallet does not exist anywhere in digital form. No one ever anywhere can possibly compromise the house wallet without physical access to that private key. And that key is not even in my personal possession, although I know exactly where it is. Someday I will use it, but not for many years to come.

Kind of like burying gold bricks in the desert. No one will ever find them without the map. If he thinks like I do those btc will never be recovered unless he chooses to recover them.
Oh, absolutely. The amount seized is only, like, 5% of what Silk Road supposedly made in commissions? If Ulbricht was saving most of his winnings, he's a Shamir user by now.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:08:33 PM

About criminal enterprises, a relevant quote:
It really didn't take much convincing, though, because once you start, I don't believe you can stop until you are *caught*. It is too seductive, way too seductive. Viddy well, little brothers, viddy well

He should have stopped while he was ahead.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 06:08:59 PM

Quote from: nytimes.com
The authorities identified the man as Ross Ulbricht, who was arrested by F.B.I. agents Tuesday afternoon at a library in San Francisco.
Huh

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
thehun
Legendary

Activity: 1212
Merit: 1037

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:11:55 PM

It would be funny if the Government had Goldman S. crew sitting on the Bid buying it all the way down.

Dirty bastards... They would do that too.

I am wondering how he is NOT in jail?? Should the vendors/users be concerned... only time will tell.

The site was still running until today... does that not make sense to anyone? He made a deal, ran the site, and there are going to be tons of arrests.

If you were selling illegal stuff on SR, they're coming for you if they haven't already.

Source?
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:13:08 PM

So reading the complaint IF (and this is a big IF) the FBI is correct then the SR is many magnitudes larger than most predicted.
All told, the site has generated sales revenue totally over 9.5 million Bitcoins and collected commissions from these sales totaling over 600,00 Bitcoins.  Although the value of Bitcoins has varied significantly during the site's lifetime, these figures are roughly equivelent today of approximately $1.2 billion in sales and approximately $80 million in commissions.
pg 6 (section 16).  Sadly the pdf is an image not copyable text so I am not going to hand copy a larger quote.
http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf

On edit:  I guess that isn't as surprising as I thought.  SR has been around ~30 months.  $1.2 billion / 30 = $40 million per month.  In 2012 a study estimated volume at $10M to $15M per month.  In a followup about 6 months later sales were reported to have increased significantly and the author said $40M wasn't unlikely.  I guess just seeing it as a single aggregate figure was shocking.

Yes, it was just there for government shock value.   And most of those coins were used when you need thousands of BTC to buy $200 worth of something (and now the government is saying that those 2,000 BTC are really $290,000...... 
Further in the complaint it gives a number on how much he made in commission in the last year (?) and you get a better picture of size.
He was living in an apartment with roommates and paying $1000 per month.   Not exactly KimDotCom money.

wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:14:40 PM

The authorities identified the man as Ross Ulbricht, who was arrested by F.B.I. agents Tuesday afternoon at a library in San Francisco.
Huh

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/02/feds-arrest-the-alleged-founder-of-bitcoins-largest-drug-market/

The government then identified the primary Silk Road server and obtained an image of its hard drive in July, providing the federal government with a wealth of information about the Silk Road's operations.

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:18:59 PM

Goddamit!

Just like DPR got fucked over by technology, so did I!

I had both http://www.bitcoin-tools.de/index.html AND http://namcdn.com/btcalarm/
running on Firefox AND Opera with alarms set to under 137$ and they all failed me!

Dammit.
sounds like, of the two of you, you came out alright.  Wink
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:25:28 PM

Huh

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/02/feds-arrest-the-alleged-founder-of-bitcoins-largest-drug-market/

The government then identified the primary Silk Road server and obtained an image of its hard drive in July, providing the federal government with a wealth of information about the Silk Road's operations.

I seem to be missing the word "arrest".  Most likely through some manipulation of tor they were able to find and break into the server.   That "wealth of information" probably led to clues which led to more which eventually led to them making the arrest not in July but yesterday.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:25:50 PM

At the bottom of page 20 of the criminal complaint you can get a better feel for the size of Silk Road.   you have to realize that they pick the BIGGEST days for the most shock value.
He received $19,459 of commission on one day and the FBI choose that day.   So, assume it was NOT the biggest day and he made that EVERY DAY.   $19,459 X 364 days = $7,083,076 per year (yet later they seem to indicate it is only $3.4M) in commission.   Let's assume the average commission is 7% (low end so as to maximize the size), that would make Silkroad $100,000,000 per year business.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1301

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

And that Tor is not secure enough for this type of system.

Who's to say that there won't be another SR? This should serve as a lesson. Centralized systems, even if clandestine, are easily brought down.
chadwickx16

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:31:23 PM

Is anyone curious as to why the SR logo is in the background of the seizure notice?? In past FBI seizure's the logo has never appeared.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████████████
░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████████████
░░████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░▀███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████████████████
░░░░░▄▄██████████████████████████████████
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌
▐█████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
▐██████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░███████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░▐████████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░▐███████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:33:13 PM

I seem to be missing the word "arrest".  Most likely through some manipulation of tor they were able to find and break into the server.   That "wealth of information" probably led to clues which led to more which eventually led to them making the arrest not in July but yesterday.

Read the whole article. I'll quote more for you.

The government says it identified Ulbricht after a routine border search of a package that contained nine counterfeit IDs. The package was shipped from Canada to an address in San Francisco. When the government visited the San Francisco address, they found Ulbricht there.

It says because of the fake id's they found him there, then they talk about finding the server, and they mention July.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:35:05 PM

Is anyone curious as to why the SR logo is in the background of the seizure notice?? In past FBI seizure's the logo has never appeared.
http://media.coindesk.com/2013/10/silk-road-marketplace-seized.jpg

http://ryangreenberg.com/files/2012/megaupload/megaupload.png
also, past seizure images did not have drop shadows on the logos.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:35:22 PM

Do an images search for domain seized. They have FBI logos on them, all the agencies involved. I've never seen the company that they seized their logo in the background, and have never seen it for a hidden service.

wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:35:51 PM

http://media.coindesk.com/2013/10/silk-road-marketplace-seized.jpg

http://ryangreenberg.com/files/2012/megaupload/megaupload.png
also, past seizure images did not have drop shadows on the logos.

Read my post above this one, yes they have.

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:36:39 PM

It says the FBI seized BTC worth $3.6 Million US. Thats about ~25,500 BTC.

That's 25,000 btc that can now be tracked by the Feds. They'll probably use them to setup fake SR-style honeytraps.
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:40:51 PM

It says the FBI seized BTC worth $3.6 Million US. Thats about ~25,500 BTC.

That's 25,000 btc that can now be tracked by the Feds. They'll probably use them to setup fake SR-style honeytraps.
can now be tracked? i don't understand. blockchain was always public.... the feds are already holding the "marked" money -- how does that help them going forward?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: