Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:20:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silkroad closed down. Owner Arrested.  (Read 9641 times)
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:45:46 PM

can now be tracked? i don't understand. blockchain was always public.... the feds are already holding the "marked" money -- how does that help them going forward?

The blockchain is public but the info is meaningless unless real world info can be attached to it. These coins can now be used in fake buying operations or any other entrapment in order to gather intel.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:06:58 PM

It would be pretty amusing if the site came back up again, DPR claiming that his "decoy" had worked, or some such story. Funny as well as thought provoking.

Vires in numeris
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:13:35 PM

can now be tracked? i don't understand. blockchain was always public.... the feds are already holding the "marked" money -- how does that help them going forward?

The blockchain is public but the info is meaningless unless real world info can be attached to it. These coins can now be used in fake buying operations or any other entrapment in order to gather intel.

You're stupid to think they didnt already do that b4 the seize.

You must think the feds are some poor college kid living in his mom's basement like you, dont you.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 07:16:25 PM

I seem to be missing the word "arrest".  Most likely through some manipulation of tor they were able to find and break into the server.   That "wealth of information" probably led to clues which led to more which eventually led to them making the arrest not in July but yesterday.

Read the whole article. I'll quote more for you.

The government says it identified Ulbricht after a routine border search of a package that contained nine counterfeit IDs. The package was shipped from Canada to an address in San Francisco. When the government visited the San Francisco address, they found Ulbricht there.

The government then identified the primary Silk Road server and obtained an image of its hard drive in July, providing the federal government with a wealth of information about the Silk Road's operations.

It says because of the fake id's they found him there, then they talk about finding the server, and they mention July.
If that narrative is to be believed, it sure adds lovely poetic overtones to that September DPR response to Atlantis's closure.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:16:36 PM

babble and ad hominem edited

plonk.
Bitcoinreminder.com

Activity: 240

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:22:37 PM

Goddamit!

Just like DPR got fucked over by technology, so did I!

I had both http://www.bitcoin-tools.de/index.html AND http://namcdn.com/btcalarm/
running on Firefox AND Opera with alarms set to under 137$ and they all failed me!

Dammit.

Maybe you should have tried our service under www.bitcoinreminder.com Grin
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:29:47 PM

I seem to be missing the word "arrest".  Most likely through some manipulation of tor they were able to find and break into the server.   That "wealth of information" probably led to clues which led to more which eventually led to them making the arrest not in July but yesterday.

Read the whole article. I'll quote more for you.

The government says it identified Ulbricht after a routine border search of a package that contained nine counterfeit IDs. The package was shipped from Canada to an address in San Francisco. When the government visited the San Francisco address, they found Ulbricht there.

The government then identified the primary Silk Road server and obtained an image of its hard drive in July, providing the federal government with a wealth of information about the Silk Road's operations.

It says because of the fake id's they found him there, then they talk about finding the server, and they mention July.
If that narrative is to be believed, it sure adds lovely poetic overtones to that September DPR response to Atlantis's closure.

Indeed.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:40:57 PM

Is anyone curious as to why the SR logo is in the background of the seizure notice?? In past FBI seizure's the logo has never appeared.

Do an images search for domain seized. They have FBI logos on them, all the agencies involved. I've never seen the company that they seized their logo in the background, and have never seen it for a hidden service.

I think they are so FUCKING PROUD of having shut down SR that they couldn't resist to leave a camel there. "Hey we did it! Fuck you all!"
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:41:12 PM

So the crash was caused by good news?  lol  Smiley

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
driksson

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:43:05 PM

or by huge sales amounts. which i believe can be confiscated wallets as written in the report. why not sell and pay off part of us govt debt?
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:48:02 PM

or by huge sales amounts. which i believe can be confiscated wallets as written in the report. why not sell and pay off part of us govt debt?

If they held onto them for a few years, they could pay off the entire national debt with them!

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
bomboclat77

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:53:52 PM

fund the cia black ops.

teletobi

Activity: 734

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:55:26 PM

Of Course, "Sell on good News!"

Join the Elastic revolution!  Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC WEBSITE | NEW ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 08:06:35 PM

If they held onto them for a few years, they could pay off the entire national debt with them!

You clearly don't have good comprehension of the liabilities the US government is facing...

BTC Long.
anonymous_acc

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 08:17:28 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2013, 12:26:00 AM by anonymous_acc

Three onions domains are closed:
http://[removed].onion

But another two silkroad's clones are up:

http://[removed].onion - The Silk Road Anonymous Market

http://[removed].onion - Silk Road forums - Index

Edit: links removed, is it logical in this light? By the links you can get FBI's jpg. And two unknown clones of silk.

BTC: 1HRcwjxG2H5vSnNo5ZbGqMxRPFWJk6dwW9
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 08:21:41 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2013, 11:12:41 PM by psy

Three onions domains are closed:

But another two silkroad's clones are up:

http://[removed].onion - The Silk Road Anonymous Market

http://[removed].onion - Silk Road forums - Index

Honey trap or Dead Man's Switch? Time will tell...

I think I'm cancelling my Silk Road speedball subscription for now  Grin

Vires in numeris
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 08:31:58 PM

"All told, the site has generated sales revenue totaling over 9.5 million Bitcoins and collected commissions from these sales totaling over 600,000 Bitcoins. Although the value of Bitcoins has varied significantly during the site's lifetime, these figures are roughly equivalent today to approximately $1.2 billion in sales and approximately $80 million in commissions."

Does this mean that 600,000 BTC (give or take) is off the "market"?  Holy crap - if those coins are gone, the value could skyrocket!

wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 08:33:29 PM

You clearly don't have good comprehension of the liabilities the US government is facing...

Or I'm incredibly bullish!

Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 08:33:37 PM

Bitcoin too big for this event to make a significant drop in price.

IMO the most interesting question is how was SR busted.
From what I've read the owner was very cautious. Is the TOR network broken?

seems, no. :-)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47811.msg568744#msg568744
Hello, sorry if there is another thread for this kind of post, but I couldn't find one.  I'm looking for the best and brightest IT pro in the bitcoin community to be the lead developer in a venture backed bitcoin startup company.  The ideal candidate would have at least several years of web application development experience, having built applications from the ground up.  A solid understanding of oop and software architecture is a must.  Experience in a start-up environment is a plus, or just being super hard working, self-motivated, and creative.

Compensation can be in the form of equity or a salary, or somewhere in-between.

If interested, please send your answers to the following questions to rossulbricht at gmail dot com

1) What are your qualifications for this position?
2) What interests you about bitcoin?

From there, we can talk about things like compensation and references and I can answer your questions as well.  Thanks in advance to any interested parties.  If anyone knows another good place to recruit, I am all ears.

rossulbricht@gmail.com
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 08:38:11 PM

Any recent major transactions that show the feds have actually taken the funds?

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: